Stage 1 AND Cardio advice needed

Options
Hi:

Has anyone done cardio and started NROLFW at the same time?

I just finished Stage 1 WO B2 this morning and this is the direction I would like to take with my health but (here it comes) I would like to train for a 90 mile bike race/ride this August at the same time. (I am also registered for a couple 5Ks and my first tri sprint.) I do have a lot of body fat to lose - need to drop from high 30%s to 21-24%.

I don't really want to give up the cardio. I also don't want to give up NROLFW - even though I thought I was "strong" before, NROL made me realize I'm still just a big wimp that needs weight training.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Follow the experts (authors) advice. Read chapter 12 again. I assume you read it once already but forgot or ignored their advice.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm starting half training this week and adapting it for only my off days. I do not have much weight/body fat to lose so I am not doing NROL for that purpose alone. I think it really depends on your ultimate goal. If you want to lose a good amount of weight/body fat, doing intense cardio training along with this program could end up being counterproductive.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I've done HIIT cardio the whole program, I'm starting stage 6 now. I've been having fantastic, awesome results. Couldn't be happier.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what will work for you. I crosstrain with lifting: spin, running, soccer and yoga. It is very important to me to be "in shape" in many different ways. It is important for you to determine what is OK for YOUR body, your current fitness level and how quickly you can ramp up from your current workouts.

The other thing is I like food too much. I need to burn the calories so that I can eat them back...
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Btw, in the beginning, I didn't do cardio on my lifting days ever. I do sometimes now, when the program calls for it and sometimes when it doesn't if I still have the energy for it. Always cardio on my days off from lifting pretty much though.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I do a little HIIT on lift days, but I keep it short because I leave pretty much everything on the wieght floor.

Off days, I jog or do intervals (not HIIT).

Just make sure you eat enough to support both cardio and lifting.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm already signed up for a race at the Illinois Marathon in April. We are doing a 5k Friday night and 10k Saturday morning. (Last year did the half and am so glad I'm not signed up for that!) We are not fast so more of a steady jog and most runs should be less than an hour. Hoping that this doesn't hurt my progress.

According to calculations from the book I eat around 1600 on off days and 1800 on workout days. I guess I will be eating 1800 6x/week on weight and running days and 1600 on my one off day.

All I know is I did my first workout yesterday and have to run 3m today and am SORE already! Hoping it will loosen me up!

Good luck to you!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Follow the experts (authors) advice. Read chapter 12 again. I assume you read it once already but forgot or ignored their advice.
    DItto. I was going to add cardio into St 1 but didn't after reading chapter 12.

Don't worry, Cardio comes into play in St 2.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Danipals - where is the Illinois marathon? Are you just starting nrolfw or running training?

All - the research has shown that hiit right after lifting is great for fat burning, but I am just going to have a hard time fitting it into stage 2!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread and wanted to jump in - I know all the theory (yes - I've read Chapter 12!) - but am finding it hard to get my head around dropping the cardio! I have a real fat head on at the moment and in my head (and again - yes I know this might be totally off track but try telling my head that!) only cardio will shift it! I'm doing a little cardio to warm up and at the end but time restrictions are meaning I'm getting less cardio in at the moment. Still - early days and maybe I'll feel more positive tomorrow!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Could someone please explain LB2LLs "counterproductive" maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, I read chapter 12 last summer when I read the rest of the book. I'm doing something similar to new rules now w/ cardio in between days, thanks!
  • heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on non-lift days, just nothing to strenous on my muscles. I do the ellipitical or run/walk on the treadmill. I do not use incline or resistance so that my legs can heal in between lifting.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Could someone please explain LB2LLs "counterproductive" maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, I read chapter 12 last summer when I read the rest of the book. I'm doing something similar to new rules now w/ cardio in between days, thanks!

Basically, the goal of the book is maintain muscle mass while reducing fat through dieting. If you do too much cardio/have too large of a calorie deficit, the theory is that you will lose muscle too. I try to counteract that by eating back my exercise calories.