WATER CHALLENGE

Options
nikarjc
nikarjc Posts: 13 Member
I have been struggling with this same issue 1month post gastric bypass and I wanted some help and encouragement to get my water in.... I'm shooting for a goal of 60oz of water a day!!! Who's with me?? I'll be checking in everyday with my total water/water equivalent intake. I encourage you to do the same!!

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I need to get 80-100 for everything to flow smoothly. I drink 16 oz protein shake every morning, 3 big mugs of tea during work (14-16 oz. each) and then when I get home, I have 20 oz more, usually a Vitamin Water Zero.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    at 9 months post oop I still only get 32 oz of fluids (all fluids) a day. That being said, I had this problem even before surgery. I am still trying to do better. but I feel like I am so full all the time. I would never eat with a higher water intake. Probably not true, but feels that way.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is one area I don't have any problem with, drinking plenty of water (usually.) I have had about two occurances where I didn't, and believe me, after coming close to dying because, what, because I didn't drink enough? I make SURE I get plenty of water.

In my case, I had been out riding my motorcycle for an hour or two, and stopped at the dealership to pick up a pair of gloves. I had been off the bike maybe ten minutes, and was standing in line at the register, waiting for my turn. I got really, REALLY annoyed with the customer in front of me (through no fault of his own), and felt my anger and resentment growing. Turns out, that's a warning sign...

He finished, and I got to the counter, said hello to the salesman, etc, he rang me up...I felt bad, I knew something wasn't right...suddenly, I just felt...something was wrong...I never had a chance to really identify it, because the next thing I knew, I had passed out, fallen forward toward the counter...the salesman caught me, and the customers behind me grabbed me...another customer ran for a chair, and they sat me down in the chair until I woke back up...luckily, my best friend was with me, too. They were in the process of calling an ambulance when I woke up...

All this happened because I didn't drink enough (or eat enough) that morning...so between being de-hydrated and then my blood sugar dropping, that almost turned fatal. Remember, ten minutes earlier, I had been riding a motorcycle at 55mph...What if that happened ten minutes sooner, or if I hadn't unexpectedly decided to stop to buy a pair of gloves?

I take water intake VERY seriously now. I purchased an excellent water bottle (I like the Hydroflask, 40oz bottle, because it keeps my drink, and my ice, for almost 36 hours), and I drink 40oz every morning after breakfast, but before lunch. 40oz every afternoon after lunch, but before dinner. And another 40oz every night, after dinner, before bed.

It's NOT worth dying for, not drinking.

So basiclaly, I decided how much water I should drink in a day (one ounce for every two pounds of body weight), I broke it up into three convenient "sizes" (120oz of water, divided by 3, got me 40), and make sure I drink 3 of those bottles full of water every day. By breaking it up to a morning, afternoon, and evening, bottle, I always know I'm on target, or when I'm not.

Hey, have a great day, everyone!

-BootJockey

"If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!"
  • nikarjc
    nikarjc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So for the last week I've been getting at least 48oz of water plus my 8oz of protein shake ...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So basiclaly, I decided how much water I should drink in a day (one ounce for every two pounds of body weight),
    I go by the color of my pee.