Drinking the Low Carb Kool Aid

Options
kiramaniac
kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
My husband and I were talking about Low Carb this morning. We've done low carb a few times in the past 10 years. In general we've had some success, but then went off the low carb diet, and gained weight back (and then some). While we had dieting success, I still believed the conventional wisdom that the Standard American Diet was the healthy way to eat, and that this was an unhealthy fad diet (it worked to get weight off, but wasn't a sustainable, long term way to live). So I always went back to "normal" eating.

What a difference this time around. I've done a lot more research, and now understand that this isn't a fad diet - it's how our bodies best operate. This isn't unhealthy - it will make me the healthiest I have ever been. It makes me angry how we, as a society, have been lied to, manipulated, and deceived into believing the Standard American Diet is healthy. The SAD has made our society obese, and made corporations rich at the expense of the collective health of our people.

Please - do the research. Don't just read the getting started guide on what to eat. You'll probably have some success, but if you don't really take the time to understand the underlying principles, you may revert back to "normal" when you hit goal (and then gain some, if not all of that weight back). Read some of the books. Watch Fathead. Understand why low carb and keto works. Understand that this is HEALTHY; that this is not a fad, and you can live this way long term. If you can get to that point, you won't fall off the wagon, because you won't want to do anything else.

I've eaten the meat and cheese several times doing low carb, but I have finally drunk the low carb kool aid - and that will make all the difference.

Replies

• gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have done the research and know that this works for my body. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it! I think this time my attitude is different as well. This is not a "diet" it is a lifestyle change. I have put way more effort into expanding my food choices, changing up recipes and making this fit for everyday life. When I meet my goal weight I won't change my eating. This is it for me!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Love your post. Absolutely true. The research speaks volumes (of all the research used to support the current status quo, I have found NOTHING that supports the "high carb, low fat (and never from animals!) diet is healthy" bs) but everyone keeps wanting to believe the "experts" who are both indirectly or directly controlled by food processing, chemical, pharma industries.

No, I don't think that eating in a (mostly) biologically appropriate way is a fad. But I do continually get cautioned on how my lifestyle is a "dangerous fad". Which is very intesting considering all of the serious health problems that miraculously disappeared shortly after I changed my diet.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to hear from others who have done the research! I have spent over a year studying and evaluating keto before I decided to experiment on my own body. I have spent my whole life chubby or worse. Even when I was very active and dieting, I would lose a few lbs and that's it. I never ate what I thought was poorly either. I wasn't much into sweets or pastas or breads, but what carbs I did consume wrecked havoc on my system.
    Keto has been fairly easy and has changed my body remarkably. My skin is clearer, I sleep better, I have more energy,and the weight loss, too. :)
    While I understand that each of our personal physiology is slightly different, I firmly believe that the popular opinions on dieting and weight loss are doing more people a disservice than they help. It is unfortunate. I feel that this lifestyle is rather easily maintainable long term and I want everyone to feel as pleased as I do by what is possible when you reach an understanding with your body.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Low carbohydrate eating has changed my life. Even before I lost this much weight I noticed immediate improvements in my health and energy levels. One immediate change I noticed was that my SO and I used to suffer from heartburn and once we changed to a low carbohydrate diet that problem just stopped completely. I sleep better. I have so much energy that I work out at least 60 minutes every day and it don't ever feel like skipping a day (prior to Christmas I was doing around 5 days a week but I decided on the day after Christmas that I might as well do it every day and I haven't missed one yet). I also feel that I can think more clearly and that my mood in general has improved.

I've been reading the research, studies and the experiences of other people that have taken on a low carbohydrate diet for quite a while and it seems like I'm still learning of new health benefits every day. I do feel that some of this important information is lost or overlooked due to the fact that there is such a huge interest in just maintaining this idea that the SAD as the ideal diet for everyone and it's a shame because there are many individuals that may benefit from a low carbohydrate diet.

Maybe we should make a separate forum topic for each aspect our health that we feel a low carbohydrate diet has improved and then compile lists of supporting scientific information for each. For example, an entire topic could be about sharing information regarding how a low fat SAD diet can lead to higher risk of depression for some individuals, how certain fats are essential for brain health, etc.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    whatever u do dont post this in the general boards!