Scales not working??

Options
Hi.

Ive been struggling with my weight since my teens. At my heaviest, I was 160 lbs. I joined MFP last year at a weight of 145lbs with the aim to lose those pesky few pounds and to feel comfortable and confident in my own body. I started spinning in march 2012 to get fitter and by july I was at 140lbs.

In October, I joined a gym to save money on the spinning classes (my gym is one of the only two gyms n the city that do classes free with membership) and to change up my exercise regimes. By this time, the scales seemed 'stuck' on 140lbs, even though I was still spinning.

By January, the scales were still 'stuck' on 140lbs but I had lost 2inches off my hips and waist since joining the gym, the three months previous. I decided to stick to MFP more rigidly than I had been to date, to increase the number of my exercise sessions per week and to monitor my progress by measurements as well as the scales.

Since January, I've lost another 2inches of my hips and waist, and down two dress sizes since this same time last year. In February, there it was...the first sign of movement in six months. I was down a pound!!

I feel sooooo much more comfortable and confident in my body now. I'm eating much healthier foods and more conscious of the size of my food portions. I now love exercising and planning healthier meals, things I didn't bother with before.

It can be so easy to start losing hope when the scales 'stop working' but it's important to remember why you started exercising/dieting in the first place. Don't stop. Once you get there, it will be worth all the hard work.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• xbloomerbrigade
    xbloomerbrigade Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    First off thanks for sharing your journey with us. I have seen in my reading and heard from other people that the closer you get to your proportionate weight the harder it is to shed those last few pounds. Kudos to you for not giving up and for noticing that there still were changes happening, even if the ''scale was stuck''. I have also heard of people that exercise a lot getting discouraged when they aren't losing ''weight'' but what was actually happening was they were gaining muscle and losing fat...and we have all heard again and again that muscle weighs more than fat. You look amazing and I am glad you were able to push through! Great story for us all to remember. Thanks.