NROL4W and additional cardio?

Options
Just wondering what you gals do in terms of cardio to go with your lifting?
I know in the book it says to do minimal cardio and to focus on just mainly lifting but I feel like I want to do so much more!

Does anyone here do a considerable amount of both? Has this increased your results for weight loss and/or decreased your results of muscle definition?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I still did cardio when I started the program because I was teaching classes. I do quite a bit of cardio and lifting now, and I can tell you that I know it hinders my progress, but it helps me to achieve other goals.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My goal is more for definition than it is for weight loss. I am currently training for a half marathon so on non-lifting days I am running. Mid-week and Saturdays is no more than 3-4 miles and I have one weekend day for a long run. For now I am at a cut of TDEE but my goal is to eat back just about everything since I'm really ramping up workouts. If I am not liking what I am seeing in a couple of weeks I will increase to TDEE + what I burn.

I think it really depends on what your overall goals are. I knew going into this program that I wanted to train for a half although it isn't recommended. I have an overall "fit" goal. I might not get as cut with all of the cardio (because, yeah, it is counterproductive) but again, I want an overall fit.. not weight loss, etc. etc.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I enjoy a swim - nothing too strenuous - but will that stop my muscles resting fully on non lifting days? I just do maybe 12 lengths breast stroke in the 'slow' lane.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    laccy, I'm no expert but I actually like to move my muscles around on a "rest" day to help with DOMS. So, I don't see an issue with it. If you find that you aren't making the progress you want or you feel burnt out, I'd switch to a complete rest day.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks, I'm having a no swim week this week as I have lots on at work and lifting 3 times will be enough, but I'll build it in again next week and see how I feel.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I do some additional HIIT when I want to eat more.:laugh: But thats usually only one day a week.
    Mostly I just keep moving(walking, cleaning, chasing the kids, etc) on my rest days. Sometimes I'll do a little yoga.