Quads Advice

Options
Hey guys, im new to this group, weigh 178 standing 5'10 at about 12 percent bodyfat just after a bulk. I squat a decent amount of weight, or i assume 315 for reps. But my quads dont really peak at all, is their anything anyone can suggest to influence a little more quad seperation and development.

Opinions and advice are very much appreciated

Thanks!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    leg extensions and leg press.

squats have primarily built my hamstrings and glutes, I haven't seen a huge amount of quad development from them.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

squats have primarily built my hamstrings and glutes, I haven't seen a huge amount of quad development from them.

Squats don't do a whole lot for building my quads either, and that's taking into account that fact that I'm VERY quad dominant.

To add to that list:
    Reverse BB Lunges
    Rear Foot Elevated Single Leg Split Squats (saying Bulgarians is so much shorter but I always think people will think that's something else)
    Front Squats (high rep)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Lunges. I try to do two lunge exercises on leg day, at least one of them a walking version. I still enjoy squatting, but a lot of people spend too much time doing squats in my opinion. I like to do 4-5 sets of squats (including a couple of warm-ups) and then move on to lunges. Then Leg Extension machine.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i have never personally done them but try front squats
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Lunges. I try to do two lunge exercises on leg day, at least one of them a walking version. I still enjoy squatting, but a lot of people spend too much time doing squats in my opinion. I like to do 4-5 sets of squats (including a couple of warm-ups) and then move on to lunges. Then Leg Extension machine.

how on earth do you warmup that fast?

I literally do about 6 sets before even touching my working sets.
    95x5 for 2-3 sets, 135x5,185x5, 225x5, then work sets.

People spend a lot of time doing squats because they're one of the most beneficial movements for strength and size.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

this
  • ChrisLindsay9
    Options
    People spend a lot of time doing squats because they're one of the most beneficial movements for strength and size.
    I don't disagree with you. But the OP was talking about Quads. My input is that if you want to emphasize the quads, try lunges (in particular walking lunges).
  • ChrisLindsay9
    Options

Yeah, lol your warm-up is my squat work sets. Maybe as I progress and when I'm squatting more weight, I'll need to add more sets.
  • mullymullzo
    Options
    thanks for the advice

my current leg split consists of 6 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg press (15-20 rep range), straight leg deads, and leg extensions
    i think ill try out front squats, ive never really given them a chance
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lol your warm-up is my squat work sets. Maybe as I progress and when I'm squatting more weight, I'll need to add more sets.

You will almost definitely find this to be the case. There's more warmup sets to 405 than there are to 185.
    thanks for the advice

my current leg split consists of 6 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg press (15-20 rep range), straight leg deads, and leg extensions
    i think ill try out front squats, ive never really given them a chance
    I find leg pressing in the 20-25+ rep range really works well for me, particularly after heavy squatting.

Don't neglect single leg work! I did and I'm really regretting it now.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I find leg pressing in the 20-25+ rep range really works well for me, particularly after heavy squatting.

I like this approach
    I usually hit my squats/deads heavy, then move on to higher rep assistance and it's worked well for me. You aren't burnt out from working up heavy constantly, and it's fun to change up the rep ranges.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    yeah leg extension machine or leg press.

If you are advanced, you can try a more narrow stance with your toes forward. And squat from that position.
  • mullymullzo
    Options
    yeah i decided to incoporate a slow rep rate (time under tension) for my leg press with my feet lower down to target the vastus medialus and lateralus more, while the time under tension will primarily active slow twitch muscle fibres (for definition) I completely forgot all about slow and fast twitch. But i know that my legs are geared towards explosiveness rather than endurance, so its something i should work on anyhow.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    Options
    Good point. I have been wanting to incorporate single leg and keep forgetting. Writing it down in my workout log now as a reminder.
  • genglish1
    genglish1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

A lot of this has to do with form. Some lifts are hip dominant (dead lift) while some are quad dominant (front squat). Back squats are both hip dominant and quad dominant but it all depends on the form of the lift. If you're doing a more powerlifting style lift, legs spread wide with the chest leaning forward, you're going to make it more hip dominant and target your hamstrings, hip flexors, and glutes more. If you do it more Olympic style with the chest upright and legs not quite so far out, you're going to make it more quad dominant putting more of an emphasis on your quads.

I'd suggest you keep squatting and look at adding front squats and some sort of lunge or Bulgarian split squat.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Wow! Never seen a warm up like that! So how much on working sets?

Personally, I just killed my quads with stationary lunges on the smith machine. Not that any big boys will listen to little old me.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Wow! Never seen a warm up like that! So how much on working sets?

Personally, I just killed my quads with stationary lunges on the smith machine. Not that any big boys will listen to little old me.

Depends on the week.
    For a week of heavy triples I'd basically do the warmup above, then hit 275x3, 315x3, 340x3+. Then I typically do a lighter set of pause squats in the 225-255 range.

It takes a while. But there's a lot of guys who squat 600+ pounds raw and that's when you really start spending some time on the main lift.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Mine:

No weight squats, 135lbs x 8 warm up, 185lbs x 8 warm. 225lbs x 5 work. 275lbs x 3 work. 315lbs x 3 work. 225lbs x 8 work/volume set.

You can't just take huge leaps in weight so after while it takes time. Can't imaging working up to 600lbs!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    another bloody good quad exercise is db reverse deficit lunge. I do these off a 30cm box, knee flexion is much greater than my regular back or front squat so you also get quite a bit of glute activation.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Mine:

No weight squats, 135lbs x 8 warm up, 185lbs x 8 warm. 225lbs x 5 work. 275lbs x 3 work. 315lbs x 3 work. 225lbs x 8 work/volume set.

You can't just take huge leaps in weight so after while it takes time. Can't imaging working up to 600lbs!

Ahhh I forgot to mention that I also do unweighted squats before I even put anything on my back.
    I typically foam roll then do 10 wall squats while holding a PVC pipe.