paleo/primal no meat

Options
I'm curious if any of you out there have done this without meat and fish instead?
I have severe digestive issues that are making it difficult to digest meat without taking enzymes so I thought I would take a month and stay off meat and see if giving my digestion a break would make any difference.
Let me know your thoughts on primal/paleo sans meat.

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I would just be concerned as to where you would get your protein from since soy products and beans are not primal/paleo and dairy is not paleo. Did you say you WOULD be eating fish/seafood? Your wording was a bit confusing. The concern there is mercury levels if you're eating large amounts, but I'm not very knowledgeable on that topic.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'd say it can be done. IMHO, Paleo is about eating whole foods, regardless of macronutrient content - bloody FRUITAIRIANS are Paleo, and try telling them that, it drives them bonkers. :P

As for getting protein in, it could be a bit difficult. I'm just gonna have to say the obvious: eggs. Lots of eggs. That said, getting more protein for your calorie buck will be a lot easier if you eat Primal over Paleo - you'll have access to dairy, thus cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, milk and protein shakes.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have been primal for the 1.5 years with times off in-between.
    I am doing a whole 30 at the moment so no dairy.
    I am eating fish but not lots..eggs a bit as well but find them too hard on my digestion to have them all the time.I also don't have access to organic or even cage free eggs where I live unless I drive over 1.25 hours each way to get them,needless to say,it would make them some very expensive eggs!
    I am upping my fat in the form of coconut oil and cooking in ghee.
    I am still managing to get in plenty of calories but lots from fat..
    Does anyone think fat can make up for protein?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I have been primal for the 1.5 years with times off in-between.
    I am doing a whole 30 at the moment so no dairy.
    I am eating fish but not lots..eggs a bit as well but find them too hard on my digestion to have them all the time.I also don't have access to organic or even cage free eggs where I live unless I drive over 1.25 hours each way to get them,needless to say,it would make them some very expensive eggs!
    I am upping my fat in the form of coconut oil and cooking in ghee.
    I am still managing to get in plenty of calories but lots from fat..
    Does anyone think fat can make up for protein?

What are your goals?

If trying to lose weight and maintain muscle mass... no, not at all. Fat will not help you there. Shoot for about at least 1g protein per lb bodyweight (or lean body mass, should you know it) - protein is very, very important when it comes to preserving muscle during a cut/dropping weight.

I think (don't quote me n this) that protein powders are allowed on a Whole30 for vegetarians - whilst no, you're not vegetarian, you do seem to be in the same situation as one, ie, not ale to eat meat. Maybe look into that?
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    What are your goals? right now the main thing is to get my severe digestive issues under control

If trying to lose weight and maintain muscle mass... no, not at all. Fat will not help you there. Shoot for about at least 1g protein per lb bodyweight (or lean body mass, should you know it) - protein is very, very important when it comes to preserving muscle during a cut/dropping weight.

I may be able to get enough protein but will have to play around with the calories to do so.

I think (don't quote me n this) that protein powders are allowed on a Whole30 for vegetarians - whilst no, you're not vegetarian, you do seem to be in the same situation as one, ie, not ale to eat meat. Maybe look into that?

not so sure on the protein powders as it's not possible for me to get them without a sweetener of some sort,thinking I am just going to have to eat more fish then I am now and more eggs.
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    OP, if you haven't already done so, perhaps you should look into the GAPS protocol, get your gut healed....then see where you're at with the digestive issues. I recall listening to an interview with a doctor (I think it might have been Chris Kresser) discussing people presenting with difficulties digesting meat, and that this was an issue of gut health. I believe he said he treated them with the GAPS diet and courses of pre and probiotics, etc.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    OP, if you haven't already done so, perhaps you should look into the GAPS protocol, get your gut healed....then see where you're at with the digestive issues. I recall listening to an interview with a doctor (I think it might have been Chris Kresser) discussing people presenting with difficulties digesting meat, and that this was an issue of gut health. I believe he said he treated them with the GAPS diet and courses of pre and probiotics, etc.
    I have looked into gaps.I believe I have leaky gut syndrome from anti inflammatories.I have to go for an endoscopy in April and feel the need to really rest my digestion.
    I have fermented vegetables for natural probiotics,eating lots of greenery as well as good fats and protein.My protein is about 30 grams under at the moment so I need to find a way to get that up..maybe canned fish,all the frozen fish here has multiple chemicals in it.
    Thanks for the ideas and will look into Chris Kresser
  • shelleycc
    shelleycc Posts: 49
    Options

I heard Chris Kresser interviewed on an early episode of "Balanced Bites" podcast, and it was uber-informative. He talked about his experience that a lot of digestive problems are due to low gastric acid (which sets you up for more problems farther downstream, including leaky intestines), and he recommends supplementation with hydrochloric acid and proteolytic enzymes. But please don't run to the store based only on what I just said here...check into it further. It seems that maybe looking for a way to help with digestion in the upper GI tract may be a valid route, instead of just eliminating all animal proteins (one of our major ancestral food groups).
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options

I heard Chris Kresser interviewed on an early episode of "Balanced Bites" podcast, and it was uber-informative. He talked about his experience that a lot of digestive problems are due to low gastric acid (which sets you up for more problems farther downstream, including leaky intestines), and he recommends supplementation with hydrochloric acid and proteolytic enzymes. But please don't run to the store based only on what I just said here...check into it further. It seems that maybe looking for a way to help with digestion in the upper GI tract may be a valid route, instead of just eliminating all animal proteins (one of our major ancestral food groups).
    Thanks for the info.I am not planning to eliminate meat forever(I was a veggie for 20 years,not going back there again),I am just giving myself a month and see how I feel.
    I will do some further research on Chris Kresser.I started to read some of his stuff yesterday.I have a problem with acid and sadly have been abusing antacids for a long time.Apparently this can create a more acidic environment.I am fighting my way through today without an antacid,suffering a bit but trying to get past it.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think you will be surprised what can happen to your digestive system after going solid paleo (even without meat) for a month.
    I was literally deathly allergic to milk products. the slightest bit of cheese would put me into convulsions of pain for 24 hours.

I also had chronic shoulder pain (and multiple other joint issues) - seasonal allergies - moderate adult acne - frequent digestive issues - high blood pressure and poor sleep.

I now can eat ice cream, cheese, whole milk etc (ironic that it isn't a staple in my diet now). But I do consider myself primal and include some dairy as a treat. (really good expensive cheese)

All the above conditions disappeared as well as several belts, pants - honestly most of my wardrobe.

Since you say you have leaky gut, I got money that says, once you get grains and other processed foods out of your system, you will heal. You will feel FANTASTIC. You will need some good protein and please don't eat soy ;) friends don't let friends eat soy - especially anything that Monsanto had something to do with.

(as a paleo nutritionist once said in a seminar - "I'm very sorry, but your protein really needs to have had a face and a soul to be a good protein")
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I am now at day 5 and have had little issues with digestion.I have stopped taking digestive enzymes,antacids and hoping I may be able to avoid the endoscopy I have scheduled for the end of next month.
    Eating fish has been fine for protein for me as I feel it's not making me feel as full as meat was.
    I will give it this month and see how I feel but maybe being a pescatarian works better for me,at least while I don't have access to good sources of meat.
    Btw,thanks for the soya comments,I would never be turning to soy ever.My vegetarian days are long gone.
    I am finding fermented vegetables have been a life saver this round of whole 30.Anyone suffering digestive issues,I highly recommend giving them a try.
    @mikeflymike,thanks for your response!
  • sugarcrystal8
    sugarcrystal8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also as well as GAP check into FODMAP foods. I've seen great results with patients with IBS and other digestive issues get great relief by eating low FODMAP foods and avoiding high FODMAP foods. http://ibs.about.com/od/ibsfood/a/The-FODMAP-Diet.htm
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Also as well as GAP check into FODMAP foods. I've seen great results with patients with IBS and other digestive issues get great relief by eating low FODMAP foods and avoiding high FODMAP foods. http://ibs.about.com/od/ibsfood/a/The-FODMAP-Diet.htm
    thanks for the link!