Pregnancy after thyroidectomy and mixed labs each time??

I have no thyroid, had it removed for graves in 2008 at age 32. Was hypo for the first two years on generic synthroid, but too depressed and tired to educate myself about meds/dosages and so I just slept mostly for those 2 years.

I was on synthroid/cytomel before and lots of different dosages over the last 5 years but switched to desicrated after reading about so many people having great results with them.

I was hypo on 125mcg Synthroid/5mcg cytomel 2x a day
i was hypo on 137mcg Synthroid/5mcg cytomel 2x a day
Felt the best on 150 mcg Synthroid/10 mcg cytomel but my FT3 was still high
I was hyper on 175 mcg Synthroid/5mcg cytomel once a day

Then I found a new Dr who put me on a higher dose of synthroid and added cytomel and I felt good for awhile.

Then I started gaining weight again and getting frustrated and reading about Armour and Naturethroid and all I would hear is how much better people felt on the desicrated meds so I found a Dr who rx'd them and I have been taking 3 grains of NT split up into 3 doses throughout the day. I feel good, but my labs came back to day saying FT3 was way too high:

FT3 6.4
FT4 1.71
TSH 0.01

HELP!!??

I have gained 50 lbs in the 5 years since my thryroid came out, i finally started losing on the NT, but I guess it is because I am hyper.

Don't know what to do now. I want to get pregnant this year, but I am terrified with all these fluctuations and never feeling 100% "normal"

Amy advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Your FT4 is on the higher side as well so you're likely on slightly too high of a dose. Few questions:

1. Did you take your NT before your morning labs, or after? Taking it before can artifically inflate your FT3 result. So if you took it before your FT3 isn't that high.

2. How are you feeling? Do you FEEL hyper?

If you took your meds before the labs I would go get them retested. If you feel hyper, then I'd drop down to 2.5 grains and see how that goes.

FYI, there's a lot of disagreement on what the top of the range should be for free T3. Some labs and doctors say it should be 7.0.