Deadlifts in Stage 1

Options
My gym only has Smith Machines. No squat rack or barbells. They do have dumbbells. I have been reading that its not the best to do deadlifts on a smith machine. Is there a way to do this properly or with dumbbells?

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Don't use the smith machine. That much I know. It restricts the natural movement. Try youtubing videos of deadlifts with barbells. That's got to be a better option.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I would have to look, but I *think* you can do Romanian Deadlifts with dumbbells for a substitute. It's not the same range of motion and doesn't work as many muscles, but still a good lift.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Before I joined a gym and before my husband moved our equipment around so the squat rack was available I did goblet squats. The problem with using the dumbbells was that I didn't have grip strength to hold the weight I could lift. If I'd known about versagrips then I would have been better off.

I think cowgirl is right, Romanian DLs might be a decent substitute but you're not going to get the same lift as doing regular "back" squats from the rack
  • sunset1004
    sunset1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and we don't have barbells. I have been trying to do the deadlifts with the dumbbells, being careful not to let my knees bow inward and imitating the movement described in the book with barbells as closely as possible. Hopefully this isn't going to hurt me in the long run...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Here's a video showing deadlifts with dumbbells.

However, I think the guy is going too far down. You should lower the dumbbells down to around your mid-shin area, not toes. Just until you feel a good stretch in your hamstrings. Keep your back flat (!) as the guy is doing correctly.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/dumbbell-stiff-leg-deadlift.html
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't use the smith machine. That much I know. It restricts the natural movement. Try youtubing videos of deadlifts with barbells. That's got to be a better option.

Couldn't get on the squat rack on Saturday so used the Smith machine for the first time ever. Totally understand what you mean about it restricting the natural movement and struggled to squat as low as normal - felt very uncomfortable. Will be avoiding in future!