Should I ask him out?

Options
UrbanLotus
UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
Serious advice would help please - sorry this is so long, I want to give you an accurate pic of what has happened so far. I am never an initiator but I am trying to be different since my previous tactics were not working lol. But I am still hesitant :(.

Met him online, first date was 2 weeks ago - it was AMAZING! Both of us said in our profiles that we are looking for long term relationships. Stupid me went back to his place after (we just made out, but for hours, seriously). Second date was 3 days later - I texted him, came up that it was his birthday the day before so I said I owed him a drink, he said lets do it tonight. Another amazing date, same deal - back to his place and made out. At the end I said I would see him next week when I got back to town (was heading out for a long wknd). He is amazing whenever we talk or hang out, seems so interested in getting to know all about me, we have fun, intellectual convos, etc.

I texted him 2 days later, he emailed me a personality test we had talked about, we emailed back and forth about that and other stuff for a bit. The next day he gchatted me (I hadn't added him, so that was a nice surprise). I went out of town that day, gchatted him when I got back, had a great convo for about 2 hours but no mention of hanging out. That was on Monday and I haven't heard from him since.

I was thinking about texting him tonight asking him to hang out on Saturday - suggest going to a winery since that is something he had wanted to do. I feel kind of stupid doing it since he hasn't contacted me (he has been really busy this week at work since his boss is out of the office, but just a hi or something would have been nice) - but then, what do I have to lose? This is the first guy in years that I have really felt so much chemistry with and feel like he is long term material.

So - yes or no, and why? And what is your take on the situation?

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't...
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    I just feel like if he wanted to talk to me or see me, he would initiate :(. So if he doesn't, he isn't interested.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    You realize you are doing the same thing, right?
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    I know, but I have initiated! In all the interactions since we have met, he initiated once. And he is a GUY, he is supposed to initiate! Okkkkkkkkkk yes, I am trying to break myself of this type of thinking but its hard! The whole - he's just not that into you thing is ingrained in my brain, if the guy likes me he will pursue! Does that honestly not hold true for you? (and other men out there!)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Should you ask him out? No...

but I see nothing wrong with dropping a "hey, i hope you're surviving your busy week!" text, which should remind him about you...and then he should take the opportunity to say back, "thank you, i'm trying, would you like to go out together this weekend" etc. You get the gist. If he says that back, great. But if he doesn't say anything back to your text, I would consider it gone.

I'm not really for girls asking guys out..but you can certainly push him in the right direction, show interest, etc. But there is nothing wrong with putting out the first contact.

I say this because I have heard time and time again that men will make a move if they are interested, but they might be shy/nervous, etc so you should show them it is okay too!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't...

wise words..........from a guy!

As you said yourself, nothing to lose !!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Ok, I texted him to start a convo, just asked how his day was - depending on his response I'll ask about Saturday. Any other opinions/takes on the general situation are much appreciated :)
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Ok, I texted him to start a convo, just asked how his day was - depending on his response I'll ask about Saturday. Any other opinions/takes on the general situation are much appreciated :)

Find a cool and unique event going on and suggest it. I disagree with Christine and actually am not a huge fan of that attitude and how I portray it playing out in a developing relationship. Indirectness and lack of initiative mixed with the dating "games" that make all of this so confusing. Sorry, Christine!

If he is into you, he will really appreciate the effort. If he is sort of on the fence, this might be the thing to win him over. If not, he will say no and you can put your effort somewhere else. Put some thought into it.

/humble opinion from a very non-expert.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You get the gist. If he says that back, great. But if he doesn't say anything back to your text, I would consider it gone.
    Wow.
    Frankly if you are lucky enough to meet someone with who you have good chemistry, you should try a little harder than that. Unless you really have a big dating pool and your options are almost limitless (very few people).

Back on topic, not sure how many times dates you had, but if it really becomes an issue then maybe talk to him about it at some point... Something along the lines of:
    "So... When will you invite me to something YOU want to do? Otherwise we will end up doing only the things I want and I'm not sure it's the best way for me to know more about you."
    It makes him feel like a man as you "trust him", he picks the activity so he is proud, and you win as you get to know the kind of activities he would pick (know him more and feel like a woman from time to time).
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Find a cool and unique event going on and suggest it. I disagree with Christine and actually am not a huge fan of that attitude and how I portray it playing out in a developing relationship. Indirectness and lack of initiative mixed with the dating "games" that make all of this so confusing. Sorry, Christine!

If he is into you, he will really appreciate the effort. If he is sort of on the fence, this might be the thing to win him over. If not, he will say no and you can put your effort somewhere else. Put some thought into it.

/humble opinion from a very non-expert.

Yup, I want to suggest going to wine country (we live pretty close) - he has wanted to do it since he moved here not too long ago, so hopefully he is up for it!

THIS is really great - "If he is into you, he will really appreciate the effort. If he is sort of on the fence, this might be the thing to win him over. If not, he will say no and you can put your effort somewhere else. Put some thought into it." You're right! I used to do the same thing you said Christine, but I'm 33 and single so I figure its time for a different approach :). And the men I actually like are soooo few that I do need to up my effort a bit - I just don't want to push too hard or initiate if he is clearly not at all interested.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    You get the gist. If he says that back, great. But if he doesn't say anything back to your text, I would consider it gone.
    Wow.
    Frankly if you are lucky enough to meet someone with who you have good chemistry, you should try a little harder than that. Unless you really have a big dating pool and your options are almost limitless (very few people).

Back on topic, not sure how many times dates you had, but if it really becomes an issue then maybe talk to him about it at some point... Something along the lines of:
    "So... When will you invite me to something YOU want to do? Otherwise we will end up doing only the things I want and I'm not sure it's the best way for me to know more about you."
    It makes him feel like a man as you "trust him", he picks the activity so he is proud, and you win as you get to know the kind of activities he would pick (know him more and feel like a woman from time to time).

Only 2 dates so far! He has made the plans both times so that isn't an issue, its just the whole issue of initiating contact in between you know?
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello! Its 2013, ask him out. The worst thing that can happen is that he says no.

Why waste time wondering?
  • christine24t
    Options
    I disagree with Christine and actually am not a huge fan of that attitude and how I portray it playing out in a developing relationship. Indirectness and lack of initiative mixed with the dating "games" that make all of this so confusing. Sorry, Christine!

That is absolutely fine, no need for apologies! I know my opinion is old fashioned but I stick to it.
    Wow.

I would absolutely try to initiate contact but if a guy doesn't say anything back I wouldn't keep texting and calling. I would take the hint. Absolutely not. Nothing should be one sided, it should be equal. How many times have you seen or heard about two people where one person is all into the other one and the other doesn't care at all? It should be give and take. If I call or text you and you say nothing back, I'm not going to keep trying.

That is why I say put out a feeler (text, call) but don't go all in on the first try.
    I used to do the same thing you said Christine, but I'm 33 and single so I figure its time for a different approach :). And the men I actually like are soooo few that I do need to up my effort a bit - I just don't want to push too hard or initiate if he is clearly not at all interested.

That is a great idea to switch it up and I agree. You can give a little push and he can pull, ya know??
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    I would absolutely try to initiate contact but if a guy doesn't say anything back I wouldn't keep texting and calling. I would take the hint. Absolutely not. Nothing should be one sided, it should be equal. How many times have you seen or heard about two people where one person is all into the other one and the other doesn't care at all? It should be give and take. If I call or text you and you say nothing back, I'm not going to keep trying.

Oh you are absolutely right!! Agreed to not go all out on the first text - but he did respond and we have been texting, he asked what I was doing this weekend so then I put it out there. Crossing my fingers!
  • christine24t
    Options

Oh you are absolutely right!! Agreed to not go all out on the first text - but he did respond and we have been texting, he asked what I was doing this weekend so then I put it out there. Crossing my fingers!

That is great!!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same..... to just ask him. Maybe it's been a busy week for him. Maybe he thinks you're not interested, because he hasn't heard from you.

Glad you are texting with him again. Good luck!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I actually tend to agree with Christine because of my past. It got to the point I had to initiate everything and that felt ****ty after awhile too. So I usually let the guy come to me for awhile and then I am ok to initiate -- dates that is. No problem with feeler texts but usually after date 1 I leave it for the guy to make contact with me first to see where we stand then it is all good. I don't know I am on the fence. One guy I had to do it ALL so makes you wonder how much he liked me but then I just got blindsided by a guy after 5 dates that said he liked more persistent girls. That early on?? Like begging for dates?? I don't get it.

EtA: the persistent girls isn't the blindsided issue. Just something I remember him saying.
  • kimad
    Options
    A thought -- I read so much how men like to chase women, to court them. So where is the line??
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Yup, I want to suggest going to wine country (we live pretty close) - he has wanted to do it since he moved here not too long ago, so hopefully he is up for it!

I find it incredibly sexy when a woman has her own opinions and interests. Throw a hobby or two on top of that and it's like striking gold. Wine country sounds like a great idea.

I personally tend to end up with those lacking all of the above.

Good luck to you!
  • kimad
    Options

I find it incredibly sexy when a woman has her own opinions and interests. Throw a hobby or two on top of that and it's like striking gold. Wine country sounds like a great idea.

I personally tend to end up with those lacking all of the above.

Good luck to you!

Really? I can plan a date like noones business. I enjoy it and the surprises :)
    I guess I am creative with lots of interests/hobbies. :p yet still single lol