skinny fat anyone?

Options
So technically I am at a good weight (5"4 and 116 lbs)..my highest has been a 122 lbs so there was no major weight loss for loose skin... but I still have the tummy, the flabby upper arms...and my thighs and calves aren't toned neither...

What do you do from here? How much weights would you use for strength training? I'm trying Pilates for now and hoping eventually I'll see some progress...

would love advice from anyone who has been able to tackle this problem!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Find a weight heavy enough that you can do 12 reps where the last two reps are really difficult. That's what I did when I first started out. No one can tell you exactly how much weight to lift because we don't know how strong you are. Also some body parts are obviously stronger than others. Like if you can curl a ten pound dumbbell, you most likely can squat with 50lbs. Just estimating.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    Thanks for the tip :)
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Its kind of just trial and error. But its easy to be too easy on yourself, at least for me it is, so you have to be willing to push yourself. But just play with some different weights for different exercises. I like to lift heavy enough that i'm mildly sore the next day, but you dont want to lift so heavy that you have to sacrifice your form!
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    I was very similar to you, 5,2 and 110lbs. Managed to get down to 104 in about 6 weeks and have been doing body pump and body conditioning classes and am now starting the new rules of lifting for women. My body is so much more toned! The 'love handles' have disappeared and there is a huge difference in my hips and butt area. I try and eat well but have not cut anything out and will have treats too :) I do a little bit of cardio, some elliptical and the odd zumba class but I am focusing on toning at the moment!
  • TammyLHaley
    TammyLHaley Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Any sugestions on different kinds of snacks, or dinner ideas?? Whats for dinner??...makes me Ill.... I will do good all day and mess it all up with dinner... :cry:
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel the same! I'm looking to tone up; I'm a 5'2 at approximately 110 pounds but I really want to be lean, not skinny.

So far I've found trying new weight training exercises (simple ones like push ups, squats, curtsy squats and abdominal leg raises) has made me notice a difference in my over all fitness level but I suggest doing a bit of cardio to help melt off the extra fat. As you build more muscle I think the 'flab' will become tighter on your skin.

I hope that helps!
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love making soups!

You can always have a slice of bread and cheese or whatever on the side. Especially if your soups are vegetarian (Red Pepper Bisque is divine!) you don't have to worry about all of the nutrients being poured down the drain like when you boil vegetables in water.

Soups are also pretty filling, because they're liquids! They take up a lot of space and if you make that your main dish in your dinner entree then you won't focus as much on the sides (like rice or a meat).

That's just a suggestion though! Hope that helps :)
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try looking into Jamie Eason LiveFit program... It will help you get a routine and teach you what to lift... The program is designed to build muscle and become toned...