Disappointing Stage 1 Results

Options
vt2200a
vt2200a Posts: 38 Member
I just finished Stage 1 of NROL4W. My results are not very motivating. I took pictures and measurements and tried not to let the scale get me down but in the end my body doesn't feel different.

Day 1A

Scale: 165

Squat - Olympic bar
Seated Cable Row - 20lbs
Push Up - 45 Degree
Dumbbell Step Us - 10lb (each arm)
Exercise Ball Pull In - 8 Full

Day 1B
Scale: 165

Deadlift - Olympic bar
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown - 45lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10lbs (each arm)
Lunges - 10lbs (each arm)
Exercise ball sit up - 8 Full

Day 8A
Scale 166

Squat - 125lbs
Seated Cable Row - 70lbs
Push Up - Full push-ups
Dumbbell Step Us - 22.5lbs (each arm)
Exercise Ball Pull In - 15 Full

Day 8B
Scale 166

Deadlift - 115lbs
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown - 70lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 25lbs (each arm)
Lunges - 22.5lbs (each arm)
Exercise ball sit up - 15 Full

I think I could have made more progress on my deadlift but I wasn't using gloves and my grip couldn't take it. I am a whole lot stronger but I wish I could have lost a few more inches. I just really wanted to fit into a certain pair of pants.

I am taking a little over a week off in terms because I finished this week and I will not be near a gym next weekend. I start Stage 2 on March 11th and plan on spending this week going to spin classes, yoga and perhaps doing a few of the nike + routines to keep in shape.

I hope to change my diet in the coming weeks as well because I haven't been very good at staying on track.

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Can't out train a bad diet. It's only stage 1, try to be a smidge more patient.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am impressed by the weights you are using. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I'm sure as you go further on in the stages you will see more scale/measurement results.

Good luck with Stage 2.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    wow, you've made impressive gains in a short time. Try to be a bit more patient :)
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've seen small things but nothing ZOMG huge so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Also, I think the weights you've used are pretty good! Don't get discouraged and keep hammering away. Make sure you are eating the best that you can and follow the advice in the book if you aren't. Fueling your body correctly really does make a difference.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! Your gains are great! (our #'s are really close!) Take the week off of lifting, clean up your diet and kill stage 2 and I'm sure you'll be happier with your results!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow, your strength is amazing!!!

Remember that diet is 70-80% of the fat loss battle. It wasn't until I started tracking faithfully and honestly that I noticed a drop in the scale...
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I didn't see great results either .
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your strength gains are awesome! Focus on cleaning up your diet and keep lifting. The change will come.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything disappointing in your results. You made great strength gains!!!
    Like others have said, diet is the key to losing inches. Keep focused on feeding your muscles with good foods and protein and keep a small deficit and you will be surprised at how much your body will change.
  • blacknivory
    blacknivory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lot's of encouragement in the other comments. I'm only in Stage 1 and it looks pretty impressive to me.
    Just two things to add:
    I wear a heart rate monitor - seeing the calories burnt gives me a very precise picture of how hard I'm working.
    I found Rippetoe's advice on gripping the bar useful: http://youtu.be/bTqNSgCmM2s
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Lot's of encouragement in the other comments. I'm only in Stage 1 and it looks pretty impressive to me.
    I wear a heart rate monitor - seeing the calories burnt gives me a very precise picture of how hard I'm working.
    Word of caution...HRMs are NOT accurate for weight lifting. I never log the calories burned shown on my HRM, I go with MFP's default. I feel it's better to be conservative rather than eat more than I actually burned.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Goodness if your results are bad mine are terrible and I should just give up now.

You had massive strength gains. Stop being so hard on yourself. It's a very good result. You value should not be attached to your scale.
  • blacknivory
    blacknivory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Word of caution...HRMs are NOT accurate for weight lifting. I never log the calories burned shown on my HRM, I go with MFP's default. I feel it's better to be conservative rather than eat more than I actually burned.

Thanks for that. I read up a bit on it and will take a more conservative approach with the calories as you say.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Your scale may not have moved but look how much more weight you are lifting compared to when you started! You kicked *kitten* and don't let the scale get you down! Keep at it and attack stage 2!