MARCH CUTS or BULKS

Options
March will be here this FRIDAY!! Who's ready???

Any new "cutters" welcomed (or bulkers this go around)! I love using this group / forum to track progress & having a lil community to bounce ideas off of.

Here's my stats (moved over from January Cut):
Jan SW: ............128.7 bf%: 30.7 caliper bf%: NA
Jan EW: ............125.6 bf%: 27.6 caliper bf%: 21.4
Jan Results:.....<3.1>........<3.1>.......................NA

Feb SW: ............125.6..........27.6..............21.40
Feb EW: ............123.0..........26.7..............18.83
Feb Results:... <2.6>.........<0.9>............<2.57>

Mar SW: .................123.0..........26.7..............18.83
wk 8 (3.06.13).......000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1550; w/out eating back strength training cals)
wk 9 (3.13.13).......000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1500; w/out eating back strength training cals)
wk 10 (3.20.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1500; w/out eating back strength training cals)
wk 11 (3.27.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1500; w/out eating back strength training cals)

wk 12 (4.03.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1500; w/out eating back strength training cals)

Replies

• vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete noob here and this is my first time trying to cut bodyfat % I have no idea where i'm currently at (would guess anywhere between 25-30%) but i'm getting measurements done on Monday - i'll post them here then. I'm in a 12-week fat loss challenge with a bunch of my workmates so once I know what i'm starting with I can set my goal from there. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a reasonable amount of bf % to drop over 12 weeks?
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Feb was near a complete fail for me due to some unexpected life events, both good and bad, that threw me off track so I am ready to hit march hard! I will get a starting number in tomorrow. I'm also starting a new training program in March which I'm hoping will help me stay focused!
  • ellie78
    Options
    So my results for Feb, well, best I can say is I went down.

Feb Start-157.6, 24.1% BF
    Mar Start-156.6, 23.5% BF

Planning to start a routine that is 4 days per week of lifting and throw in the cardio where I can. I need to start training for a 10K I'm doing in May so probably mostly running. For diet I'm planning to just try and stick with eating clean and at a deficit.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So my results for Feb, well, best I can say is I went down.

Feb Start-157.6, 24.1% BF
    Mar Start-156.6, 23.5% BF

Planning to start a routine that is 4 days per week of lifting and throw in the cardio where I can. I need to start training for a 10K I'm doing in May so probably mostly running. For diet I'm planning to just try and stick with eating clean and at a deficit.

Great plan! and good job last month - slow progress is still progress... :)
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I might need to invest in a caliper and do a lot of reading. Right now I am still cutting. At 28.2% (handeld) and around 183lbs, still want to drop 20lbs or so. Down 30lbs and only dropped about 5lb LBM in the process so can't complain to much with the results so far.

Goal is 160-165 19% BF range for long term.

I do 2 days heavy lifting full body modified 5x5 right now. Just starting to tweaking and seeing my starting weights and my only goal is they go up. :)
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete noob here and this is my first time trying to cut bodyfat % I have no idea where i'm currently at (would guess anywhere between 25-30%) but i'm getting measurements done on Monday - i'll post them here then. I'm in a 12-week fat loss challenge with a bunch of my workmates so once I know what i'm starting with I can set my goal from there. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a reasonable amount of bf % to drop over 12 weeks?
    So bf was a bit higher than I thought: 32.3%, starting weight 70kg (154lbs). I'm aiming to do 2-3 weight sessions and 2 -3 cardio sessions a week.

I think my goal is to probably get within a healthy bf range so between 20-24%, dropping about 10kgs.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Here's my stats (Jan - Feb):
    Jan SW: ............128.7 bf%: 30.7 caliper bf%: 21.40 (1st measurement in Feb)
    Feb EW: ............123.0 bf%: 26.7 caliper bf%: 18.83
    Results:.............<5.7>........<4.0>.......................<2.57>

wk 8 (3.06.13).......122.8..........26.9...............18.17 (avg cals in: 1545)
    wk 9 (3.13.13).......000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1450; w/out eating back strength training cals)
    wk 10 (3.20.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1450; w/out eating back strength training cals)
    wk 11 (3.27.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1450; w/out eating back strength training cals)

wk 12 (4.03.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (calorie goal: 1500; w/out eating back strength training cals)
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    EEK!! where is everyone!!?

I spaced out my weigh ins from wkly to bi wkly for the next / last 4 wks. So [even tho i weighed & measured this am out of habit / and it was pretty good :D ] I won't be tracking anything til NEXT wed, wk 10.

Hope everyone is doing great!!
  • ellie78
    Options
    Yup, been quiet around here!

I'm basically maintaining right now. I started a new job this week and I'm struggling with my nutrition, but I will be able to plan better now that I know how my day will be going for that last two week though!

I also had to find a new workout routine. I was following the female training guide on simplyshredded.com and out of nowhere the site is now gone! Its been down for days and I was right at the beginning so I'm scrapping it and starting something new next week. Its funny what a panic it got me in, though. It definitely showed me that I am not ready to train myself. The thought of coming up with my own routine was terrifying. I really need to work on educating my self more on the training side.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Oh my!, the site is gone :/ - that's where I got my lifting routine. It is a upper / lower 4 day split. Luckily I've been doing it for a while & have it pretty memorized (plus it's jotted down on my phone :) ). That's odd...
  • ellie78
    Options
    And now of course, 5 days later, its back up! I guess someone forgot to pay their server bill.....

Well that's a dilema, now I have to decide which routine I want to do! Either way I'm printing out the simply shredded one, its a good basic routine to keep around.
  • karrielynn80
    Options

wk 8 (3.06.13).......122.8..........26.9...............17.17 (avg cals in: 1545)
    wk 10 (3.20.13).....122.2..........26.0...............16.15 (avg cals in: 1423)
    wk 12 (4.03.13).....000.0..........00.0...............00.00 (avg cals in: XXXX)
    Results:................<TBA>........<TBA>............<TBA>
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options

wk 8 (3.06.13).......122.8..........26.9...............17.17 (avg cals in: 1545)

Hey I see you list mulple BF% what methods do you use?

I have an app with like 8 different caliper methods and a few others and recently I just gave up and use the 3 caliper methods with the most points, and 1 tape messure one that has a tone of spots and is a similar % and then average them out.
  • karrielynn80
    Options

Hey I see you list mulple BF% what methods do you use?

I have an app with like 8 different caliper methods and a few others and recently I just gave up and use the 3 caliper methods with the most points, and 1 tape messure one that has a tone of spots and is a similar % and then average them out.
    I use a digital scale that measures hydration, bf% and weight (thinking of ditching this method in April) + caliper site measurements. I do tricep, ab (sup-er-illiac or however you spell it) and thigh sites & input the data (+ current weight & age) into an online calculator (free-online-calculator...)... I never thought of searching for an app that I could just input the mm's into. I also use tape measuring to measure my thighs, arms, pooch / hips, waist, and booty (i track all that in my blog - i'm a bit OCD :) lol - but it's just b/c i'm relatively new to all this & i like to see all the factors...
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options
    I track more then that so don't feel bad.

I am more just a bit baffled at my lower BF% and high weight still personally. Handheld and capilers all day between 26-28% for me which is nuts from what I see from others in the 180's.

I use body fat log app and you only have to messure once and it imputs it into whichever methods you want it to use.
  • karrielynn80
    Options

I am more just a bit baffled at my lower BF% and high weight still personally. Handheld and capilers all day between 26-28% for me which is nuts from what I see from others in the 180's.

I use body fat log app and you only have to messure once and it imputs it into whichever methods you want it to use.

Ya i'm not sure on about the weight to fat % either - if it was just handheld i'd blame that, since they aren't extremely accurate. but calipers generally are. . . are you measuring at the same time every time? I know am, evening, pm all will show different & generally higher for me... but at least ur in the 20s! that's great! & you look amazing... i'd say as long as everything keeps moving downward, just keep trucking :) - ur obviuosly doing something right.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I am cutting this month. I will cut next month. I think May will have to be a "maintenance" month, therefore.

Will report results at March month-end.
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options

Ya i'm not sure on about the weight to fat % either - if it was just handheld i'd blame that, since they aren't extremely accurate. but calipers generally are. . . are you measuring at the same time every time? I know am, evening, pm all will show different & generally higher for me... but at least ur in the 20s! that's great! & you look amazing... i'd say as long as everything keeps moving downward, just keep trucking :) - ur obviuosly doing something right.

Thanks, and yes I do mine at the same time every month for my messurements. (I have a long gap in my schedual in the afternoon) I did it 3 times the first week and got within around 2-4mm difference but I figure for a first time that is not that bad of variance. In the end for BF% it didnt change it that much within .25% change.

I guess my biggest worry is when to stop if that make sense. BMI is telling me 155 is top "healthy" and BF% wise with some equasions put that at around 15% body fat which as a women seems way to low.
  • ellie78
    Options
    Checking in with 1 week to go!

Weight at 154.6 and BF 22.5

I finally found a place near me with a bod pod and I'm planning to get in there next month to get the true bf% reading. I've been using a handheld which I know is inaccurate but I figure as long as I'm always measuring the same way at least I see progress. Will be interesting to see how the numbers compare.

And to the above comment I don't think 15% is too low, from what I see around forums most very athletic women seem to be around 15% bf or slightly lower if they are competing. Now that's certainly lower than average but at this point in our society average is over weight, something like 5'3 and a size 14 if I remember correctly. Perhaps you should see if you can have one of the more accurate measurements done if you're concerned about it and maybe even discuss it with a doctor. May help put your mind at ease.
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options
    Checking in with 1 week to go!

Weight at 154.6 and BF 22.5

I finally found a place near me with a bod pod and I'm planning to get in there next month to get the true bf% reading. I've been using a handheld which I know is inaccurate but I figure as long as I'm always measuring the same way at least I see progress. Will be interesting to see how the numbers compare.

And to the above comment I don't think 15% is too low, from what I see around forums most very athletic women seem to be around 15% bf or slightly lower if they are competing. Now that's certainly lower than average but at this point in our society average is over weight, something like 5'3 and a size 14 if I remember correctly. Perhaps you should see if you can have one of the more accurate measurements done if you're concerned about it and maybe even discuss it with a doctor. May help put your mind at ease.

I might look for a bod pod. I am not looking to compete, I'm more looking to be healthy but happy with my looks as well., I remember at 155lbs I was not eating healthy to maintain it. 165 was an easy to reach goal and would put me around 20% bf. Right now my messurements are 37-29-45 26.7% bf and a 183lbs, (sz14/15) last time I was 155 I was 36-27-42 (18 years old) and size 11/12 so am getting towards that again olbviously but need to figure a healthy maintainable weight as I don't want to live in the gym to mantain 2 days gym, 2 days outside fun things is my goal. Due t large hip bone structure I'm always going to be a bit off.