jitters

Options
fiberartist219
fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
Over the last month or so, I've been a bit stressed out. The company I work for is going through a merger, and I've had a couple of family members get hospitalized, so whether I'm at work or at home, it feels like there is something big or scary always going on.

Due to the stress, I've lost some sleep, and I get jittery. I reduced my caffeine intake drastically, and I asked my doctor to lower my Levothyroxine from 88mcg to 75mcg. None of that really did much for the way I was feeling. As the stress started to subside, so did my issues with being jittery and not being able to sleep.

With the changes at work, I have applied for a new position. In the long run, it might be a good move. In the short term, it brought my jitters back. When I found out the interview time, my hand literally started shaking.

I haven't really had much to stress out about in a few years, so I guess I have been lucky. However, when I do get a bit shaky and wired, I avoid exercise, for fear of injury or getting my heart rate up and getting dizzy.

Has anyone else experienced this? With the new dosage, of course, I have to get more labs done. I am wondering if perhaps I should ask about testing for other hormones than just the usual thyroid tests. Would cortisol or adrenaline cause these kinds of feelings? Keep in mind that I learned to ride a motorcycle last summer, and that was not nearly as scary as how I've been feeling the last few weeks. It really takes a lot to stir me up like this, and I wonder if there are hormone issues involved rather than it being purely stress related.

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry you've had all that stress. I got that way from stress too, it turned into adrenal fatigue & I tested low in cortisol. I got to a naturapath, who put me on Isocort, and I now feel fantastic. Apparently if your adrenals tank, your thyroid meds stop working also. stopthethyroidmadness has a lot about adrenal fatigue & thyroid. You can search out articles, etc. They also have links to what tests you can order yourself, or get your Dr. to do. However, most Dr's don't really treat adrenal fatigue (from what I've read).
    Hope you get help. I know how miserable it is. It will end up, that you'll get adrenal rushes just from a scary movie's music... or any hint of conflict. I'm getting much better now. Take valerian & st. johns wort if I have to face a stressful situation & it can help a little too.
    Exercise didn't hurt me. In fact, I think it helped.
  • dreamer0219
    dreamer0219 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could be suffering from anxiety & panic attacks. Talk to your doctor about it and see what they have to say. Good luck!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    In my experience the jitters are caused when your free T4 levels are too high, from being on a T4-only med like Synthroid or Levothyroxine.

When were your free T3 and free T4 last tested?

The stress response can cause your body to reduce the conversion of T4 into T3, worsening the effects of being on a T4-only med. I would strongly recommend that you get your free T3 tested, and if it's low you may need T3 in pill form (either synthetic, or switching to a combo T3/T4 med).

Have you been tested for autoimmune thyroid disease? Often the stress response can trigger antibodies, which throw your thyroid off. I would ask to be tested for anti-TPO antibodies. This doesn't sound like anxiety or panic attacks to me, this sounds like you're on the wrong thyroid meds.