different after babies

I had my son a year ago. Since then, Ive been down to my ideal weight. Ive been going to the gym and working my butt off. Im seeing results but Im not seeing the lean and tone look that I use to have. Instead, Im gaining bulky muscle. Is this just because my baby has stretched me to oblivion and my muscles arent the same anymore? What to do? What to do?!

Replies

• Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    I had 4 kids, and even though I'm down to my old size, my body is just ...different. My hips are slightly wider (I added an inch to them that will never leave, LOL, but oh well, that's nothing really) and it just seems like my body WANTS to hold on to fat, and I WISH I could gain some strength.

I don't have any advice, but I can commiserate. My abs are not as fabulous as they used to be, and I think it's because of all the stretching. My stomach looks great for having had kids, but I miss the abs I had in college.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    sigh, i agree,
    my kids are noe 14 and 20,
    i am 41 and i tell ya,
    my life is just getting good
  • freekat
    freekat Posts: 71 Member
    My after kids body is definitely different but I'm completely ok with that. I'm never going to fit in my wedding dress again but that's alright. I just look to be healthy so I can keep up with my three teenagers.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Yes!! I'm down to BC (before child) weight. But my body is so different! What I had was a firm stomach and smaller hips. Now, I have slightly wider hips and flabby belly still. So yes it happens it seems
  • JamieA8
    JamieA8 Posts: 36 Member
    I have no advice to give but wanted to add my sorrow at the loss of my abs also. :smile: I start to complain about the stretched out skin from where my kiddos lived for 9 months but then every time I look at it and start to get upset, I remember their smiling little faces and it is all worth it.

I have been doing some pilates lately though and it seems to be helping a little, but nothing is bouncing back the way it use to.
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    I think I look better now than before I had my daughter. My hips are wider, but they now measure evenly with my shoulders giving me a more balanced look. I lifted weights before and during my pregnancy which I think helped alot. I've lost 40 pounds she was born and my abs are back. Babies can make changes to your body, but don't let it hold you down or discourage you.
  • I agree with the others, don't get discouraged! I weigh less now than before I had any children (have 3, youngest is 1). I'm smaller now than even before high school. I attribute all this to working out (run) diligently, core ab work and portion control. It took me 24 mths with our second to lose the weight and by raising the bar this time I did it in 15 mths. I'm still have 3-4 lbs to go but I'm determined to get there. Stick with what your doing and drink plenty of water too.
  • My skin is defiantly not the same pre-baby either though...but I'm healthier and feel the best I ever have. I know I will never have a taut belly with a 6 pack but I'm ok with that too!