Need some advice

Options
lauren3101
lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
Hi all,

My partner has just been for a hospital check-up after a few health problems and has had some worrying results. Basically, he’s got to lose some weight, but the doctor hasn’t given him much help in telling him where to start other than he has to ‘eat less and exercise 3 times a week’.

Stats are:

Height – 6ft (72 inches)
Weight – 300lb
Goal weight (as suggested by doctor) – 224lb
BF – 40%
Job involves him being on his feet all day but it’s not vigorous activity, so I’ve set him as lightly active?

It’s come back with these stats:

BMR – 2137
TDEE based on lightly active – 3629

To take 20% from that would put him at 2903. My question is, should he start there, or would it be healthy and a good idea for him to aim a little lower as he needs to get some weight off quickly?

Also, has anyone got any suggestions for exercises he can do while he’s at this weight? He is not immobile by any means, but he does have some problems with his knees and he has been a heavy smoker for 15 years (he has very recently quit). I don’t want to kill him on his first exercise attempt. :laugh:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the specific health concerns are and if he is any immediate danger. If so then of course there may be a good reason for losing the first bit of weight quickly, which of course should be done under medical supervision in this instance.

However, if this is not the case then it would still be advisable to lose the weight slowly based on the TDEE calculations you have done. By losing weight slower he is likely to lose more fat and retain more LBM. It is also more likely to be a sustainable loss that he can continue rather than give up after a short while due to hunger or feelings of deprivation.

With regards to adding in exercise, obviously someone new to exercise needs to take it steady initially to avoid injury or over exersion. Maybe start with some walking which can obviously be increased in duration and speed over time, and then think about adding in some stength work.
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with KarenJanine- it really does depend on what his specific health concerns are.

I wouldn't suggest a quick weight loss. I would probably suggest he eat at TDEE to reset his metabolism. Understand that the given TDEE is an estimate, so it's important he finds his true TDEE based on his activity level. After the reset, I would suggest a 15% cut. TDEE-15% is a safe cut value, and it provides a slow, *healthy* weight loss. Of course, he can always adjust his cut value later on, but I don't recommend cutting more than 15%.

As for exercise, he will want to take it slow initially. Many people who are his weight and new to exercise need to build up their stamina. A 10 minute elliptical, walk, etc. is generally a good, safe starting point, with the duration and speed being increased as tolerated.