Primal Pizza

Options
Shadowknight137
Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
Pizza. Pretty much the symbol of "junk food" and "unhealthy" indulgences, but why is that? Is it the evil gluten that is poison to coeliacs such as myself, or is it the caloric density of the thing?

Hell if I know. I just know it tastes good.

But can a pizza be enjoyed on a Primal/Paleo lifestyle?... To answer that question I say: yes, absolutely, but in moderation. Every once in a while have a baked treat from a "Paleo/Primal approved" flour, but don't make it a staple.

But without further ado and babbling, here's my recipe for pizza. Enjoy!

YOU WILL NEED
8496228337_1d698bb928.jpg
-Coconut flour
-Four whole eggs
-Salt, pepper and seasoning
-Pizza sauce / Tomato paste (store-bought or homemade)
-Two or more bacon strips (Or if you're against using pork because of religious reasons, or you're boring, feel free to use two tablespoons of butter or coconut oil)
-Toppings of choice (chicken/salami/olives/cheese/mushrooms/capsicum/etc)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Slice your bacon strips into pieces and toss in a frying pan on medium heat to fry. Once bacon has become nice and crispy and a fair deal of fat is left in the pan, place the bacon aside on a plate - it doubles as a topping.
8497331144_f93c26a97a.jpg

2) Prepare all your ingredients to top the pizza with; grate some cheese, dice your veggies, cut up some chicken breast, grab some pepperoni and make sure your bacon is still bacon.
8496227009_0e6486c5cb.jpg

3) Pour a 1/4 cup (roughly 33g) of coconut flour into a bowl.

8497331338_ddeb85c2f3.jpg
4) Crack four eggs on top of the coconut flour and add a sprinkle of salt, pepper, seasoning and (if you have any) garlic pepper). Then mix.
8497330712_951ca590e5.jpg
Don't even BOTHER trying to lower calories or do something silly by using just egg whites or decreasing the amount of eggs used. Believe me: this stuff is thick, you will need those four eggs.

5) Once the the eggs and pepper have been firmly mixed in together (you *may* need to add a tablespoon of water to get a desirable consistency, scrape the mix into the pan on top of the bacon fat resting in it.
8497330586_3b240a83bd.jpg
And spread the mix out across the pan. Think as if you were making a pancake; get it around all the edges.
8497330418_c98d4ed4b3.jpg

6) Once the underside of the pizza base has cooked - check this by running a spatula under the edges delicately, if it has, it should lift fairly smoothly - ever-so-carefully flip the base over and allow the other side to cook.
8497329758_beb74b3aae.jpg

7) Once both sides have been well-cooked and look similar to the image above, remove the base from the pan and p[lace it upon a baking tray ready for the oven. If you have any mixture left - and odds are, you probably will for at least one more pizza base - repeat the instructions exactly as above.

8) Allow your pizza base(s) to cool ever so slightly - maybe three minutes, whilst resting on the baking tray. Then, cover them in pizza sauce.
8496226325_14e5aa6cb0.jpg
Add as much sauce as you like - and I like a LOT of pizza sauce.

9)This next part is really simple. Take the toppings of your choice over to the pizza base(s).
8496226085_161a74c138.jpg
And put stuff on top of them.
8496225789_469d13817f.jpg

As a general rule of thumb, I would suggest putting the cheese - if you're using any - on last. This helps hold all the ingredients on top, and allows you to taste all the cheesy awesomeness.

10) Now, place the pizza(s) in the oven for around 10-15 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius (or 35o degrees Fahrenheit).
8496225577_8a761d1590.jpg
Keep an eye on them - last thing you want is shriveled, burnt pizza.

11) Once pizza(s) are appropriately cooked - slightly brown, melted cheese, smell becomes unresistable, etc - remove them from the oven.
8497328388_22cf32fd5f.jpg
And serve immediately. :)

8496222077_48c81620e4.jpg
Pepperoni-Bacon-Pizza.
8467100054_024bb3f846.jpg
Chicken-Bacon pizza.

Serves: 1-2
Macros for the entire base (Two bacon strips, 1/4 cup coconut flour, four eggs):
P: 39g (26%)
C: 25g (17%)
F: 38g (57%)
KCal: 605

I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and thank you for taking the time to read it. As usual, if you try it out and it works well, please let me know - eager to hear if it tastes nice for others. Also, if it works out well, please take a pic... we need pics for our food pics thread :P
If you have any other "junk" foods you want me to Primal/Paleoify, send me a PM and I'll be happy to consider it, as well as any suggestions. :D

Enjoy this "naughty" indulgence. :wink:
8497326046_cd6980d9ef_z.jpg

Replies

• cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow that looks very tasty! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • AprilThirty
    Options
    oh my that looks good....
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    This looks so delicious...I will try it tomorrow and report back :)
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I go easier - screw faking up the crust....

IMG_0276.jpg

'Pizzabellas' (I made pizzas using portabella caps as the crust),
    a garden salad with some leftover chicken breast thrown in,
    and some berries for dessert.

Scrape the gills out of the portabella, then fill with your favorite pizza toppings (in this case tomato sauce, fresh mozz, pepperoni and some fresh basil). Put on a cookie tray and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 (or until the portabella starts to sag). You pretty much have to eat it with a fork - but it tastes like you swiped the good parts off of everybody else's slice!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Hmm is it crunchy?

I do the cauliflower pizza crust and love it, but it it's more of a knife and fork pizza.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome! (bacon makes everything better)

My boss's wife has celiac & teenage sons--so every friday is pizza night at her house. Here's her cauliflower/almond crust recipe, which I think she developed from a few other recipes and trial/error:

2-3 eggs beaten
    2 cups shredded cauliflower (fresh-steamed slightly or shredded/frozen/thawed with the extra water pressed out)
    1 cup of almond flour
    salt/pepper/garlic/italian seasoning/red pepper flakes to taste

Mix all, if it seems a little dry add the extra egg (I usually don't need it), sometimes I throw in a little parmesan cheese too. Line a pan with parchment, spread the "dough" (more like paste....) in a circle (sometimes it helps to cover the pile with plastic wrap and squash it flat) but don't go too thin or it doesn't hold together so well. Bake 25-35 min at 350, let rest 10 min, then top with whatever & pop it under the broiler just long enough to melt cheese/heat veg & meat. Apparently with enough cheese on top this is teenage boy approved, even by one who "hates cauliflower."

I've had really good luck with this recipe--I make it about twice a month; and it makes my husband pretty happy (he's a pizza junkie). I'll do anything I can to get him eating better versions of the junk food he loves--maybe one day I can get him to give up grains completely. :-)

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, hope you don't mind me adding my favorite recipe too!
  • Lyndseed
    Options
    it tastes like you swiped the good parts off of everybody else's slice!

That looks amazing too! I'm notorious for stealing the mushrooms off the pizza around here, so this is right up my alley :-)
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This looks yummyyyy!! I will be trying!!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yum!!!!
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    This looks so delicious...I will try it tomorrow and report back :)

That's awesome! I hope it works out for you! :)

Scrape the gills out of the portabella, then fill with your favorite pizza toppings (in this case tomato sauce, fresh mozz, pepperoni and some fresh basil). Put on a cookie tray and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 (or until the portabella starts to sag). You pretty much have to eat it with a fork - but it tastes like you swiped the good parts off of everybody else's slice!

Aw, cute - your pizza is what I call my pizza topping!

I jest :P I've tried portabella as pizzas before, but never found they worked out for me all that well. Works better as buns, IMO.
    Hmm is it crunchy?

I do the cauliflower pizza crust and love it, but it it's more of a knife and fork pizza.

Ohh yea, it's crunchy. Very crispy, crunchy and - I mean this in all seriousness - dense. I kid you not, coconut flour is *ridiculously* filling.
    There's more than one reason I treat this as an indulgence - the obvious being that it's not exactly "Paleo" to extremists in the sense that it's baked (but screw that attitude, I like baking), but it's also very difficult to finish. While delicious and I love every mouthful, the pizza really sits in your stomach and fills you up.

Assuming you slice it up it can easily be eaten by hand, or you can eat it by fork - I always end up doing a mix of both, since the toppings fall off onto the plate (I'm a messy eater with pizza) :P
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    That looks awesome! (bacon makes everything better)

My boss's wife has celiac & teenage sons--so every friday is pizza night at her house. Here's her cauliflower/almond crust recipe, which I think she developed from a few other recipes and trial/error:

2-3 eggs beaten
    2 cups shredded cauliflower (fresh-steamed slightly or shredded/frozen/thawed with the extra water pressed out)
    1 cup of almond flour
    salt/pepper/garlic/italian seasoning/red pepper flakes to taste

Mix all, if it seems a little dry add the extra egg (I usually don't need it), sometimes I throw in a little parmesan cheese too. Line a pan with parchment, spread the "dough" (more like paste....) in a circle (sometimes it helps to cover the pile with plastic wrap and squash it flat) but don't go too thin or it doesn't hold together so well. Bake 25-35 min at 350, let rest 10 min, then top with whatever & pop it under the broiler just long enough to melt cheese/heat veg & meat. Apparently with enough cheese on top this is teenage boy approved, even by one who "hates cauliflower."

I've had really good luck with this recipe--I make it about twice a month; and it makes my husband pretty happy (he's a pizza junkie). I'll do anything I can to get him eating better versions of the junk food he loves--maybe one day I can get him to give up grains completely. :-)

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, hope you don't mind me adding my favorite recipe too!

I don't mind at all - I like recipes being shared, and if my thread spurs people to put their recipes up (particularly ones I can try) I call that success. :P

I've never tried cauliflower crust, not sure I want to. I may do sometime, buuuutt... I dunno. I'd have to find a substitute for the almond flour. I absolutely loathe that stuff; not only is it kinda gross (IMO), but it's also loaded with 06's and I've been recommended against it.
  • Lyndseed
    Options

I've never tried cauliflower crust, not sure I want to. I may do sometime, buuuutt... I dunno. I'd have to find a substitute for the almond flour. I absolutely loathe that stuff; not only is it kinda gross (IMO), but it's also loaded with 06's and I've been recommended against it.

It may work with coconut flour instead... maybe 1/3 cup instead of 1 cup, and you'd probably need the 3rd egg, but I've never tried it.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    may have to try that soon.
  • purebliss24
    Options
    Interesting...looks great. I just made the primal pizza crust recipe (i found on MDA). 2 cups almond flour, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp olive oil bake for 15 mins at 350. It was really good! I was happy to not give up pizza with the family.

What is 06's you refer to - in regards to almond flour above?

I've made the cauliflower pizza crust but the recipe I have is very cheesy - so I didn't feel right toping it with cheese also :) Ha!

Thanks for your great recipes.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

IMG_0276.jpg

[/quote

Will be trying this recipe tomorrow night. Sounds really good. Thank you for sharing.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What is 06's you refer to - in regards to almond flour above?

Most nuts are high in Omega 6 fatty acids - which is something that paleo/primal diets try to avoid. It is why nuts are eaten is small amounts - while they do have health benefits, we are trying to eat so that the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ration is 1:1 (or at least 1:10) and nuts drag the ratio in the other direction.

The amount of nut flour used in this recipe is problematic in that regard.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    If I want a pizza, I use Isabel's pizza base mix which is made from cassava starch. It's high carb, sure, and it's a very occasional indulgence, but there's no grain in it, and no added sugar or other nasties, you just add an egg and water. I don't like using large amounts of nut flour, and I'm not sure about a coconut tasting pizza!

I don't think cassava is banned on primal, but it's very high starch, which is the main drawback - lots of calories, but not much nutrition there. I tend to pack it with veggies and grilled chicken and go easy on the cheese.
  • Myzztique
    Myzztique Posts: 26 Member
    Options

IMG_0276.jpg

Yummm, this sounds delish!

Anyone tried making a meatza and have a good recipe?
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    (pardon me while I sound like a "valley girl".......O M G!)

bump
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Howl - buy yourself a good cast iron pan! Trash that Teflon. You'll have it for the ret of your life and your life will never be the same.

Great recipe.