Hot and Sour Soup

Options
kcook323
kcook323 Posts: 43 Member
I have been craving Hot and Sour Soup. I just recently got acquainted with it at all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets. The only thing I used to eat was Egg Drop, I gave the Hot and Sour a try, and I was hooked! So anyways.....I have been looking for an easy recipe. I'm not a fan of complicated ingredient recipes, so it is why I chose this one. Even nicer that it is a Weight Watcher recipe, although I don't follow Weight Watchers anymore.

I got all the ingredients for this hot and sour soup last night (except hopefully white mushrooms will work, all that had was the white mushrooms or portabellas. I could not find shiitake.) . I hope it tastes good. I'm going to make it today, and probably eat it this weekend. I heard that if you make it a day ahead of time it is always better, and gives the tofu time to take on the flavor of the soup. If you make it, or even have a better recipe than this, feel free to share.

The link is here, for copyright purposes, http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=55351, but I'll go ahead and post the recipe here, copy and pasted from the site.

Hot and Sour Soup
Weight Watchers Recipe
2PointsPlus Value
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
Other time: 0 min
Serves: 6

Low in calories and fat, and very quick to prepare, Hot and Sour Soup is a delicious change of pace from the usual lunchtime fare.

Ingredients
4 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp asian hot sauce, or chili paste, or to taste
2 cup(s) dried shiitake mushroom(s), sliced
1/3 cup(s) uncooked bamboo shoots, sliced
9 oz firm tofu, about 1 cup, diced
1 Tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced

Instructions

In a soup pot, stir together broth, vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and tofu. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in cornstarch and simmer 2 minutes more.

Serve, sprinkling each bowl with sliced scallions. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

© 2013 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2013 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and PointsPlus® are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc.

Replies

• cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious! Thanks for posting!
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This sounds quite yummy...I think I will try it! Have you tried it yet, with the white mushrooms? How'd it turn out?

-BootJockey

"If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!"
  • kcook323
    kcook323 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It turned out good, but since I never made it with the original, I'm not sure if there is a difference. I did see that another grocery store in my town had the shiitakes, but I had already made it with the white mushrooms. I have a "thing" with tofu. It really doesn't taste bad, but I can't seem to get over it. I think adding chicken or lean pork might be as good (per other, more complicated recipes).