Meat!

Options
THExNEKOxCHAN
THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
Let's talk about meat.

I love meat, personally. Eating meat is very satisfying.

I live in Tasmania, where almost all the beef is grass-fed (if not all). I think most of the pork is pastured as well. And, I believe factory farming of chickens has been banned (or is in the process of being banned).

As it is, the meat supply in our state is pretty good. However, if I get the chance, I still choose the meats that were raised well, and slaughtered humanely by my own hand.

I enjoy game meats as well, and "specialty" meats: rabbit, wallaby, kangaroo, quail, duck, etc.

Today, I was just offered two more wallaby haunches. A friend of ours is a hunter, and he bagged a few. he guts, skins and cleans them up a bit, and for 30 bucks, I get the back/pelvis, tail, and two thighs of the animal. Approximately 4 or 5 kilos of meat.

Wallaby is a very lean, dark meat with a sweet, sage-like, gamey flavor, and cooks up really nicely with veggies.

What sort of meat do you like? Where is it from? Where do you buy it from?

Replies

• sparky38351
    Options
    nearly all of our beef is bought from a local farm, where the cattle are entirely grass fed. We also buy a lot of our pork there. We buy free range eggs and chickens when we can afford it, but otherwise buy the store stuff and trim the fat off. We are also hunters and fishers, so all winder long we have deer burger and sausage and most of the summer we have fresh bass to eat!
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    This week I hope to experiment with pork belly, chicken livers, and plenty of grass fed beef. Mmm.
  • sparky38351
    Options
    I'm curious about pork belly, let me know how it goes!
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    It was interesting. Once again, I failed at making crackling, but the meat was rich and fatty. I think marinated with a garlic and citrus marinade and slow roasted, it'd be fantastic. Serve with potatoes and lots of veggies (okay, maybe not the potatoes, but I was having an indulgence day.)

The chicken livers were DISGUSTING. I managed to blend up four and add them to a mix of beef and turkey mince, onion, garlic, and spices to make meatloaf (couldn't taste them, that was good), but I am NEVER buying them again. The smell alone made me want to spew. Or call a priest. Or both.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    Just had some fantastic goat for a roast yesterday. Ah, I'd forgotten just how good a nice leg of goat is.