Kettlebells and strength

Options
traceyjj
traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
OK, this is probably a silly question, but I am very new to strength training!
I went to the gym last night for a free consultation with "my" trainer (the one who showed me the ropes when I first joined)
I had been doing a small group training session which included some HIIT and other cardio, some weight/sand bags and kettlebells etc. I asked about progressing more on the weights side as I enjoyed that more than the cardio, so he's put together a kettlebell routine which includes squats, lunges, rows, deadlifts and swings, with bells of 12 and 20Kgs, is this going to help me progress onto heavier lifting.
How difficult is it to transition from kettlebells to barbells, and then to the "big-boys toys" ;) And will kettlebells give me a good weight training workout when I move up to the higher weight kettlebells, or do I need to get used to lifting the ones larger than the 20kgs, then move across to other types of lifting?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I train with both kettlebells and barbells on a regular basis. Barbells two or three times per week, kettlebells the other days. I took some time off from barbell training and just did kettlebells for a couple months, and I maintained the strength I had built with barbells over that "rest" period away from barbells. Kind of interesting.

My kettlebell training is a little different from yours, as I was focusing on cleans and presses, turkish get ups, swings, snatches, and goblet squats. Yours also looks good! Just a different set of exercises from what I did most of the time, though I have used all those exercises your trainer assigned you.

Kettlebells are an excellent tool for building strength and explosive power when used correctly and consistently. I'm a huge fan! Anyone reading is welcome to add me--I love to talk kettlebells and barbells, and make lots of blog posts about strength training.

ETA: what do you mean by "big boys toys"? Is there some reason you can't train with barbells and dumbbells now?
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

By big boys toys I meant the heavy weights on the full size bars (they are on the opposite end of my gym to the kettlebells/dumbells and small barbells, rather than the barbells that are a predetermined weight. - new to all this lifting so I dont know the right terms :blushing:
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I train with big boy toys, kettlebells, machines and my own body weight. I don't think it's important WHICH of these you train with - just HOW you train with them. My view on kettlebells? They are just another heavy thing to pick up and put down :) As long as you're on a good training program do what works for you - and more importantly - what you LIKE to do! Best of luck.