Hydration During C25K / First 5K

Options
fitplease
fitplease Posts: 647 Member
Do you drink a sports drink or water before/during/after your run?

I am thinking that the longer the run, the more the need to skip the water and drink the sports drink (for electrolytes). For now, I've been drinking water before and after my run. (I'm on W5D2.)

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I generally just eat some carbs before I run, and keep a bottle of water in my truck for when I finish. Generally 5ks have a water/gatorade station at each mile. I generally dont' drink sports drinks because most of them are filled with sugars. I prefer GU energy shots if I need something other than water.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't drink sports drinks, but I do take water with me when I run. Even if I just have a sip or two, I like knowing I have the option. I either put a waterbottle at the treadmill, or I have a running water bottle for outside.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Water bottle at the treadmill. No point waiting until I keel over.

Mind you, I am only on week 1. So far I've only managed just over 3k with the vast majority of that fast walking. But managed two whole minutes of jogging after 10 x 15 second intervals.

Maybe when I'm capable of doing more, I'll need to drink less. As it is, I'll drink a good litre in 30-45 minutes. And then another doing the weights circuit.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have special hydration/calorie requirements for a 5k (or 30 minute) run. Just make sure you're reasonably hydrated beforehand.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have special hydration/calorie requirements for a 5k (or 30 minute) run. Just make sure you're reasonably hydrated beforehand.

^^^This. Drink maybe 8 oz. of water about a half hour before you run. Unless it is scorching hot out, hydration isn't going to be an issue for 5k (or 30 minute).