Excess skin?

Options
How many had alot of excess skin after losing your weight? and did your skin bounce back? and is there anything to really help? I'll be having my surgery within the next 6 months just wanted to know

Replies

• arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    yes, most have excess skin. I had mine removed from my stomach as it hung like an apron. Actually, I had that done BEFORE I lost weight as I was HUGE HUGE HUGE with my second son. I mean, I could not fit behind a steering wheel or stand straight huge. I gained 60lbs with him and lost 45 the day after he was born. I had a LOT of excess water! I still have excess skin on my thigh/hip area. I am not going to have it removed, I am trying to tone up as much as possible cuz a thigh tuck does not look very fun and is $$$$$.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90lbs to date - and yes i have saggy skin. I am hoping that strength training and time will help tighten up the arms and the knees :wink: .

I know lots of MFP's that have had their excess skin removed...
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    yes, most have excess skin. I had mine removed from my stomach as it hung like an apron. Actually, I had that done BEFORE I lost weight as I was HUGE HUGE HUGE with my second son. I mean, I could not fit behind a steering wheel or stand straight huge. I gained 60lbs with him and lost 45 the day after he was born. I had a LOT of excess water! I still have excess skin on my thigh/hip area. I am not going to have it removed, I am trying to tone up as much as possible cuz a thigh tuck does not look very fun and is $$$$$.

How much does it cost to have removed? I gained a lot during my pregnancies and my belly is already funky since I had 3 csections.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    yup...looking like a melting candle here :tongue: It's ok though...what doesnt snap back I will just save my pennies and have it removed!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So far, my arms resemble bat wings to a degree and my oldest son tells me I'll "take flight" before too long! As for the stomach area, I have had 6 abdominal surgeries, so I am not sure if there is much fix for that. ???? Not too worried there because I didn't have a bikini body even when I was a teen and a size 5. lol I probably won't have any skin removed--my top weight was 246 at 5'5" tall, so maybe some of it will bounce back at least a little bit. As for pregnancies, I totally get the gain. I was 125 before each of my sons were born (I have 3) and gained a lot with each one. With my youngest I topped the scales at 220 when he was born, so I gained 95 pounds, also 45 of it being fluid. Lost it all within six months. I couldn't walk, no way could fit behind the steering wheel even with the seat all the way back (couldn't reach the gas pedal either!) and couldn't get up without help. They told me he would be 13 pounds and was 9 lbs. 4 oz. Thank God for C-sections!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Not really and I've lost quite a bit in a short amount of time. Keep in mind that the reason I've lost so much so quickly is because I work out frequently and between cardio and pilates, I really feel as that has helped with excess skin. I still have some saggy areas. I'll never wear short shorts or a bikini, but I'm perfectly fine with that and I look damn good in jeans! :tongue:
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my skin seems to be trying to tighten. (I'll be a year out in May and am still losing slowly) I have lost a size without losing any weight this month so I can only attribute that to the skin shrinking. I have lost about what your ticker says is your goal and while it's not the pretty skin of my youth when I'm naked, it looks pretty good in clothes, and I think there isn't that much to fix if a tummy tuck is part of my future. I have some sag on my hips and I have wings but again nothing that is all that noticable unless I want it to be.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am 2.5 years out.....I work out and tone every day. There is NO cure for loose skin but surgery! I saw the plastic surgeon in December he said my loose thigh and behind are a lost cause, I can work to tone them up but it will not make a difference. He said It is what it is. Thigh lifts are very costly and most people are not pleased with the results vs the cost and physical pain involved. I was approved for my loose skin removal from my abdomen. My insurance company is going to cover it. Any other options I pay. I wanted to have a breast lift, all mine do now, is sag to my arm pits like deflated balloons, no shape or firmness. To have my breasts done at the same time as my abdomen only 8,900.00.

Fully dressed you would never know what I have hiding underneath!!! I look like a Sharpe' dog. When I am lying on my back I look like a melted candle. In the bath tub my loose skin floats to the top and just looks so nasty!

If you are genuinely serious message me with your email and I will share some loose skin pics, for educational purposes. There is nothing sexy with having the skin of a 90 year old woman!!!!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Nothing can be done to prevent it. I'd say at least 80% of us have enough to warrant plastic surgery. Many learn to live with it or accept it, but that was not the case with me. Mentally it screwed me up. I had to get it removed. Best money ever spent.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Since loosing 1/2 of me, 135 pounds I have loose skin-bat wings, loose skin in tummy area, droopy skin in upper thighs, shar pei butt and my boobs look deflated. My insurance will not pay for any type of plastics so I will have to pay myself. I have worked out and exercised all through this WLS journey but it will only do so much for someone who is 49 years old and been obese there entire life. I can see muscle definitinon from using the weight machines at the gym but the loose skin is still there.
    I didn't think pre op it would bother me, the loose skin but now 9 months post op and loosing 135 pounds and almost at my personal weight goal of 130 it does.
    I will look into plastics after my year post op has passed. Most surgeons want you to wait 12-18 months after WLS to have any plastics done.
  • jujuskilesm
    jujuskilesm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had surgery over Christmas and am down 58# ! My skin is hanging already. I see surgery in my future, at least for my arms.... but my face and neck are not too bad, and I am in my 40's. Good luck, don't let saggy skin keep you from doing this. It is life changing for the positive!!! AND they make great cami's that are snug to keep the giggles hidden! =) Good Luck....
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    I am starting to feel like a Shar Pei. I am 137lbs down (14 months post op) and the skin on my upper arms, thighs and stomach is insane. The excess skin is giving me horrendous lower back pain as well as skin infections - its lovely :grumble:

I know my insurance will pay for removal to my stomach area only, so I guess I am going to have to sort out the rest. They say to wait 4+ months once you get to your goal weight, which I am still 60lbs from.

One of my close friends just had her plastic surgery (she is 4 years post op) and they removed 27lbs of skin :noway:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't think my insurance would pay for skin removal--at any rate, I am 25 pounds away from goal at 5 months out and don't see a tremendous amount of excess skin. Maybe will have a little, but nothing I can't live with. And nothing I wouldn't expect at 44 years old. Please, no more surgeries here. Have had 6, so that's enough in my book!