Here is a typical week in my activity:
Sunday- half hour of HIIT
Monday-25 min. weights- half hour of HIIT
tuesday off
wednesday-20 min. HIIT, hour of pump class
thursday- hour of yoga, hour of dance
friday- half hour of HIIT
saturday-25 min weights- half hour of HIIT

I walk to work with my dog- almost a mile each way and i work a desk job. I walk quite a bit on the weekends, nothing too crazy in terms of pace/intensity. I ask because i'm about to go to TDEE for a week (break from cut) and i'm so nervous.

there would be some variation- but should i choose 3-5 or 6-7 on scooby? I feel like it is pretty cuspy, and of course there is some variation week to week.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here is a typical week in my activity:
    Sunday- half hour of HIIT
    Monday-25 min. weights- half hour of HIIT
    tuesday off
    wednesday-20 min. HIIT, hour of pump class
    thursday- hour of yoga, hour of dance
    friday- half hour of HIIT
    saturday-25 min weights- half hour of HIIT

I walk to work with my dog- almost a mile each way and i work a desk job. I walk quite a bit on the weekends, nothing too crazy in terms of pace/intensity. I ask because i'm about to go to TDEE for a week (break from cut) and i'm so nervous.

there would be some variation- but should i choose 3-5 or 6-7 on scooby? I feel like it is pretty cuspy, and of course there is some variation week to week.

It appears you have heard that HIIT is a good for fat loss. Included in that description should have been compared to doing straight cardio only.

It is the fad response to those that do not want to lift, and only want to do cardio. It should be no more than 20% of your cardio.

And if it's not true HIIT, then it is not actually the fat burning response that is like the lifting response. Just plain intervals is for cardio improvements for like endurance and racing, not strength building.

Also, if you are using the same muscles doing the HIIT as you just did the lifting, then either you did not do the lifting correctly to get a good workout there, or you are not actually able to do the HIIT correctly if you did the lifting right.

And while you may indeed be pushing yourself as hard as you can, it's not the same.
    Pushing with tired muscles and just being worn out is just stress, not a need for body improvement.
    Pushing as hard as you can with fresh muscles and causing an overload that requires the body to repair stronger is a body improvement - that is what actually burns the fat far after the workout.

Since you are doing weights already, skip the HIIT, spend more time on the weights, and do them right.

You aren't doing HIIT anyway, and not getting the benefit of it. You are also just wearing yourself out for lifting the next day.

See if this description is for HIIT or weight lifting.

All out anaerobic effort pushing as hard as possible for about 8-10 reps, in order to increase strength and muscle. During repair process more fat is burned.

Description is both.

Use this to calculate your varied activities, and hopefully modified so you can actually have some good smart workouts to get maximum benefit from them. After all, you want part of your time and energy to be wasted?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ok so if you replace my HIIT with a cardio descriptor, which is what i understand you are saying- then what should i calculate at?
  • missjeevious
    Options
    oh i see you've given me a spreadsheet. i'm scared of that spreadsheet- it seems complicated, but i'll give it a try. not sure why i've been reluctant to do so. thanks.
  • missjeevious
    Options
    cannot figure the spreadsheet out. can anyone answer the question without all the extra opinion- two hours of cardio, one hour of pump class, 2-3 weight lifting sessions a week, a yoga and a dance class. Desk job, 20 minutes of working to and from work each day (40 total, walking the dog, nothing too brisk)- on Scooby would you use 3-5 hours of moderate or 6-7 hours of strenuous?
    Or do i just go with an average of the two and react appropriately to the results?
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Personally, I'd go with the moderate. For me, I've calculated the difference in calories it gives me for lightly active and moderately active and divided the additional calories by the actual number of hours of exercise. The amount it gives me per hour is no where near what I estimate that I actually burn (and most of my workouts are pretty intense). I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was like over 600 calories per hour! So, to err on the side of caution, even though I do a body blast class 2x weekly, heavy lifting for an hour 2x weekly, run on the treadmill for 3-4 miles once a week and often walk during my lunch break at work for 35-40 minutes at a brisk pace; I used lightly active because dividing the extra calories by the number of workout hours seemed more realistic using that setting.

I hope that makes sense, lol.
  • heybales
    Options
    ok so if you replace my HIIT with a cardio descriptor, which is what i understand you are saying- then what should i calculate at?

Depends on how intense you make the cardio. Walking, jogging or elliptical?

The comments about the HIIT were not for the purpose of calorie counting - but having smart workouts to really get max benefit from them.
    Additionally to cut down on the stress to the body that fights fat loss.
  • heybales
    Options
    cannot figure the spreadsheet out. can anyone answer the question without all the extra opinion- two hours of cardio, one hour of pump class, 2-3 weight lifting sessions a week, a yoga and a dance class. Desk job, 20 minutes of working to and from work each day (40 total, walking the dog, nothing too brisk)- on Scooby would you use 3-5 hours of moderate or 6-7 hours of strenuous?
    Or do i just go with an average of the two and react appropriately to the results?

Walking/yoga can be counted half-time since it's so easy. Other stuff is straight hrs.

How long is lifting done? 30 min or 60 min? Makes a difference.

Dance class 60 min or 2 hrs?

Avg the 2 probably. But you got to be able to figure it out in case it changes.
  • heybales
    Options
    oh i see you've given me a spreadsheet. i'm scared of that spreadsheet- it seems complicated, but i'll give it a try. not sure why i've been reluctant to do so. thanks.

Not sure why reluctant either.
    5 personal stats you know well. (gender, age, weight, height, goal weight)
    8 measurements you should be getting anyway.
    And 4 different exercise levels with time to enter, which you may not even use all of them.
  • missjeevious
    Options
    Personally, I'd go with the moderate. For me, I've calculated the difference in calories it gives me for lightly active and moderately active and divided the additional calories by the actual number of hours of exercise. The amount it gives me per hour is no where near what I estimate that I actually burn (and most of my workouts are pretty intense). I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was like over 600 calories per hour! So, to err on the side of caution, even though I do a body blast class 2x weekly, heavy lifting for an hour 2x weekly, run on the treadmill for 3-4 miles once a week and often walk during my lunch break at work for 35-40 minutes at a brisk pace; I used lightly active because dividing the extra calories by the number of workout hours seemed more realistic using that setting.

I hope that makes sense, lol.
    perfect sense, thank you!
  • missjeevious
    Options

Walking/yoga can be counted half-time since it's so easy. Other stuff is straight hrs.

How long is lifting done? 30 min or 60 min? Makes a difference.

Dance class 60 min or 2 hrs?

Avg the 2 probably. But you got to be able to figure it out in case it changes.

gotcha! thanks!