Getting Noticed at the Gym

Options
vt2200a
vt2200a Posts: 38 Member
I am on my last week of Stage 1 and my weights have increased significantly since I first started the program. In the book Lou says that women should probably add 10% to their weight and I should have listened more carefully. My first week my deadlifts only used the bar and now I realize I could have done a lot more.

But anyway I have noticed that since my weights are getting higher more people are noticing me at the gym and I've found that it doesn't bother me at all. When I line up my deadlifts and squats I catch the glances in the mirror and people pointing me out to others. It is never done in a what is she thinking way but more of a look at her go kind of way. I noticed it the other day during my squats and today during my deadlifts.

What I find particularly funny are the men who don't know what to do when they see me lift. Today I was setting up my deadlift and it was nothing special, each side got a 25lb and 10lb plate. One guy who was lifting near me put his trainer on hold while he lifted the barbell for me to slide on my plates. My first thought was to get offended, what he doesn't think I can do it myself? And then my other thought is that guys don't know what to do with women in the weight room. Do they treat them as one of their own or do they treat them like they have taught to treat women? In this case I think he was just being nice. He was lifting right next to me and merely lifted the bar so I could slide on the plate.

I think I got lucky in terms of my gym. I go to a Y and everyone is great and encouraging. Never have I felt judged or intimidated to try something out. Although I do still try to keep the prone jack knife to a secluded area (no one needs to see that). I've read horror stories of random people offering their two cents without thinking first and that has never happened to me. I would in fact welcome any advice as I always have a little backpain after deadlifts (I think I arch my back too much without thinking).

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thats great.

I go early in the morning, the same people are there every day. Although we don't talk yet, we do nod and say hello.
    I have noticed that the men seem more comfortable around me now.
    There were 3 new guys there this morning, they stared for a while, then just got on with their own stuff.

I want to see another woman ding NROL4W. There are a few women, but none seem to be following the book. I have to stop myself from telling them about it, I don't want to offend anyone by sticking my nose in their business.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Your back pain is due to over-extending your back during deadlifts because the bar is too close to the ground. If you're unable to put a 45lb. plate on each side then I recommend doing Romanian deadlifts instead. Just until your strength increases.

Another option is to stack plates to get the bar higher off the ground. Some gyms have training plates that are the same diameter as a 45lb. plate but they're made of lighter materials.

Deadlifts need to be treated with the utmost respect and perfect form, otherwise serious back injury can happen. Be careful!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Vt - I SO love the compliments and getting noticed! I just finished stage 1, but have gotten as far as stage 3 before...I look forward to letting VERY heavy over the next several months!

Rachie - I also look at the serious female lifters to see if they are doing new rules!
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good for you not being intimidated! I am on my first week and actually get a nervous stomach on the drive to the gym! I have used the dumbbells for biceps/triceps etc in the past but am out of my comfort zone now. I am terrified of the squat rack (did use the Smith Machine today though without incident :) and am generally confused much of the time. I have used barbells before in Strong class but the ones in the Weight Room are different (olympic). I'm still confused about what equipment to use sometimes I guess. My gym is pretty spread out so I feel like I do a lot of scurrying around when doing the alternating sets to get from one piece of equipment to the other.

Slowly but surely I will figure it out! Good for you that you've made it this far!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    If you have having back pain you need to check your form and like an above poster mentioned, you should stack plates to bring the bar up higher. It should be mid-shin.

As for the compilments - enjoy them! I am "just one of the guys" at my gym and usually am the one they compare the weak guys to (in joking manner of course). I do have some that look at me, normally the ones who don't know me, but I always am one to smile and say hi...they are less intimidated at talking if I say something first. FWIW, I deadlift 175 x 10 & squat 185 x 10.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I got noticed by one of the PT's the other day... for some reason he felt the need to ask me how often I was working my legs?? I gave him the book for him to look through while I finished off. He said it was a great workout and that more women need to be doing it :-)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I got noticed by one of the PT's the other day... for some reason he felt the need to ask me how often I was working my legs?? I gave him the book for him to look through while I finished off. He said it was a great workout and that more women need to be doing it :-)

I had a couple sessions with a PT and she thought this sounded great too!
    I was at the gym yesterday (Sunday is usually a rest day) and there was one guy who was just staring at me! I thought it was kind of amusing, the guys I see there regularly don't really pay me any attention anymore. I just smiled at him, then crushed a few lifts. :smile:
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am on my last week of Stage 1 and my weights have increased significantly since I first started the program. In the book Lou says that women should probably add 10% to their weight and I should have listened more carefully. My first week my deadlifts only used the bar and now I realize I could have done a lot more.

But anyway I have noticed that since my weights are getting higher more people are noticing me at the gym and I've found that it doesn't bother me at all. When I line up my deadlifts and squats I catch the glances in the mirror and people pointing me out to others. It is never done in a what is she thinking way but more of a look at her go kind of way. I noticed it the other day during my squats and today during my deadlifts.

What I find particularly funny are the men who don't know what to do when they see me lift. Today I was setting up my deadlift and it was nothing special, each side got a 25lb and 10lb plate. One guy who was lifting near me put his trainer on hold while he lifted the barbell for me to slide on my plates. My first thought was to get offended, what he doesn't think I can do it myself? And then my other thought is that guys don't know what to do with women in the weight room. Do they treat them as one of their own or do they treat them like they have taught to treat women? In this case I think he was just being nice. He was lifting right next to me and merely lifted the bar so I could slide on the plate.

I think I got lucky in terms of my gym. I go to a Y and everyone is great and encouraging. Never have I felt judged or intimidated to try something out. Although I do still try to keep the prone jack knife to a secluded area (no one needs to see that). I've read horror stories of random people offering their two cents without thinking first and that has never happened to me. I would in fact welcome any advice as I always have a little backpain after deadlifts (I think I arch my back too much without thinking).

I am glad someone else goes to a Y, I have never been in a weight room really and was wondering if they showed you how to properly use the weights and equipment? I was going to start a couple months ago, walked into the weight room and saw all the different weights and intimidating guys and walked right back out. I know its pathetic but I don't like trying to talk to people I don't know and I feel out of place.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When I first started I think I got shrugged off by a lot of guys at the gym. Luckily my husband is there to help if I need anything. I still remember trying to do step ups and I kept getting pushed out of the way by guys using 5# dumbells for a shoulder exercise and I was using 35#ers. It made me chuckle. I think that now I've become a permanent fixture over in the weight area that there is some respect. I have yet to see another chick do deadlifts and OB squats. I think it would be awesome if someone did!
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Like LB2LL, I too have yet to see another woman in the 'man' weights section. There is an area set up on the other side of the gym with lighter free weights (Body Pump style) that the women tend to use but I've never seen anyone doing what I do. Then again, I have never felt out of place or like I have been being judged for going in there. I sometimes sense the men looking at me but like others in this thread have said, I think it's because they don't really know what to think! Ultimate confusion.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't think women are seen as anything unusual in the weight section anymore. I doubt people are staring as much as you think they are. Men are pretty used to seeing girlies in 'their' section of the gym in this day and age I recon....
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    After reading the OP, I am just so glad of two things:

1. I do my lifting at home and
    2. I am over 50

I can just get on with my workout and not spend my time wondering who is looking at me. It was the thing that p*ssed me off when I did attend a gym years ago, the people who paraded in front of the mirrors more intent on making an impression on others than actually doing their workout.

Also tbh, now my weights are higher, I find I need to fully concentrate on my lifts which is the main part of the workout!!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I can just get on with my workout and not spend my time wondering who is looking at me. It was the thing that p*ssed me off when I did attend a gym years ago, the people who paraded in front of the mirrors more intent on making an impression on others than actually doing their workout.

Also tbh, now my weights are higher, I find I need to fully concentrate on my lifts which is the main part of the workout!!

I need the mirrors! I don't have a spotter and the mirrors help me check my form. Plus it is great to look in the mirror and appreciate my body rather than look at the 'bad bits'. My body is finally in a place I am happy with and it is such a relief to look in the mirror and be able to celebrate that. Strictly no strutting here though, I find it's the men at the gym who tend to do that haha
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I need the mirrors! I don't have a spotter and the mirrors help me check my form. Plus it is great to look in the mirror and appreciate my body rather than look at the 'bad bits'. My body is finally in a place I am happy with and it is such a relief to look in the mirror and be able to celebrate that. Strictly no strutting here though, I find it's the men at the gym who tend to do that haha

LOL I totally agree that it is very healthy to want to look at ourselves and appreciate how our bodies are looking as we learn to like ourselves again. The mirrors do serve a purpose in the gym, as you say, to check form etc. Even at my age I can appreciate 'talent' spotting in the mirror, I just have a problem with people who are looking purely to see who's checking *them* out.

ETA - spelling error - it's late in UK.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have decided I dont get enough men looking at me when I lift at the gym after reading this thread. I am going to start grunting and chucking the weights around to get a bit more attention I think. Humph. :devil: :laugh:
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I have decided I dont get enough men looking at me when I lift at the gym after reading this thread. I am going to start grunting and chucking the weights around to get a bit more attention I think. Humph. :devil: :laugh:

Hahahaha this made me laugh. I got approached by a different PT yesterday. He asked me what I was training for. "errr.... fun?" I responded. Lol. Women doing deadlifts must be a rarity at my gym too.

Although I'm pretty sure people only look at me when I accidentally start singing out loud with my iPod on haha
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone else goes to a Y, I have never been in a weight room really and was wondering if they showed you how to properly use the weights and equipment? I was going to start a couple months ago, walked into the weight room and saw all the different weights and intimidating guys and walked right back out. I know its pathetic but I don't like trying to talk to people I don't know and I feel out of place.

I go to the Y, too. I was too confused to figure it all out so I asked the person at the desk where everything was for the workout I was about to do. I wanted to sign up for an orientation, but she said they pretty much only show you the machines, not the free weights.

I see at least one or two other women lifting every time I go. I keep peeking to see if anyone else is carrying the book around! Mine's in plain sight, so anyone can ask me about it. :)

I have no idea if anyone is looking at me. I trained myself years ago to not be self-conscious. EVERYONE is, so I don't want to spend that negative energy!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Almost at the end of stage 1 and was complimented on my muscles today by another gym goer. Then a gym regular asked to look at my book. Progress is happening here - yay!