Industrial Action

Options
its_sania
its_sania Posts: 93 Member
I need to vent..

I've only been a nurse for 7years but at the moment we're in the middle of negotiating our next pay agreement and of course we're asking for a pay rise and better conditions. Our government is being so obnoxious and not willing to negotiate which has forced us to act out - we've closed 1 in 5 beds in all hospitals in my state (I live in Western Australia) and cancelled non-urgent elective surgery. Now the government are saying how irresponsible and unprofessional we're being but seriously, bed closures and cancellation of surgery happens on a daily basis where I work, all to save a buck and the public has no idea about it!! Especially around Christmas and Easter they close for 1-2weeks!! But as soon as the nurses decide to close the bed we're seen to be acting selfish. It makes me soooo angry!! We're on the brink of going on strike this week (of course crit care areas/paediatrics/ICU and OR areas won't be effected) and the government has sent out an email threatening to take away our registration and are pretty much bullying us into submission.

I am so proud of my colleagues who are all standing up for each other and not letting the government take advantage of us!! It has been a really tough few weeks but it's been amazing to see the amount of support we're getting from strangers on the street who see us in uniform. Our medical colleagues are also on our side, some even writing into newspapers publicly cheering us on.

Have any of you been apart of any industrial action like this? This is my first time and it's so stressful and frustrating! I hope it gets resolved soon. We have a really strong union and the support has been fantastic, but I don't know how long we can keep the morale up so high.