Am I doing too much?

Options
jessicah12
jessicah12 Posts: 10 Member
I am working out about 6 days a week, sometimes light, sometimes hardcore. I do about 4 - 6 hours of cardio (Zumba and Bokwa) per week and started the Les Mills last week so it looks like only about 2 hours of lifting (I think I should be doing more of this) Moderate weight enough to challenge me but not hurt me. I have pumped up my cal intake to 1800 daily.

I calculated BMR 1550 TDEE 2200/ Currently 172lbs 5'5" 33y. But that was based on moderate workout 3 - 5 hours because I didn't think that the next level up would really work for me since it's not extreme. I just feel a bit lost I backed off on the cardio I was doing about 8 hours of cardio weekly.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I am trying to keep my calories up, but struggling some days and others not :wink: I just need help! Thank you!!!

Jess

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Honestly. YES.

I"m pretty passionate that too much exercise, espeically "hardcore" cardio can be counterproductive. We are trying soooo hard, but yet, we are fighting against ourselves.

My opinion, 3-4 workouts a week is optimal. Moderate, "active recovery" on other days such as walking, biking, yoga. QUALITY vs. QUANTITY.

And .. I'm a huge believer in strength training. HUGE.

My average TDEE is 2250. I'm back to deficit eating for about 12-16 weeks. I'm eating 1800. I strength train 3 x week. Walk , as in walk around my neighborhood or park, on nice sunny days. On average, thats 2 days a week. 2 rest days. I'm focusing on increasing my NEAT - activity throughout that day that isn't a workout. Example: parking further away and walking; stairs instead of elevator; standing and walking while on phone instead of sitting. NEAT is our secret weapon : )

If I was more active - actively working out 6 days a week - so much cardio - I'd DEF have to eat more. And you too : ) Of course, I don't. Because: I DON'T NEED TO. and .. I don't want to. So .. it works out well.

Let me find an article or 2 for you to read. I've gotta dig in my "archives".

Jen
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your TDEE is really in the 5-6 hrs of exercise or even 6+ if you are working out 6 days a week. When I did 6 days a week it was 3 lifting, 2 running and 1 volleyball and it bacame too much. I couldn't eat enough, was constantly tired, and couldn't really perform at any of my workouts. I've found that 2-4 days is really ideal for me (2 to maintain, 4 if I'm working toward a serious goal). I thank harlanJEN also made some great points about NEAT.
  • jessicah12
    jessicah12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job from home about 9 hours per day and school work @ home about 1 hour per day, so I don't get much movement except when I do the Les Mills and the Zumba Core at home. This is why I thought I should do more cardio since it is such a sedentary job! Will need to revise and focus on more weights less cardio. I am barely keeping up with the 1800 cals per day now searching for more ways to bump up the protein and meet the goals. Thank you for your suggestions.