Weight lifting belts - good, bad, or it depends?

Options
Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
Sometimes I see folks wearing those big fat leather belts while lifting. What exactly is the purpose? If it's to support the back, does that lessen the workout and strengthening you get for your core? I they more important when first starting out or only when you're lifting super heavy at advanced stages? Are they a good idea, if yes... When, Why & for what? Are they a bad idea, if yes , why? Is there a right or wrong way to wear or be fitted for one? If it all depends,.. then on what and why?

I'm here to learn, so please let's discuss.

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    It helps your abs do their job better. All it does
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Thank you. That was the kind of input I was hoping for. But I was confused and interested to read the author said to push out with the abdominals, I always tighten mine in for core support. Should I be pushing them out, or is that only with a belt?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thank you. That was the kind of input I was hoping for. But I was confused and interested to read the author said to push out with the abdominals, I always tighten mine in for core support. Should I be pushing them out, or is that only with a belt?

I am probably not going to explain this well, but you need to tighten your core - the pressure of the lifting will have your abs pushing out at the same time. I will see if I can find an article explaining it better.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Adding here the explanation of the Valsalva maneuver, which should be used for squats and deadlifts, and may help explain the question re the core and the use of a belt (plagiarized from Starting Strength):

"It behooves us to understand the function of the Valsalva maneuver, the proper term for holding the breath against a closed glottis while pressure is applied by the abdominal and thoracic muscles, during the squat.

When you inhale, pressure increases in your thoracic cavity. When you hold your breath and tighten your trunk muscles, this pressure increases more. Since your thoracic and abdominal cavities are separated by only your diaphragm, abdominal pressure increases too. Thus, pressure in your abdominal and thoracic cavities is being applied to the anterior side of your spine, from the front to the back. The spinal vertebrae are being held in the correct anatomical position by your back musculature, and this correct position is reinforced by static pressure transmitted to the belly side of the spine across the hydrostatic column of the gut, the essentially non-compressible contents of the abdominal cavity. As pressure in the thoracic cavity increases with a big held breath, and this pressure is increased by the tightening of the abs and obliques, more anterior support develops for the spine. The back muscles position and support the spine from the back; the abs, with the aid of a big breath, support it from the front. A weightlifting belt adds to this effect, its main function being to add to anterior support rather than to apply pressure from the back."
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Adding here the explanation of the Valsalva maneuver, which should be used for squats and deadlifts, and may help explain the question re the core and the use of a belt (plagiarized from Starting Strength):

"It behooves us to understand the function of the Valsalva maneuver, the proper term for holding the breath against a closed glottis while pressure is applied by the abdominal and thoracic muscles, during the squat.

When you inhale, pressure increases in your thoracic cavity. When you hold your breath and tighten your trunk muscles, this pressure increases more. Since your thoracic and abdominal cavities are separated by only your diaphragm, abdominal pressure increases too. Thus, pressure in your abdominal and thoracic cavities is being applied to the anterior side of your spine, from the front to the back. The spinal vertebrae are being held in the correct anatomical position by your back musculature, and this correct position is reinforced by static pressure transmitted to the belly side of the spine across the hydrostatic column of the gut, the essentially non-compressible contents of the abdominal cavity. As pressure in the thoracic cavity increases with a big held breath, and this pressure is increased by the tightening of the abs and obliques, more anterior support develops for the spine. The back muscles position and support the spine from the back; the abs, with the aid of a big breath, support it from the front. A weightlifting belt adds to this effect, its main function being to add to anterior support rather than to apply pressure from the back."

Thanks for this Sara - I've just joined but this is a really useful write up.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I wear something similar when I'm shearing, if that helps...:drinker:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Jeepers, this is nuts. I thought, wow, my deads are getting up there. I should ask about lifting belts. But then I thought, I should probably search the forums first . . .

Asked, answered. Thank you Sara
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one yet, mostly because when I went to buy one none of them were big enough for me (:sad:), but I haven't really suffered because of it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff here. I'll add my experience here. I've been lifting fir about 6 months and I just got one last week. I realized I needed one because I was not hitting what my 1 rep max should be, or 2 rep max, or 3 rep max! Like I was actually getting weaker. I was increasing reps but not weight if that makes sense?

It takes some getting used to. I only use it when I get near my max on squats and deads right now. It has been a game changer. I used to exhale when lifting on my deads, with the belt I can push out against the belt almost naturally doing the Valsalva maneuver. Now I can translate that to when I lift without the belt.