Breezed through the first 4 weeks, stuck at week 5

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

Yeah, I ran two days in a row regularly because my schedule was more about what I could do than what was optimal. I don't *recommend* it to anybody - the rest days are there for a reason - but I got through the program just fine.

However, whether you do it today or not, you'll be fabulous when you do.
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Weeee heee! I did it!!! LOL it wasn't perfect...... I did good and I was feeling mostly fine but around 8 minutes my heart rate was pretty high so I decided to stay there till 10 mins and if I haven't pushed through it I'd lower my speed. ... I kept repeating to myself, "It's a mental hurdle. It's a mental hurdle. It's a mental hurdle."

Well, at the 10 minute mark I decided it wasn't all mental and I should lower my speed. Which I did. and then as my heart rate was starting to come down to a comfortable level again and I thought to myself, "I got this." I accidentally hit the stop button and shut the treadmill off altogether.

Took me probably less than a minute to get it started again, but it seemed like forever since I was trying to run 20 mins without stopping, wasn't I? *ugh* plus I lost all the stats the treadmill was keeping track of for me.

But I started the thing again and got it back up to speed and carried on and finished. I have no idea the distance or the avg speed but whatever. I mean, I just freakin' ran 20 minutes.

Me.

Me.

A few weeks ago I didn't even know if I could run.

Thanks everyone here who's helped me have faith in the program and given me the good advice to slow down when I got stuck. I feel like I might be a an actual person who runs 5Ks one day if I just keep doing what this program tells me to do!!

So here's my tips that I'll pass on...

Choose music to listen to that's the right speed :) I struggled in the part of the workout the slow song came on my mp3 player.

There are free online yoga classes at DoYogaWithMe.com that will stretch your legs out real good.
    http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/deep-release-hips-hamstrings-and-lower-back

Also I got a foam roller to massage and release muscle knots. Really good investment. I roll around on it while I watch TV.

I googled how to breathe in the first week. In through mouth and nose, out through mouth, exhale completely. Helped immensely.

And ask lots of questions here cause these people in the group are pretty helpful and supportive!

That's all I've got so far :) Thanks everyone!! I think I really want to actually do a real 5K one day. I started this program not really believing signing up for one like they encourage you to do would be a very smart thing to do!! Now I'm considering it.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I mean, I just freakin' ran 20 minutes.

Me.

Me.

Yes. You. Congrats! It is incredible, really is. Nice work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have tears in my eyes! What a great accomplishment. I'm so happy for you.

I completely get you about the play list. I'm always adding new stuff and deleting songs that just don't work. You'd think that Cindy Lauper's She Bop would be a great song to run to. Not. And it goes on FOREVER. I've found that songs at about 160 BPM get me where I need to be. Jog.com has a great list of suggestions.
  • ryanmross
    Options
    Congrats! :)