Is c25kand strength training doable?

Options
FUELERDUDE
FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
I am starting week 4 of my c25k and dr cleared me to go ahead with strength training this past week. I am curious as to whether or not I will need to put the c25k kind of on the back burner so I can put a little more into the strength training. I want to, at the least try to maintain muscle mass. I have gained in my legs already due to the amount of walking/jogging I have been doing but feel my arms are getting smaller. I don't want that, I want a lean and somewhat muscular stature.

Thank you in advance for any help and apploligize in advance for any lack of clarity/confusion in how I posted.

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In to see the response as I'm doing something similar. I have been eating enough to offset the calories burned during cardio and only do a light warm up cardio before my lifting routine, saving heavier cardio for rest days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can do both. You may need to play around with the program a bit.

What is your training routine for the C25K?

Are you flexible as to when you lift?
  • FUELERDUDE
    Options
    I am somewhat flexible as to when I can lift. Days are very flexible, but times.....I'd rather do both at same time as i don't want to drive an exra 20 miles a day.

In regards to the c25k, I am where I am jogging 5 minutes, walking 4 minutes now. When I walk, it's at a 4.1 mph pace, and when I jog, it's 6.0-6.3 mph pace. The plan calls for roughly half an hour of this (depends on the day, some more/some less).

I was planning on doing the cardio after lifting.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I started lifting again and doing C25K at the same time, all in a deficit. I'm now about to move on to working on 10K. My lifting hasn't suffered, but I only run 2 days a week, and lift 3 days (usually).
  • FUELERDUDE
    Options
    What kind of improvements were you able to see in cardio with this regimen?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My husband did both as well and he started strength training at around the same time you would be (week 5?) and since he did a proper program for beginners, the first few weeks were really just learning form and building weights up from something very light, so you shouldn't have many issues with the overlap until much later, like say 8 weeks from now if you are still running and trying to increase mileage AND your weights are building up to relatively heavy (for you) numbers, you might need to make an adjustment.