Sorry, another post.... results?

Options
jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
Just wondering if anyone can give me some timescales - from your own experiences. I don't have any weight to lose now, I am doing this program to get stronger and look ripped, lol. Has this happened for you? How long do you think is fair to expect to LOOK like I have built muscle?

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It is pretty hard for women to build muscle. Per your last post, if your goal is to look ripped and you already have low bodyfat, you need to eat at a surplus.

Most of the women in this group are looking to lose, so that's probably why your post has not gotten responses. Post in the stronglifts thread, too.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone can give me some timescales - from your own experiences. I don't have any weight to lose now, I am doing this program to get stronger and look ripped, lol. Has this happened for you? How long do you think is fair to expect to LOOK like I have built muscle?

Everything I've read says it take a year to build muscle. That doesn't mean you won't build strength nor does it mean that you won't see muscle definition. I have a lot of fat to get rid of but I can still see muscle definition that I didn't have before I started the program.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they both said. I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "ripped". From everything I am reading, muscle is extremely hard for women to BUILD. Like Sue said, you may start seeing more definition from fat loss and some recomp in a few months, but actually gaining mass is a long process that includes balancing your calories and macros (protein is HUGE). If you are really interested in GAINING muscles, you'll probably want to do some research on bulk/cut cycles (maybe look at bodyrecomposition.com and bodybuilding.com for more resources). The women are are really "ripped" either a) have been doing it a long time and have gone through several bulk/cut cycles or b) started out overweight and used strength training as their primary exercise thus preserving all their lean mass while losing fat and have reached a low body fat %(this is key to seeing all that definition).
    Anyway, the short answer to your question is you will probably start seeing definition (due to "newbie gains" and water retention) and amazing strength gains within a few months.
    Maybe Beeps will chime in with her expertise as she always has great insight.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I guess being new at this I am still getting my head around things. Changing from weight loss + cardio to a new strength + gaining mentality is a gradual process! I am feeling so full on around 1900 cals, so I can't just suddenly jump to a surplus. I'll get there though! As in my previous post, I am much hungrier on lifting days so I can only imagine as the lifts get harder, the appetite will increase further.

Thanks for the tip on the other thread - I'll check it out.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will get great results. I assume you've read about Stacy (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/)? Her story is very inspirational and can probably give you a good idea of a time frame for gaining some muscles. Good luck and welcome to lifting!!!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me of that website :-)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will get great results. I assume you've read about Stacy (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/)? Her story is very inspirational and can probably give you a good idea of a time frame for gaining some muscles. Good luck and welcome to lifting!!!

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm starting NROL4W tonight and I'm terrified, but seeing stuff like this reminds me that the "fear of the unknown" is so worth it.