How many miles do you run in a week?

Options
124»

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Over the past year I averaged 46 miles a week, but when I'm training for a marathon I max out at about 70. Past 4 weeks have basically been 50-70-50-70.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Non training mileage is 35 miles a week. Peak mileage for the marathon is 50-55. I personally believe in the 10% increase for myself. I slowly add mileage to my weekly long run & mid week tempo run.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    In the warmer months, I run about 20 miles each week and ride 40-50. After September, the cycling will be dropped due to weather and time but running will increase dramatically, up to 35-40. (I'll run in a light rain where I won't ride if the pavement is even damp after one too many wipe-outs.) I hope to run my first full marathon in December.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am on the low end - I average 16 miles/week. Roughly 7 miles during the week and a long run on the weekend that is anywhere from 7-12 miles (and even shorter when I have no races coming up).

I run on Monday & Wednesday mornings, about 3-4 miles each. On Tuesday & Thursday mornings I go take a spinning class. I do my long run on the weekends, usually Saturday morning but occasionally Sunday morning. If I do my long run on Sunday morning, I will try to run the Friday before and will take off the Monday after.

I am a half marathon runner - I do 6 or more per year. I am also pretty slow. My PR is 2:36:04, just a tiny bit faster than a 12 MPM pace. I just had my last spring race a couple weeks ago and don't have another half until August 31. For the summer my long run mileage is as follows:

Jun 29: 7 Miles
    Jul 6: 5 Miles
    Jul 13: 8 Miles
    Jul 20: 9 Miles
    Jul 27: 10 Miles
    Aug 3: 8 Miles
    Aug 10: 11 Miles
    Aug 17: 12 Miles
    Aug 24: 6 or 7 Miles

For all my half marathons, I have never done a long run further than 12 miles, which is consistent with a lot of beginner & intermediate training schedules I have seen. I see that some people on here will do long runs that are longer than a half.

Eventually I will try to add in an easy run on Friday before my long run and I would push at least on of my weekday runs to 5 or 6 miles, but right now I am satisfied with my workout plan.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am on the low end - I average 16 miles/week. Roughly 7 miles during the week and a long run on the weekend that is anywhere from 7-12 miles (and even shorter when I have no races coming up).

I am a half marathon runner - I do 6 or more per year. I am also pretty slow. My PR is 2:36:04, just a tiny bit faster than a 12 MPM pace.

This is a good example of how mileage should match one's goals. Running multiple races to finish is different than training to BQ, training for a full marathon is different than training to get sub 30 or sub 20 in a 5K. Your mileage running and cross training should custom fit your goals, your current condition, your age, your experience, and your natural ability. There is no one size fits all.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Wow seriously...some of you sound like you're running a full marathon every weekend! I run 20 mi/week, and I'm happy there. Any more than 30 and I wouldn't have enough food in my house to keep up my energy!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow seriously...some of you sound like you're running a full marathon every weekend!
    No, that was last month
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Wow seriously...some of you sound like you're running a full marathon every weekend!
    No, that was last month

This month we do ultras? :-D
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've just broken 20 (tomorrow's run will make this my first 26-mile week since 2010). I'm in a weight-loss and base-building mode right now to prepare for starting to train for faster marathons. I'd like to get up to an average between 30-40 when I'm not training for specific races.