quick question about delayed muscle sorness

Options
jlapey
jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
I was told I should work out every other day in order to give my muscles time to recover between workouts. Well, It's usually the day I'm scheduled back to the gym that I most feel the pain from my previous workout. So, should I skip 2 days instead?

Replies

• duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to this answer- I was doing great yesterday, but today - ouch! Planned to do my routine again tomorrow, but should I hold off?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I was told I should work out every other day in order to give my muscles time to recover between workouts. Well, It's usually the day I'm scheduled back to the gym that I most feel the pain from my previous workout. So, should I skip 2 days instead?

Working out with some soreness is fine if it doesn't impair performance and if the pain isn't so bad that you're just miserable. That being said, if taking an additional day does not effect weekly frequency then you can rest another day if you need to.
  • jlapey
    Options
    Thanks, SideSteel. I'll have to see how my schedule is going to go. I always feel the most soreness from lunges with weights which is what I'm experiencing now in my thighs and glutes. I'm supposed to do squats this afternoon. We'll see. I mainly hurt when getting in and out of a sitting position.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DOMS will typically get much more tolerable as you get further into your program. If you're in the first few weeks of heavy lifting it's going to be much worse now.
  • jlapey
    Options
    DOMS will typically get much more tolerable as you get further into your program. If you're in the first few weeks of heavy lifting it's going to be much worse now.

Makes sense. I'm in about my 4th week. It's steadily getting better, but the lunges get me every time. I think I started too heavy and refused to back off. I stayed with that weight and am only now able to go heavier. The first time was killer, though. OUCH!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    There may be some who shoot me down. Okay. But, I'm just trying to help with what I happen to have been told and know to work for me.

Can't advise on the frequency, other than what Sidesteel said, if you're so sore that it would make it unsafe and you'd have to sacrifice form, then wait an extra day. If you're just mildy sore but can work through (not suffer through, push through, but just annoyed and able to work properly with it)... then go for it... However, there are some supplements that can help and lessen your getting this.

There is a 4-part set up... and NO! This is not some specific company or megasupersonic drink or whatever. In fact, *gasp* I won't mention any brand names. So there! <g>

1. Magnesium. My doctor taught be about this one years ago. Magnesium is a natural immune booster, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer. Dr. Boyle recommended for women in particular (cuz we suffer muscle cramps for "other" reasons on a periodic basis - pardon the pun) but for all folks, that we take 1,000 mg a day, then go up to 2,000 or even 3,000 (depending on body tolerance) during times of high stress (for women, this would be monthly) such as muscle strain or illness. Magnesium is what works in Epsom Salts baths too. The magnesium soaks into the muscles to help relax them. Anyway... there is ONE CAVEAT. Magnesium is a natural laxative. Some forms are less problematic than other (e.g. Magnesium Oxide is supposedly one of the least prone to laxative effect). So, you need to build up your body to taking it. But, when you do take it and "up" it after hard workouts, you'll find you have less soreness and faster recovery.

2. MSM. Methyl Sulfinyl Methane (okay, my spelling may be totally off on that <g>). It is basically sulfur, a basic building block in the body used to build and repair those little microtears you get when building muscles and it is a natural anti-inflammatory. The hazard with taking too much of it may be that you overuse muscles because you don't feel the natural warning signs of discomfort from a workout. I take 1,000 mg 2 x a day. It keeps me from getting really sore, but if I push it too far, I still get that good tight feeling that lets me know where I stand. I may take an extra 1,000 mg on really hard pushed days. I've read about body builders who take 6g to 8g a day. I don't and won't go that high, but you can do your own research and decide. I think someone even wrote a book about using this stuff. All I know is that it was recommended to me when I was going through physical therapy after a bad accident a number of years ago. It has proven effective whenever I'm working out and building. So, I have remembered and held on to it.

3. Potassium. Good for muscle cramps and recovery process. I try to make sure I hit at least 2,000 to 2,500 mg on heavy workout days. I just do this by diet, not by supplement. V-8 juice and coconut water are great sources for large chunk servings.

4. Protein. You probably know this one, but have a decent amount of it available in your diet. It's a big part of what your body is using to build and rebuild the muscle fibers.

Okay.... that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. BTW, a hiker friend of mine who had been in pain every time we did one of our long 8-10 mile hikes got curious enough to try "my recipe" because I never got sore even when we pushed it for a long hike out of the blue. She just started last week and did her first 10 mile hike a few days ago after starting it.... she was so excited to report she didn't get sore at all. <g>

So, anyway, I'm not a doctor. I'm not a TV freakshow host sharing miracle cures like "fat will fall off your body if you drink camel urine". I don't have a long list of research citations for this, but I do know you can google and find info about them if you're motivated. I am just a fellow person in search of fitness, good health, and willing to share what few tidbits I may have to offer. Hope they help.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Can I hop in on this thread and ask a related question? I seem to only experience DOMS in the middle on the night - significantly enough that it'll wake me up.During the day I guess I'm busy enough to ignore it. Any tips for this? (PS, I do stretch before bed and I drink a gazillion gallons of water and I hot tub nearly every morning)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There may be some who shoot me down. Okay. But, I'm just trying to help with what I happen to have been told and know to work for me.

Can't advise on the frequency, other than what Sidesteel said, if you're so sore that it would make it unsafe and you'd have to sacrifice form, then wait an extra day. If you're just mildy sore but can work through (not suffer through, push through, but just annoyed and able to work properly with it)... then go for it... However, there are some supplements that can help and lessen your getting this.

There is a 4-part set up... and NO! This is not some specific company or megasupersonic drink or whatever. In fact, *gasp* I won't mention any brand names. So there! <g>

1. Magnesium. My doctor taught be about this one years ago. Magnesium is a natural immune booster, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer. Dr. Boyle recommended for women in particular (cuz we suffer muscle cramps for "other" reasons on a periodic basis - pardon the pun) but for all folks, that we take 1,000 mg a day, then go up to 2,000 or even 3,000 (depending on body tolerance) during times of high stress (for women, this would be monthly) such as muscle strain or illness. Magnesium is what works in Epsom Salts baths too. The magnesium soaks into the muscles to help relax them. Anyway... there is ONE CAVEAT. Magnesium is a natural laxative. Some forms are less problematic than other (e.g. Magnesium Oxide is supposedly one of the least prone to laxative effect). So, you need to build up your body to taking it. But, when you do take it and "up" it after hard workouts, you'll find you have less soreness and faster recovery.

2. MSM. Methyl Sulfinyl Methane (okay, my spelling may be totally off on that <g>). It is basically sulfur, a basic building block in the body used to build and repair those little microtears you get when building muscles and it is a natural anti-inflammatory. The hazard with taking too much of it may be that you overuse muscles because you don't feel the natural warning signs of discomfort from a workout. I take 1,000 mg 2 x a day. It keeps me from getting really sore, but if I push it too far, I still get that good tight feeling that lets me know where I stand. I may take an extra 1,000 mg on really hard pushed days. I've read about body builders who take 6g to 8g a day. I don't and won't go that high, but you can do your own research and decide. I think someone even wrote a book about using this stuff. All I know is that it was recommended to me when I was going through physical therapy after a bad accident a number of years ago. It has proven effective whenever I'm working out and building. So, I have remembered and held on to it.

3. Potassium. Good for muscle cramps and recovery process. I try to make sure I hit at least 2,000 to 2,500 mg on heavy workout days. I just do this by diet, not by supplement. V-8 juice and coconut water are great sources for large chunk servings.

4. Protein. You probably know this one, but have a decent amount of it available in your diet. It's a big part of what your body is using to build and rebuild the muscle fibers.

Okay.... that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. BTW, a hiker friend of mine who had been in pain every time we did one of our long 8-10 mile hikes got curious enough to try "my recipe" because I never got sore even when we pushed it for a long hike out of the blue. She just started last week and did her first 10 mile hike a few days ago after starting it.... she was so excited to report she didn't get sore at all. <g>

So, anyway, I'm not a doctor. I'm not a TV freakshow host sharing miracle cures like "fat will fall off your body if you drink camel urine". I don't have a long list of research citations for this, but I do know you can google and find info about them if you're motivated. I am just a fellow person in search of fitness, good health, and willing to share what few tidbits I may have to offer. Hope they help.

If DOMS was a result of microtrauma of muscle fibers you'd have a point. But it's not, and you don't.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Can I hop in on this thread and ask a related question? I seem to only experience DOMS in the middle on the night - significantly enough that it'll wake me up.During the day I guess I'm busy enough to ignore it. Any tips for this? (PS, I do stretch before bed and I drink a gazillion gallons of water and I hot tub nearly every morning)

Acute pain sounds more like cramping. Doms is more of a steady, dull ache.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Acute pain sounds more like cramping. Doms is more of a steady, dull ache.

It's not cramping it's a yucky sore feeling but it'll wake me up.
  • Doberdawn
    Options

If DOMS was a result of microtrauma of muscle fibers you'd have a point. But it's not, and you don't.

I agree and disagree. <g> Or partially yes and partially no. Microtears or microtrauma DOMS will benefit from the protein and the MSM. However, all DOMS will benefit from the immune boosted accelerated healing of the magnesium and recovery properties of the potassium, the anti-inflammatory (reducing inflammation of all tissues) affects of the magnesium and MSM, the muscle-relaxing properties of the magnesium, and, to the extent there is some cramping and tightening causing the distress... they will benefit also from the magnesium and potassium's anti-cramping properties.

Women get monthly cramps with NO microtears, and magnesium will still lessen them. Just saying.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I personally have found that squats work my muscles differently than lunges so there isn't an impact to performance. Also doing interval training after lifting also seems to keep the soreness at bay. Good luck!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I agree and disagree. <g> Or partially yes and partially no. Microtears or microtrauma DOMS will benefit from the protein and the MSM. However, all DOMS will benefit from the immune boosted accelerated healing of the magnesium and recovery properties of the potassium, the anti-inflammatory (reducing inflammation of all tissues) affects of the magnesium and MSM, the muscle-relaxing properties of the magnesium, and, to the extent there is some cramping and tightening causing the distress... they will benefit also from the magnesium and potassium's anti-cramping properties.

Women get monthly cramps with NO microtears, and magnesium will still lessen them. Just saying.

Yeah, but nutrition-wise its probably almost as helpful to just eat a banana or two whilst maintaining a high-protein diet.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    want to research later...
  • Doberdawn
    Options

Yeah, but nutrition-wise its probably almost as helpful to just eat a banana or two whilst maintaining a high-protein diet.

By all means, do or don't do what works for you. But, I have tried that theory out on myself. Bananas + hi-pro diet = still sore... Had to have the magnesium & MSM mix added in.
  • jlapey
    Options

Are you sure this is DOMS? My "mother-in-law" and her entire family swear that a pinch on salt on the tongue at onset can make leg cramps go away. I have no personal experience with this.
  • jlapey
    Options
    Just typing this out for my own benefit. Comments are welcome but not necessary. I just think better if it's written out in front of me.

It's two workouts (A and B) alternating with days off in between. 3 workouts in one week.

Current Schedule:

Tuesday -A
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-B
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-A
    Sunday-Off
    Monday-Off

Tuesday -B
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-A
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-B
    Sunday-Off
    Monday-Off

Perhaps If I take 2 days off after workout B (the one with the lunges) I can still can 3 a week. Workout A does not pose a big a pain problem as workout B.

Tuesday -A
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-B
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-A
    Monday-Off

Tuesday -B
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-Off
    Friday-A
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-B
    Monday-Off

It only poses a problem when the cycle starts over and I don't get the additional day off. Unless I don't commit it to certain named days of the week and just cycle through that way. Each week will fall differently but I'm still getting 3 workouts a week. hmmm Could work.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I do other routines mixed in with machines and dumbbells, but right now, I do two workouts (A and B) from the Stronglifts Program alternating with days off in between, but unlike your schedule, I just let it flow through and alternate weeks:
    Monday-Off
    Tuesday -A
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-B
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-A
    Sunday-Off
    Monday-B
    Tuseday-Off
    Wednesday-A
    Thursday-Off
    Friday-B
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-A

Rinse and Repeat. So, I know I'm just doing it every other day. It works for me. *shrugs*
  • jlapey
    Options
    I do other routines mixed in with machines and dumbbells, but right now, I do two workouts (A and B) from the Stronglifts Program alternating with days off in between, but unlike your schedule, I just let it flow through and alternate weeks:
    Monday-Off
    Tuesday -A
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-B
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-A
    Sunday-Off
    Monday-B
    Tuseday-Off
    Wednesday-A
    Thursday-Off
    Friday-B
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-A

Rinse and Repeat. So, I know I'm just doing it every other day. It works for me. *shrugs*

The problem with "every other day" is I'm too sore after workout B and need the extra day. Otherwise, that would be ideal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just typing this out for my own benefit. Comments are welcome but not necessary. I just think better if it's written out in front of me.

It's two workouts (A and B) alternating with days off in between. 3 workouts in one week.

Current Schedule:

Tuesday -A
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-B
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-A
    Sunday-Off
    Monday-Off

Tuesday -B
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-A
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-B
    Sunday-Off
    Monday-Off

Perhaps If I take 2 days off after workout B (the one with the lunges) I can still can 3 a week. Workout A does not pose a big a pain problem as workout B.

Tuesday -A
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-B
    Friday-Off
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-A
    Monday-Off

Tuesday -B
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-Off
    Friday-A
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-B
    Monday-Off

It only poses a problem when the cycle starts over and I don't get the additional day off. Unless I don't commit it to certain named days of the week and just cycle through that way. Each week will fall differently but I'm still getting 3 workouts a week. hmmm Could work.

Play around with it and see which one works best. As long as you get the 3 workouts in a week and have at least one day between, it comes down to personal preference at that stage.