calories?

Options
Hi gang,
My name is Jen. I started paleo 2 days ago and am trying to get my feet on sold ground here. My holistic doctor actually encouraged me to try paleo to help releive symptoms of MS. I also think this is the plan for me, something that makes sense for me. I need to lose weight as well, but honestly...I just want to feel better. :smile:

Anyhow, I am confused a bit about how you all use this site if you count calories. Doesn't calorie counting kind of go again paleo? Any tips or suggestion, kind opinions, are welcome and I'm grateful for them. :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much!

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Paleo and also counting calories. I worry that I'm not getting enough calories because I sometimes don't even reach 1000 in a day, but I'm not feeling hungry at the end of the day either. Logging my food also helps me keep track of how many carbs/fat I'm getting each day. I actually follow those numbers more closely than the calories.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Now that I'm Paleo, I don't count calories as strictly as I used to, but I do try to stay within 1500-1800 calories a day. This site also helps me to track my carb/sugar intake. Best of luck on your Paleo journey!
  • tigger9759
    tigger9759 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly trying to track to keep up with carbs and sugar; but also to ensure that I'm getting adequate amounts of proteins and fats. I try to stay around certain amounts of calories but don't kill myself to do so :smile:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly trying to track to keep up with carbs and sugar; but also to ensure that I'm getting adequate amounts of proteins and fats. I try to stay around certain amounts of calories but don't kill myself to do so :smile:

^^This. I track to keep an eye on my carbs (50g) and sugar (25g). I also track to try to keep my calories up - I tend to have difficulty getting all my calories.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options

^^This. I track to keep an eye on my carbs (50g) and sugar (25g). I also track to try to keep my calories up - I tend to have difficulty getting all my calories.

Also agree, but with slightly lower carbs! I only count them, and try to keep them below 35 grams( I am trying to lose weight). I only don't count calories because it made me crazy, and binge! By not counting I don't get nutty, or at least ot as nutty, haha!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Ditto on using MFP to monitor macros. For my health I benefit most from a very high fat, very low carb way of eating. I try to keep net carbs under 20 grams per day. On days that I have "treats" I keep it under 50 grams. Mostly I need to make sure that I eat more fat if I didn't get enough for the day. The fat keeps me from being hungry or starting to crave carbs. And fat makes me feel awesome and lose weight.

So, yes, I look at the calories, but the way I eat seems to fend off over-eating quite naturally. I have my calorie goal at 1500 and usually eat around that much. (I change my calorie goal periodically as I lose weight.) I don't care about the calories that much and if I needed to, I wouldn't fear going over on occasion.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ditto on using MFP to monitor macros. For my health I benefit most from a very high fat, very low carb way of eating. I try to keep net carbs under 20 grams per day. On days that I have "treats" I keep it under 50 grams. Mostly I need to make sure that I eat more fat if I didn't get enough for the day. The fat keeps me from being hungry or starting to crave carbs. And fat makes me feel awesome and lose weight.

So, yes, I look at the calories, but the way I eat seems to fend off over-eating quite naturally. I have my calorie goal at 1500 and usually eat around that much. (I change my calorie goal periodically as I lose weight.) I don't care about the calories that much and if I needed to, I wouldn't fear going over on occasion.

Your success has helped me realize fat isn't bad! Funny how carbs can throw your body out of wack!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started using it to make sure I eat enough! It's easy to get really full on not many calories when you eat Paleo. I also use it to keep an eye on my macros so I don't just eat apples all day... :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I started using it to make sure I eat enough!

Likewise.

I practice IF (Intermittent Fasting) and am trying to gain weight. Surprisingly, a pound of ground organ meat (cheap) on a kilo of potatoes covered in cheese, salsa, greek yoghurt and guacamole is actually ~2000kcal. So dessert is a must.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Same here, make sure I eat enough and keeping my carbs in check which is not going all that well but I'm eating better than I used to
  • AprilThirty
    Options
    Thanks guys. The idea of NOT getting enough cals is definitely foreign to me! I am usually so hungry when I count calories. I must admit, the past two days I haven't felt it. I do get hungry, but then I eat. And i haven't walked around feeling like I'm hungry but not "allowed" to eat.

I'm definitely new at this...and still in awe that some of you struggle to eat "enough" calories in a day. Amazing. Even more appeal for me to keep at it ;-)
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have found that I need to track calories because my portion sizes can get out of control. I tried to keep my calories around 1600 a day, which I fairly easy with lots of chicken and fish.