Tell me this is normal

Options
Okay, I'm pretty sure this is normal and this is the reason not to weigh yourself each day. But I did not lose anything when I weighed myself today. I have to still put in my dinner for last night, which was just a protein shake with almond milk. Anyways, it actually showed a weigh gain of 1.8 lbs. Now I have not had a bowel movement in 3 days and I did drink about 48 ozs. of fluid yesterday. I'm just nervous that I'm going to ruin this tool I have. I'm not having issues with drinking really and I can eat my 1.5 to 2ozs fine.(over the course of an 1/2 hour) I don't push the amount and I measure everything. Just scared, thanks for listening.

Replies

• atakins
    atakins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advice I got from my surgeon's required group therapy was, simply, "Do not watch the scale!" You should weigh yourself once a week. Your weight fluctuates constantly, sometimes by more than 2 lbs in a day. Also, always weigh yourself at the same time of day, in similar cloths (or lack thereof). I weigh myself as soon as I get to the restroom after my alarm goes off. While I weigh every day, I've pounded it into my head that 1 or 2 lb. fluctuations are going to happen.

OK, on to the less-fun topic. I *have* to use a stool softener. I take the little Dulcolax capsules once or twice a day. Other people have suggested fiber; that causes a lot of gas for me, so I've stuck with the Dulcolax. Drinking water is also critically important to this, so keep up the work on that front!
  • cakelady69
    Options
    thank you for your answer. I was stressed even though I know I should not be weighing each day. I'm just so excited to watch the scale drop more and more.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    gosh even early on post surgery I would sometimes go a week or two with no results on the scale then plot a couple pounds just vanished. I'm a daily scale kind of girl but some women can't do that, sounds like if you expect movement every day you're looking at the numbers for the wrong reason. Use the fluctuations to learn how your body responds to your cycle, the sodium you intake and other factors. I've learned a lot about myself from daily weigh ins but I also don't expect it to change daily or even to always go down; tool or not we still have 'fat days'.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Same here, and I don't have a cycle at all. During the week, my weight will go up or down a few pounds, even though my daily calories vary almost not at all, and my daily activity varies only a little. But if I look at my monthly weight loss totals, they are pretty consistent. It has been just over six months since RNY.

If the scale makes you too crazy, just follow your doctor's instructions, and weigh yourself once a week or even once a month. You have too much work to do to drive yourself nuts.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    I think I got just got worried. I just want to do this right. Thanks everyone. Gonna weigh in once a week for now.