Lifitng Program Critique

Hey knowledgable MFPers! I am trying to come up with a routine that will work best for me and my needs right now. I have been running SL5x5 since the end of October and am getting to a point where I feel like I am alway injured or burned out. Anyways, I like lifting and don't want to give that up so I am trying to develop a full body program that eases up on the weight every so often.

Right now my goals are maintain and develop strength increases (don't want to lose what I've worked up to) and a little hypertrophy. I have been eating at surplus for 6 or 7 weeks now and dropped cardio for the time being.

The workout is a full body, done three times a week with A & B alterating. Feel free to tear it apart...if it sucks, I will probably just fall back on 5/3/1.

Thanks!

Three times a week / Full Body, Alternating A nd B for a four week cycle. Thought process in parethesis.

Week 1 (Light Week)

Workout A:

Romanian Deadlift (posterior chain) 3x8

DB OHP (shoulders/core) 3x8

Pendlay Row (back) 3x8

Push ups (chest) 3x12

Prone Jack-Knife (core) 3x12

Workout B:

BB Squat (posterior chain) 3x8

Clean and Press (shoulders/core) 3x8

Bench Press (chest) 3x8

Lat Pull-Downs (back) 3x8

Hanging Leg Raises (core) 3x12

Week 2 (Medium Week) 3x6 on lifts, 3x10 on Body Weight Exercises

Week 3 (Heavy Week) 3x3 on lifts, 3x8 on Body Weight Exercises

Week 4 (Light(er) Week) 3x10 for all exercises

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I have been running SL5x5 since the end of October and am getting to a point where I feel like I am alway injured or burned out

Did you take any de-load weeks or time off?
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    I took a few days off in November (5?) and some three or four day breaks the last month or two do to injuries/joint pain.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I dont think there's anything wrong with switching programs if you are certain that you're just really getting bored with what you're doing.

If it's strictly an injury related thing, I would consider taking a week off.

EDIT: If you think a specific lift is aggravating your joints then I can understand wanting to move away from it but do you know the cause at this point?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Hey Vette....sucks you are not feeling SL right now :frown:

I just finished my first cycle last week and I did take a de-load week and that was on top of the exercise break that I took in the middle of January. I just started cycle 2 today and am using my deload weight as my starting weight. Do you think that something like that might help? or are you just sick of the whole program?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I dont think there's anything wrong with switching programs if you are certain that you're just really getting bored with what you're doing.

If it's strictly an injury related thing, I would consider taking a week off.

This.

As far as a specific lift or lifts causing problems, figure out what you're doing wrong so you can continue.

I really enjoyed my time on 5/3/1 and made great progress without having to overthink things.
  • tdeprat
    tdeprat Posts: 15
    The workout is a full body, done three times a week with A & B alterating.

It feels like you won't have enough recovery time (especially since you've been injured). I guess it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to get to specific strength goals or trying for general improved wellness?

For me, 5/3/1 makes it really easy and I don't feel like I am over working any specific body part. Actually I run it on a 3 day schedule too. Workouts take me about 30-45 minutes and so far I think I am making decent progressing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Hey knowledgable MFPers! I am trying to come up with a routine that will work best for me and my needs right now. I have been running SL5x5 since the end of October and am getting to a point where I feel like I am alway injured or burned out.

Are you still trying to do 5x5? If so, maybe you could move down to the same workouts, but at 3x5 - easing your total load a bit, while still allowing you to progress. That's actually what is recommended to do.

In addition, if you go to the SL site, there are links to Intermediate programs such as Madcow. This program - if you download the spreadsheet, as opposed to exactly how Mehdi suggests - looks like it might fit your needs.

http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/