Had a stroke years ago and its time to lose weight!!!

Options
I had a stroke almost 8 years ago at 27 years old. Three days after giving birth. I gained approximately 40 pounds between then and January 2013. I started MFP a month ago and lost 12 pounds, but I hit a plateau and exercise takes me so much longer than everyone else or I can't do it at all. I am getting frustrated. Can anyone help with exercise suggestions??? I asked my friends the same question today and the only suggestion I got was doing the elliptical, but guess what I can't. I don't have the strength on my right side to do it. Can anyone HELP???

Replies

• Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in a month is fantastic! Have you also measured yourself in terms of around the waist / arms / thighs as sometimes when you stop loosing on the scales you'll find your body is changing shape for the better.

Why not tell us what you CAN do physically so that we can come up with suggestions on exercises? It'll save us suggesting things that aren't much use to you.
  • Dorothy2Dorothy
    Options
    Hello everyone :smile:
    I also had a stroke. Well it is a Brain Aneurysm,then had a stroke. My right side is paralized. My foot and ankle is the major problem. Anyway, I got a fitbit and was following Dr. Hyman's ten detox book. Losing weight is an issue, which many now for all of us. I think I tend to stay focus on my water and the food BUT do not really do the exercise. It comes and goes as far as the exercise. Know a couple of months, still watching you guys, and I need to join you ! Just need the push I guess ? I don't know. Want to need 30 lbs. Always take it off, than it comes back. My food is pretty good as well as the water. Guess it has to be the exercise ! Very impressed for your commitment ! Hopefully I can follow........
  • cherylrthomas
    cherylrthomas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the arms only on the NuStep. NuStep is a seated stepping machine with pulls for arms. The seat swivels for entrance. I am unable to do the leg portion because of severe knee joint problems but I can at least get my feet on the steps. It is much more accessible than an eliptical machine.
    I also walk in water.