Waistline discomfort

Options
gatorginger
gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
Okay I have lost 22 pounds and I wear a size 4 or 6 my problem is things still bother me in the waist. Is anyone else having this issue and why do you think we still have this problem.

Replies

• gatorginger
    Options
    bump
  • lyn1uk
    lyn1uk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think its because as you lose your ability to make female hormones through your ovaries/womb you put on extra fat around your abdomen as this poduces a weak version of those hormones (can't remember whether its progesterone or oestrogen) and its an attempt by your body to protect your bones as it helps to keep osteoporosis at bay. i once worked on an orthopaedic ward and noticed that it was generally the skinny women that came in with broken hips and not fatter ones and i think this must be why. so when we see our little pod of a belly that won't quite go perhaps we should be pleased as we are less likely to break a hip when we are older.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The dreaded buddha belly.

My weight has held relatively steady (5'6" 130-135), and my lifting routine has held steady, AND I've been running throughout this time and yet my waist is growing.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it's getting tough to find pants! One size is too baggy in the butt (which has disappeared), but the next size down is tight in the waist. I try to find pants that hit below the waist, but don't like them too low. I'm 54, for heaven's sake and don't need a "whale tale" (or in my case, granny panty tale) sticking out above my pants!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    It's just so frustrating my tummy has shrunk along with my waistline but I still get the discomfort :{
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories a day. Are your meals balanced? Correct amount of carbs per day? Protein per day? Sugar? Sodium? etc. etc.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Yes I am eating enough calories and I do watch the sodium but other than the sodium I don't pay attention to other things.
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    I am 54 years old and I know all about menopause. That is why I ask about your meals. It will help you tremendously if you balance your meals. Balance I mean: 4 oz protein, 1 cup veggies, 1/2 cup carbs for three meals per day and then a healthy snack between meals. I promise, if you do this; especially us ladies who are this time of our life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am 54 years old and I know all about menopause. That is why I ask about your meals. It will help you tremendously if you balance your meals. Balance I mean: 4 oz protein, 1 cup veggies, 1/2 cup carbs for three meals per day and then a healthy snack between meals. I promise, if you do this; especially us ladies who are this time of our life.
    YES! I think food balancing is super important as well. A question: what do you consider "1/2 cup carbs"? What are the carbs you're thinking of? I guess I've never considered my carbs in "cups" before, so not sure what you're meaning there.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    My problem is I don't like very many veggies and I'm not the healthiest eater. I have lost all the weight I want to lose I was just frustrated with still feeling uncomfortable in my waist with certain things, I mean I'm down to a size four you would think you wouldn't have to deal with that anymore lol.
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    I am speaking of a complex carb that you should have with 3 of your meals per day.
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    The scale weight has nothing to do with how healthy we are. The only way to be healthy and feel good is eating the right foods at the proper times and combining the proper foods with each meal. And of course, we need a good sound work out routine. All women, but especially women our age need resistance training.

The best work out ever as an example?
    Monday...Cardio
    Tuesday-Resistance Training
    Wednesday-Cardio
    Thursday-Resistance Training
    Friday-Cardio-
    Saturday Resistance Training
    Sunday-Rest

Pick up those dumbbells, kettle bells, resistance cords, thera bands, gym machines, etc etc. Women need this so much...so much!!!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    What is a complex carb? I eat plenty of carbs
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    I think I have my food open to the public if you care to take a peek of it to understand what I mean by balanced.
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    Make sure you know the difference in a complex carb and simple carb. Try and omit simple carbs from your diet. You need complex carbs, those are your energy if you season them healthy and limit them to 1/2 cup per meal. A list of complex carbs are:

Potato
    Sweet potato
    Yams
    Squash
    Pumpkin
    Steamed brown rice
    Steamed wild rice
    Lentils
    Couscous
    Kashi
    Bulgur
    Whole-wheat pasta
    Oatmeal
    Barley
    Beans (black, kidney)
    Corn
    Strawberries
    Melon
    Apple
    Orange
    Fat-free yogurt
    Fat-free milk
    Whole-wheat bread
    High-fiber cereal
    Whole-wheat tortilla
    Whole-wheat pita bread
    Whole grains
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    I am talking about complex carbs. I measure all my food. I have a food scale and I use my measuring cups too.
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    I read your profile. I am a runner too. I actually teach 'learn to run' classes. My plan is to run a 1/2 this October then I am going to back off and become a 5k junkie!

I am a race director too. I direct five races each year in the town I live in.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am speaking of a complex carb that you should have with 3 of your meals per day.
    Oh, gotcha. We're on the same page!
  • GetFit1129
    Options
    I wanted to share with you ladies by my own trial and error, if I omit my carb for my last meal of the day, I feel so much better. I just add another veggie or I double my veggie (1 cup to 2 cups) for my last meal. This is what I found for me personally to work. I am not saying everyone needs to do this.

As we approach menopause or are in the middle of it as I am, our bodies do not respond to diet and exercise as it did when we we younger. This was the most difficult for me. I actually got very depressed over it. As a fitness instructor and I teach nutrition classes, I had to do much research on the female body, our hormones, and I even bought a book on how to handle menopause without medication. So far, I am dealing with it through proper eating, exercise and I do take supplements, but I do not take any hormone replacement. I have a very loving husband which helps tremendously.

I am sure most of you take Vitamin D and calcium. And please weight train. When I say weight train I avoid those little pink dumbbells and weight train like you mean it! No, you are not going to get bulky and look like a man and yes you can pick up those bad boys and work out. Find yourself a good well rounded routine and go for it. Don't forget your cardio, you need to build up a strong heart and lungs.

My goal is to get back into my size 6 clothes, but the size of my clothes does not matter if I am flabby; I mean how sexy is fat on a small frame? It's not!

Luckily I only gained 20 lbs with menopause and I have lost 10 of that 20 so far. It has taken me since before Christmas to lose those 10 lbs and that is what so frustrating for me. In my 20, 30 , 40's...shoot I could lose 10lbs in a month. Shew! Not anymore! I am 54 now and I have been dealing with the big M since I turned 49. Enough already. Ya know???

Thanks for reading this! I guess I needed to vent to women in the same boat I am in.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice I do enjoy reading them