Static lunge v Bulgarian Split Squat ???

Options
lazyjane75
lazyjane75 Posts: 34 Member
Hi ladies - just started Stage 2 and my first B workout is Friday. I'm a little confused, though. In reading the descriptions in the book for the static lunge and the bulgarian split squat, they appear to be exactly the same. What am I missing here? TIA! Also, for both moves, am I correct that you end each rep with your legs still "split", not with your feet back together? Is that also the case for the reverse lunge?

Replies

• beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the difference is in how you place your back foot. The static is with your toe on the bench and with Bulgarian you place the top of your foot flat on the bench. I could be way wrong though as I just started stage 2 as well)
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Static lunge: you are on the ball of your foot for the foot that is back.

Bulgarian Split Squat: foot is flat, as in, your laces should be on the bench

Also, your legs stay split, they never come together during the split squat and static lunge. One set is 10 reps on one side, and then 10 reps on the other.

For the reverse lunge, one rep is from standing....lunge... back to standing. Do this 10 times for 1 leg and 10 times for the other to have a complete set.

(At least that is my understanding)
  • lazyjane75
    lazyjane75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Got it. Thanks!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Good explanation LB2LL. I agree w beck, too.

It is interesting how they are basically the same move...I find BSS much harder.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks, getting ready to start stage 2
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Good explanation LB2LL. I agree w beck, too.

It is interesting how they are basically the same move...I find BSS much harder.

I think it's harder as well. Without your toes to help balance you makes a big difference!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    And isn't one of them from a lower step? I think the split squat? While the BSS is from a high bench?

Be careful with the BSS - it's how I pulled my adductor muscle a few weeks ago:)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    And isn't one of them from a lower step? I think the split squat? While the BSS is from a high bench?

Be careful with the BSS - it's how I pulled my adductor muscle a few weeks ago:)
    Yes, this is correct.