Deadlifts, dumbbells, back probs?

Options
Hey y'all!

Started about 3 weeks ago and need some advice! My gym if you would believe seems to be lacking a barbell, so I've just been using dumbbells for the deadlifts.

1. Is that ok? Should I be doing something differently then what the book outlines?
2. I've been getting some sore back feelings, I believe from the deadlifts. Does this mean I've got bad form? My guess is I need to lift with my knees? Although in the book it doesn't look like that? Or perhaps I'm lifting too much too quickly?

Let me know what ya think. Thanks!

Replies

• mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have read that a sore back means too much weight. I (using a barbell) kept my weight static for two workouts, and the next time I put it up there was no pain. Hope someone can help you out with the dumbbell part of the question.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Maybe some more experienced lifters can chime in, but I will tell you what little I know from what I've read. . Some people recommend just doing romanian deadlifts if you don't have access to the barbell. But many people will do regular deadlifts with the DBs. You might try setting the DBs on a low step or box. Most of us starting out don't have the flexibility to bend and squat that far down without compromising form and putting extra stress on the low back. Same goes for the barbell if you don't have the really big plates on it.
    When you lift, tighten your whole body, making sure your glutes, hamstrings and calves are firing. The DL does work your back, so your soreness could be normal DOMS. If it is actually painfull, you may be doing something wrong. http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-lower-back-pain-injury-technique/

Good luck!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a barbell either. Kinda sucks, huh? haha Anyway, I haven't had much issues other than I think deadlifts are a lot harder with dumbbells since, to me, it feels like the weight is harder to keep balanced?? Idk. I never even thought to do Romanian dead lifts with dumbbells and after watching a few videos on YouTube, I'm totally gonna try that! Def seems worth a shot!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I think it could be too much? I had to jump from 12.5 lbs to 20, so that definitely could be it! Thanks for the input!