I really hate going to the gym.

Options
How many of you enjoy going to the gym. I hate it. I find it that to many people have attitudes, or they sweat on machines/weights and don't even clean them off. Not everyone but that small few. These are the reasons why I hate going to the gym:
* To much of the "I'm hot and your not " attitude. But really if I wanted to kick your azz, I would consider that exercise for myself.
* To those who sweat on the machines/weights, clean them. I don't need your stinky azz germs.
* I hate waiting for the exercise machines, and they only have 1 machine and their is a line up.
I need to something to do for exercise so I can add it to my fitness pal. But I don't want the gym. I want to start walking in my neighborhood but I got to wait till spring time. I'm not liking the cold. I worked outside for close to 20 years. If anyone can give me any ideas. Can't promise I will use them. But I want some exercise time as I'm not an exercised person. Haven't done exercise in years. I don't even remember what exercise is. :laugh:

Replies

• Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Gosh yer grumpy!
    "You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark" . No need for gym or going out. Its easly written, easy enough to start up even for someone with no experience. Got it as a gift, so no idea about price, but It's on Amazon aparently.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    I am not a big fan of gyms either. This is why I started to figure skate at not so tender age of 22. This not only have improved my fitness level dramatically but also has been the most fun I've ever had. If you don't like gyms, I'd definitely recommend taking up some activity that you think you might actually enjoy.
  • kountryedge
    Options
    8.94 on Amazon.. :smile: I've never been to a gym and yes, I can highly fear the ick that is drooling on the machines. So thus, I would carry my own spray. Just as I did when I used to go tanning. You think I'm going to trust the employees and that they REALLY clean it good before the next person? Ummm......... no.

But the closest town (small town) which wants an arm and a leg to go and join. But if I want to pay cheaper and have WAY MORE OPTIONS offered for me for a great price, I then have to drive 60 mls round trip. It just does not weigh out real good now does it.

But then I have this other issue, I have a fear of groups, people, a lot of people, so that is something I battle with.

I hope you get something figured out. I'm new here and have no clue as to calories, carbs, etc.... Color me blonde :huh:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Here's an anecdote for you - I HATED the snootiness of gyms, the fact that people don't clean up after themselves, and waiting for a machine, especially during busy periods. I then moved and joined a new gym - no snootiness, EVERYONE cleans up the machines when they are done, and there is a sign up board for all cardio machines so you never actually have to wait until someone leaves. When I was first trying out the gym, I attended a spin class (my first one ever). There was one young woman who was snooty, just as you described. I was having trouble with the bike. The instructor wasn't there yet, so I didn't have any help setting it up. She looked over at me, rolled her eyes, laughed, and then tried to get the attention of some of the more seasoned cyclists in the class, presumably to join her in the eye rolling. Rather than joining her, one of the spandex-clad, incredibly fit, and super intimidating guys came over to me, introduced himself, and helped me set up my bike. I am nowhere nearly as fit as they are, but they were very welcoming and inclusive, and now they're my spinning friends whom I meet for dinner once a month. Sounds cheesy, but seriously - if those are the reasons why you do not like gyms, then maybe you're just at the wrong one! Oh, and that other girl, she spins in the corner by herself now.

If gyms still are not your speed - try at home workouts with DVDs? I think youtube has some workouts too. Alternatively, see if there are any running or biking groups (or other sporting clubs) in your area that you could join.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i'm not a huge fan of the gym but i love love love my group fitness classes :)
    maybe you should give them a try?
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely hit a different gym. Different gyms have different cultures.

Now, for working out at home. It is important to find a fun activity. I'm with you on the too darned cold outside. I like to fire up the Xbox Kinect and dance like an idiot. If that isn't your thing, well, I've recently picked up a cheap mini-trampoline at Aldi and some free weights. During commercial breaks I jog on the trampoline. While my shows are on I do sets with the free weights. If I want to do lower body I break out the resistance bands. Kinda like circuit training on the cheap.
  • judyann5254
    judyann5254 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know what your saying about the gym thing. It seems everyone is there for a fashion statement and to flex a muscle to show off.

Try doing P90X! It is an awesome program and can be done in your living room. It's an hour per day and get great results as long as you eat clean, of course. The program is somewhere around $140 which a lot cheaper than a gym membership.

Good luck!
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying a new gym. Each one seems to have a different attitude. Different times of the day can make a difference too. I have been going to the same gym for quite a while at the same time of day and have made friends. I really enjoy going and seeing everyone. It probably keeps me going to the gym on days I would rather stay home.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what gym you go to. The fitness club that I am a part of us awesome, it is a 24 hour fitness center where you can workout late (which I usually do) when no one is barely there. They also have the nicest and most helpful people who workout there and the staff is amazing. And there are about 30 treadmills, 30 ellipticals and 30 bikes - so there is always one available to use even when they are busy. As for the cleanliness part - well I do carry my own spray with me and clean off the equipment both before and after I am done so I have no problem with that :) Maybe you could search for a different gym to go to ?

Anyways you could always workout at home. I am not really motivated enough to do that - a gym keeps me on track and I workout more. But we own P90x and Turbo Fire and both are really awesome :)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to try a new gym. I found one here that is small and has no traffic over the noon hour. Like sometimes it's just me and sometimes me and one other guy. I never have to wait for anything, and everyone is very good about keeping things clean.

The other thing you should do is check out some fitness DVDs. You can do them in your living room. Leslie Sansone is, IMO, super perky (which I find really annoying), but her Walk Away the Pounds videos really do work. Personally, I love Jillian Michaels, as she isn't super perky. Her workouts are great and are relatively short (less than 1/2 hour or just over 1/2 hour).

If you have Netflix, you can get workout DVDs on Netflix and try them before you buy them (or use them until you are bored and go on to something else). This is the reason that I have tried strip-aerobics but do not own strip-aerobics. LOL

There are also fitness games and programs for the various gaming systems (Wii, Xbox, etc.).