Recipes for veges on the side

Options
primalkiwi
primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
I'm always stuck for great tasting vegetable dishes that I can combine with a steak off the bbq. I came up with this one tonight and it was pretty good served with a pork steak. Think this is going to become an easy standby dish as it would be easy to sub other veg. Tastes good enough to serve to company too!

Would love to see everyone else's ideas :-)

Ginger Vegetables - serves 4

2 carrots, sliced or cut into 2 inch batons
1 red pepper, sliced
Broccoli - 1 head broken into small pieces
1 Courgette - cut into 2 inch batons
Fresh ginger - grated, 2-3 tsps
Garlic 2 cloves, peeled and crushed
1Tb Avocado Oil Infused With Lime - I'm guessing some lime zest would also work or change it up with sesame oil instead
Finely chopped fresh chilli, to taste
3/4 cup of water

Combine all in large pan or wok. Bring to boil, cook until liquid nearly evaporated and veg are crisp tender. Approx 10 mins,I took lid off for last 5 mins to let the liquid evaporate. Serve topped with sliced spring onions and chopped coriander.

Replies

• primalperson1
    primalperson1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'll come up with some veggie recipes too as I need to increase my veggie consumption.
    Carol
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make different variations on this a lot:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html

It's tasty with or without cheese, I've subbed melted coconut oil for the olive oil, almonds for pinenuts, and left out the nuts entirely in favor of crumbled bacon. I imagine it would be equally good with cauliflower instead of broccoli. It's the lemon juice/zest and garlic that make it so awesome :-)
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you want to make steak more interesting straight off the bbq i'd top it with Gremolata, salsa verde or green goddess dressing.

my usual sides that i have with bbq of any kind ...

-zucchini sliced in half, topped with parmesan and grilled yum!

-green beans with walnuts and butter

-Caramelised Onions

-baked kumara, pumpkin, garlic and rosemary tossed in a salad of rocket and feta

-Spinach, red onion, black olives and orange salad

-Greek salad (tomato,olives,red onion, cucumber, basil) with grilled haloumi.

-tomato and watermelon salad with red wine vinegar dressing

-Coleslaw ...cabbage, red onion, parsley, carrot. Dressing plain yogurt, oil, lemon juice. Topped with mixed toasted seeds with a little soy sauce...so good

-Raw mushroom spinach almond and zucchini salad with orange and parmesan dressing.

I have recipes for all of the above :)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Annabel Langbein recipes? She has some great ideas in her books,actually I've noticed lots of her recipes fit the primal/paleo bill or are easy enough to adapt.
    Thanks for the great ideas!