Empty Bar Is Too Heavy ...

Options
Per your suggestion I'm starting StrongLifts. I've read the book and watched the video(s). I totally understand the reasoning behind getting away from the Smith Machine and other machines. Here's my thing: my gym only has 45 lb straight barbells. The only bars that weigh less are the curved ones. Do I modify the exercises with the curved bars until I can use the 45 lb bar and maintain good form or do I stay on the Smith Machine?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Which exercises are you having trouble with using just the bar?
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    The Overhead Press

I can do it but I can't keep my form in good order.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Just adding this to my topics because I believe I'd have the same problem so I wanna see the reply. I've been working on the machines, making progress, but I really wanna get to free weights
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The empty bar was too heavy for me too when I first started doing OHP's. What worked for me was just keep trying. Perseverence until you can do 5 reps of 5, then add weight. If you can only do 3, do 3. Next time do 4, etc.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is common with overhead press. Use dumbbells until you can handle the bar. Even when you can handle the bar for your work sets, dumbbells will still come in handy for warmup sets. Arguably, dumbbell overhead press and dumbbell bench press are better exercises than their barbell counterparts because they recruit more muscles for stabilization.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'll do this tomorrow! Do I do a total of 45 lbs (20 in each hand) or 45 in each hand?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Feel it out. I'd say grab a pair of 10's and do 5-10 reps. Then increase slowly. Maybe your comfortable working set for now will be 30 lbs (15 in each hand). Whatever it is this week, next week you'll be stronger. When you can do 22.5 in each hand, then you switch to the barbell for those sets or heavier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add - just nodding at taso.

Actually,,,I will add, just for context, I do different rep ranges for barbell and dumbbell presses so I am making a bit of an estimation, but I can probably do about the same for the combined dumbbell weigh (both added) as I can for the barbell OHP...which now makes me think I probably need to check my form on that.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add to Taso's suggestion of using dumbbells. Even though I can use an empty bar now, dumbbells are still helpful to me because my left arm is a fair bit weaker than my right. Using dumbbells helps me push my left arm more, since I'm not doing, say, 60% of the lift with my right arm and 40% with my left, the way I do with a barbell.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I agree, since your gym doesnt' have the straight bars at preset weights under 45, dumbbells would be your next best bet :) Dont' feel bad if your OHP numbers are lower than your other numbers, I've been lifting for almost a year and mine is still only at 65-70 lbs depending on the day! They're tough! Congrats on starting stronglifts!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My gym has a 'women only' room, in which they had pre-made bars from 5kg - 20kg (20kg is the same as the empty Olympic bar).

I used those until I could do the empty bar.

Then I had to move into the general weights area. Also known as 'the boys side' of the gym.

Edited to add, sorry, I realised that this was the least helpful comment ever.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My gym has a 'women only' room, in which they had pre-made bars from 5kg - 20kg (20kg is the same as the empty Olympic bar).

I used those until I could do the empty bar.

Then I had to move into the general weights area. Also known as 'the boys side' of the gym.

Edited to add, sorry, I realised that this was the least helpful comment ever.

It was helpful....some gyms have bars that weigh less than 45lb, if you cannot lift a 45lb one, ask if there are lighter ones.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    tagging for the info...
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You guys are SO helpful! Thanks!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this, too. I was cleaning and rearranging my weight room, and my straight bar felt heavier than I remember! I'd like to start lifting once it warms up down there (unheated room), but might need to start out with dumbbells (or buy a light bar).