10K swing challenge

scrumhalf7
scrumhalf7 Posts: 175 Member
Was looking at starting this on 4th March but I did 350 swings yesterday with 20KG bell to test the water so as I have these in the bank I might keep yesterday as my start date. Mixing swings up a little with some singles thrown in which works well for me as it mixes up some of the muscles used slightly. Depending how I go I will also look at increasing KB size, initially to 24KG and maybe beyond????
I will still be doing my regular training alongside this so am really hoping to see some good results. Read somewhere about different ways of counting and particularly like this one - 20 swings, 20 deep breaths, 19 swings, 19 deep breaths all the way down to 1. This gives you 210 swings in one session, the rest of my 350 were done in blocks of 30-40 whenever I had a little bit of time. As cardio improves will look at doing more in each session.I think the toughest thing with this will be the fact that it is 30 days long.

Will try and post a log or something as to where I am

Replies

• scrumhalf7
    Ok, did 350 yesterday and 500 tonight. Really want to try get in front as I can imagine it getting tough during the challenge. Feeling pretty good and managed to get the 500 alongside my regular training. So totalling 850 on 2nd day of the 30 day challenge so pretty pleased with myself.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    If you want some ideas for variation, you might look up Tracy Reifkind. She has tons of high-rep swing workouts posted to her blog, many with videos. Good luck! Keep posting to let us know how you're progressing!
  • scrumhalf7
    Will do, thanks
  • scrumhalf7
    Another 370 in the bank so total of 1220 in 3 days. Was pretty tough today as I was a bit stiff from last nights session but onwards and upwards.
  • scrumhalf7
    Just another quick 30 making a total of 1250!
  • Lupercalia
    You're kicking butt! Keep going!

I mentioned Tracy Reifkind before--I did her 1000 swing workout a couple times, and it is KILLER. Might want to drop down to a lighter bell for that one if you decide to try it out... :D

I did a nice Tracy Reifkind swing/squat routine last week--100 swings and 25 squats per round, each round is about 8 minutes. Ladder up the swings to five sets of five, and do a set of one swing, one squat after each swing ladder...like this:

5 swings/ 1 swing, 1 squat x 5
    5 swings x 2/1 swing, 1 squat x 5
    5 swings x 3/1 swing, 1 squat x 5
    5 swings x 4/1 swing, 1 squat x 5
    5 swings x 5/1 swing, 1 squat x 5

Looks simple, but it is a killer if you keep the rest periods brief between sets. I did three rounds of that one and laddered DOWN my bells, lol. 20kg, 16kg, 12kg.
  • scrumhalf7
    Thanks for the encouragement Lupe. Will have a look at some of the other stuff out there when I complete this. Feel as though everything is pulling in and getting tight only 3 days in so all good.
  • scrumhalf7
    Boom!!! 750 done tonight to give a total of 2000 in 4 days. Really want to try and stay in front on this. Hands are a bit sore and I am becoming a little obsessive but other than that all is good.
  • Lupercalia
    If you take care of your hands you should be ok. Keep going!
  • scrumhalf7
    400 Thursday night
    Total = 2400
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Sounds like you're doing great. I'm in the middle of a deadlift program and don't really want to neglect that to do that many swings, but I have been doing a lot more than usual lately. I've been doing a double swing program as a finisher to my strength training sessions, and I've been really surprised by how much easier heavy two-handed swings are after doing double swings.

Great work. Keep it up! I'd be interested to hear about any changes to your physique that you are noticing as you progress through it.
  • scrumhalf7
    OK still going pretty good, settled down to 465 per day. Now on 3795 in total. Thought about a day off at weekend but I am happy at the moment to be in front. Will keep you posted if i notice anything changing physique wise JQ.
    One thing I have noticed is a sloppy technique will be found out doing this many swings. My technique is much sharper than when I started which definitely makes it easier to get through them. Also if you get the thrust correct it will help look after your hands, if your hip thrust is snappy the KB is very light on the upward swing allowing a relaxed grip.
  • scrumhalf7
    4800 in 10 days. Will break the 5k barrier tonight.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Geez, I can't even imagine doing nearly 500 swings a day for 10 days.

I think I am going to start incorporating more swings-only workouts on my cardio days, though. I usually do swings as part of a circuit, or I'll do double swings as a finisher to a strength training workout, and it's obvious how great they are for your body. I think doing a solid 20 minutes of swings would be a really productive cardio workout.
  • scrumhalf7
    Hi JQ, believe me it gets pretty obsessive, I was going to incorporate rest days in but cant stop myself picking the KB up and having a swing to keep the numbers ticking over.

Just over 5300 on the clock now
    Calluses are getting pretty thick so hope these dont start splitting, also getting calluses on first joint of finger that I didnt have before.
    Will definitely be keeping some daily swings in my programme when I finish as I can really feel myself tightening up in shoulders,chest, lats and lower back. Seeing some cardio gains as well. Will cut down on rest periods when doing them after the challenge to keep my HR higher.
    The routine I have settled on now is as follows.
    30 swings,30 breaths-29 siwngs,29 breaths etc all the way to 10 then 10 sets of 10swings,10 breaths which gives you 510. I was doing this all the way down to 1 but thought it was a bit of a waste once I was below 10 so this has increased my daily swings from 436 to 510.
    Another positive thing to come out of this is that my new found power in my hip thrust has helped me to start kipping when doing pull ups, I could not get my head round these at all before!
  • Lupercalia
    You're kicking *kitten*, Scrum! Keep going.

Regarding kipping--I think the kip movement is most similar to KB snatches, if you do those. If you don't snatch, you should definitely make it a point to learn when you get done with your swing challenge.
  • scrumhalf7
    Cheers Luper, just finished todays so on 5870.
    Already do snatches , did RKC snatch test about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Not done enough recently to see if it has improved that but could snatch fairly heavy anyway.
    With the kipping I watched a progression video (cant remember who by but the guys wife was demonstrating) and one of the movements was the hip thrust back and forth which naturally lifts you up and back. It might be just coincidence that I have watched the vid while doing the swing challenge and maybe I always had it in me. :happy:
  • scrumhalf7
    On schedule to finish next Friday.
  • scrumhalf7
    8000 done
    Hands seem to have settled down. Thought about having a day off over weekend but just couldnt stop myself. Sunday was a real struggle but managed to get through it, not really sure if it was down to overtraining or boredom at this stage.
  • scrumhalf7
  • Lupercalia
    Woohoo! You're almost there! xx
  • scrumhalf7
    Cheers luper
    Held up pretty well but admit I will be glad to see the end!
  • scrumhalf7
    9100!!!
  • Lupercalia
    Oh man, you're SO CLOSE! Exciting. xx
  • scrumhalf7
    9650!
  • scrumhalf7
    Finished, yay!
    Completed in 20 days, not sure what to do next but am going to leave in some daily swings.
  • Lupercalia
    Congratulations! I do swings daily, too. xx
  • kdew2
    kdew2 Posts: 27 Member
    Finished, yay!
    Completed in 20 days, not sure what to do next but am going to leave in some daily swings.

Wow, that is really impressive. Am thinking I will give this a try beginning on April 1st. I am loving KB's even more now that I have done research and found good reliable sources and videos. It's amazing how many bad resources/bad form demonstrations there are out there.

Found this board on MFP the other day and would love to thank everyone who has shared good reliable information. :)