Cardio vs Weight Lifting

Options
I am going to the gym and doing about 40 min on the bike and 20 elliptical. I then go and do the weights at least 3 times a week. I want to lose weight. Should I do cardio 2 days a week and 3 days a week weights and not cardio on the weight days?

Replies

• Linda345
    Options
    How frequently you should do cardio and weight sessions depends on your fitness goals. My personal preference is to separate cardio from weight training when possible, by at least 3 hours. However practically speaking for my schedule, many times I cannot do that. In those cases I do my weight training, then my cardio because, for my goals, the weight training is more important for me to give it my 100%. I believe that actally accomplishing both is more important than the timing of each.
  • impylaurie2
    impylaurie2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you I have been doing the cardio first and then I would do my weights. Today I think I will warm up on the bike for 10 min and go straight to weights.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't do any sort of steady state cardio anymore. I do train with kettlebells in between my lifting days, so I get cardio in bursts there...but I don't do any sort of machines, nor do I run. I walk everywhere and ride my bike when the weather permits.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was watching an interview with Jen Sinkler - www.jensinkler.com/
    and it was funny they asked about her fitness routine and what she does... she said "I lift weights".
    then the interviewer asked what she does for Cardio, and she replies: "I lift weights faster!!"

haha

I loved it!
  • alicewa88
    alicewa88 Posts: 17
    Options
    Interval training and occasionally hill runs, plus really heavy weights!