Can I do this without a gym?

Options
Hi all!

Considering this, but a gym membership isn't in the cards right now. I tried to search for this question but didn't see anything definitive either way. Thank you!!

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    There are a number of women in this group that do this at home. There are lots of modifications you can do. What equipment do you have? Have you lifted before? The biggest issue people have at home is heavy enough weights for the squats and dead lifts.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My main recommendation to anyone starting at home is go ahead and invest in olympic weights. Don't bother with standard. You'll end up wishing you had olympic anyway. Craigslist is a good place to start.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have adjustable dumbbells that go up to 20 lbs each. The only weight training I've done is Jillian Michaels' 30DS and RI30, which I'm in the middle of and doing with 5-lb weights.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have adjustable dumbbells that go up to 20 lbs each. The only weight training I've done is Jillian Michaels' 30DS and RI30, which I'm in the middle of and doing with 5-lb weights.
    You won't be able to do the program with the equipment you have. Sorry.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to do this without a gym. Just waiting for the right equipment to show up on craigslist.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options

No, I figured I'd have to get some additional equipment. My question was more if it can be done at home without purchasing large expensive machines.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have an olympic bench, an olympic bar, olympic dumbbells, and some weights. I have a couple hundred invested right now, and I'm on the lookout for a squat rack or a power cage if the price is right which will be another couple hundred probably, but then I'm set for good long while.

I also bought a stablity ball and I'm contemplating a step, but both of those are reasonably priced.

I'm ok with investing a little because then I don't have to pay a gym membership and it actually ends up saving me money in the long run. Plus it's hard to get out of working out when I don't feel like it when my equipment is in the next room ;-)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

No, I figured I'd have to get some additional equipment. My question was more if it can be done at home without purchasing large expensive machines.
    You won't have to purchase expensive "machines" but you will need to invest a considerable amount to get the proper equipment. Must haves include an adjustable bench, Olympic barbell, and several sets of dumbbells and barbell plates. You'll also need a squat rack or some other way to hold the bar at shoulder level.