Beginner workout routine.

Options
willow_rb
willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
Stupid questions alert; total newbie to strength/weight training.

I have never done strength training or weight lifting but I would like to start. I read all the stickies in the group, googled the difference between strength training&weightlifting and am still more than a little lost.

I have no clue as to form, so from a search in the message boards, found this:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
It shows proper form, so I thought I would start with that. Is that routine a good place to start?

Also, is it a good idea or not to do stuff like shoulder press, shoulder lat pulldown, seated row? In my apartment gym, they have very clear picturorial instructions as to form, so currently I do those.

Sorry if the questions sound stupid but I would really like to learn and start a good routine!

My :flowerforyou: for taking the time to read and respond.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is strength training, but strength training does not have to be weight lifting.

What are your goals?
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My goals are: -

1. To become strong.
    2. To reduce body fat and gain muscle. I calculated my body fat % using callipers and it is 32.6%

My height is 5 ft 9 inches and I currently weigh 172 lbs. I am trying to lose weight but I want to become strong and fit, not just lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You will not be able to gain any appreciable muscle on a deficit - you can however get stronger.

Reducing body fat is all about diet with strength training thrown in to preserve LBM and therefore ensuring weight loss = fat loss.

For a strength routine, I would recommend Stronglifts 5x5 - the link you gave is not a strength routine.

Check out this group - the stickies are extremely informative:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women