BodyMedia Fit

Options
emilydmac
emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
Do you guys think it gives an accurate (estimate, since thats all we can really ever have) of calorie burn data?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Based on the research I've seen, it's fairly accurate for some, not so much for others.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Based on the research I've seen, it's fairly accurate for some, not so much for others.

^^agreed.

It was actually pretty accurate for me when I wore one for a few months last year but I know of others where it was quite a bit off.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Feels accurate to me(I'll know for sure in a month or so). I really have to bust my *kitten* to get into the highly active bracket! :)
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks All!! I am a tech junkie so I'm gunna order one! :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

^^agreed.

It was actually pretty accurate for me when I wore one for a few months last year but I know of others where it was quite a bit off.

it seemed to underestimate for me for reasons I do not know but suspect has to do with the fact that I sweat very very VERY little so it rarely saw me being 'active' unless I was running or something REALLY active with a lot of hard hitting foot falls and swinging my arms. IIRC Leigh Peele and Lyle McDonald both said (back when the earlier versions were out) that their experience was that it was within about 15% either direction for most people but could go as high as 25%.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I've found that mine usually puts my TDEE a little below what online calculators suggest. Now, whether or not that's accurate is a little hard for me to tell because I'm a pretty bad logger. And even if I log, I have a problems over eating anyway. That said, given that I'm not losing weight either, I'm inclined to think it's actually fairly accurate.

I will say that I go through periods were I find it pretty motivational. I like seeing that I really did do something while I was at the gym. Getting sweaty, winded, and being sore the next day is sort of easily forgotten for me. But if I can put that activity on a weekly report, I can feel good about myself and what I did. There's value to that.