Introduce yourself!

Options
pandorakick
pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
Hi there! I started my journey here on MFP in August 2012 and got a taste of lifting with doing ChaLean Extreme. Last week I finally finished my last workout of CLX and I´m now itching to start some real heavy lifting.

I've seen both Stronglifts 5x5 and All Pro's beginners routine recommended for people wanting to start weight lifting. In my particular case there is an extra challenge in the need to adept the excercises to the dumbbell equivalents. This because I don't have the room for a barbell and prefer working out at home over going to the gym. After much reading I finally made the choice for All Pro's. Did my 10rm test and just finished my first week.

I´m looking forward to share experiences with other people doing (or planning to do) All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine!

Replies

• healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heidi and I've been here every day since July 11th when I realized I was way bigger than I thought I was. I started with running and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (on rainy days). Then I heard about Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, cardio and some strength training. I was gifted it for my 35th birthday by my awesome hubby. I started in September and finished in December. I had great results and really enjoyed the strength training component so I decided to do Chalean Extreme. I started mid-December and technically finished last week. Measurements to come.

I really enjoy strength training but I'm not excited about joining a gym. I've been a member before and never went. I am much better at home in comfort and privacy of my basement. I'm hoping this program will allow me to get to the next level for strength training. I will be starting March 18th in conjunction with my training for a 10 mile race in April.

I'll be here to encourage group members and offer my 'uneducated' opinion on things. =)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hello hello!

I've been using MFP since January 2012, religiously so since this January; I've lost 34 lbs altogether. I started off with a bit of running, then more running, then added Turbo Fire this summer (which I love) and then added some Insanity workouts into my rotation this year. These last two changes to my workouts have really positively affected my fitness and I started to see more significant changes in my overall body shape.

My weight seems low to me now (I'm 136ish at 5'9", though certainly not looking underweight at all) and I'm really most interested in losing body fat, reshaping and most importantly gaining strength. I'm jealous and in awe of people who are lifting hundreds of pounds and want to say I can do it too. I've been interested in weights for some time and the All Pro workout was suggested to me as a good place to start.

I've just started my second week of the AP program and I'm really loving it so far! I am doing it at home, with dumbbells for now (until I need heavier weights and/or can afford to buy some plates for the bar I have). I took measurements just before starting, and will wait until the end of this first 5 week rotation to repeat them, but honestly I feel like I'm already seeing improvements! In addition to 3x/week of lifting, I do HIIT workouts twice a week, one 5ish km run (just to maintain my base), some core stuff on cardio days, and I'm also on my 6th week of a 100 pushup challenge (doing modified/knee pushups), which I plan to complete and then move on to proper toe-pushups (I do pushups on cardio days too).

Nice to meet you and can't wait to learn from you!

I'd be interested to see a thread that has the loads/weights people are using (partly out of morbid curiosity I guess??) Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and post one!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    I'd be interested to see a thread that has the loads/weights people are using (partly out of morbid curiosity I guess??) Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and post one!
    Please do! :flowerforyou:
  • chipsandegg
    Options
    Hi Pandorakick

I've just joined a gym and am waiting for my induction visit!
    I am totally new to gyms!
    I planned to go twice a week, but I've read your beginners routine and I will try for3
    I have printed off the regime and will take it to the induction!

Thanks -it will hopefully give me a place to start!

chipsandegg
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hi Pandorakick

I've just joined a gym and am waiting for my induction visit!
    I am totally new to gyms!
    I planned to go twice a week, but I've read your beginners routine and I will try for3
    I have printed off the regime and will take it to the induction!

Thanks -it will hopefully give me a place to start!

chipsandegg
    You're welcome! When you have your introduction visit, see if there is somebody available to walk you through the various exercises in the routine and give feedback on your form. I did 2 sessions with a personal trainer at a local gym recently for this very reason. He gave me very good feedback to get my form right and not injure myself when the weights get heavier.
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Good evening,
    I'm Jeanette. Used to lift weight many year ago. I have a question? Can this program work with rubber bands?
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Good evening,
    I'm Jeanette. Used to lift weight many year ago. I have a question? Can this program work with rubber bands?
    Hello Jeanette. At first look I would say that while this routine can be modified to use dumbbells, adapting it to use resistance bands would be a stretch. (Yes, pun intended.)

That said, I just finished ChaLean Extreme and in that program there always was a lady using resistance bands instead of weights for the various lifts. Mind, it is certainly not how All Pro's routine was intended and it would make upward progression of the weights used rather hard. But I guess that for starters you could adept the various exercises to use bands.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Well after falling off the wagon with a thump in November I am back in the game. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 which I loved but found the continual progression of weight a struggle, particularly in the upper body lifts (OHP truly sucked.)

Anyway I’m returning to lifting and eating well and have done a bit more research into my goals. SL and SS are focused on strength and for me that’s not necessarily the goal. I want to re-shape my body and for that I need a system more based around hypertrophy. And so here I am. Have read pretty much everything there is to read about All Pro over on bb.com but lie the relaxed vibe over here on MFP so thought I’d look to see if there was a group. And there is. And so hi

I do my 10RM test tomorrow and then starting in earnest on Monday. I’m really looking forward to it.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hello there! I'm having a lot of fun with this program, starting my second cycle tomorrow! Great that you're joining in :flowerforyou:
    This group is still rather small, but will hopefully get some more traffic in the future.

Are you going to do the routine from a gym with barbells like it's written? I really dislike going out to exercise so I'm doing it from home using dumbbells.

Anyway, have a good 10RM test tomorrow and see you around!
  • kdroppo
    kdroppo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been on MFP since January 2013. I have lost 18 pounds so far and I am looking to loose another 12 or so more. I have been doing lots and lots of cardio (Turbo Fire). I plan on starting All Pro beginner weight lifting routine starting on Tuesday. While I still hope to loose the extra pounds I also want to start adding muscle to my frame. If any of you have suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate the help and encouragement. :smile:
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been on MFP since January 2013. I have lost 18 pounds so far and I am looking to loose another 12 or so more. I have been doing lots and lots of cardio (Turbo Fire). I plan on starting All Pro beginner weight lifting routine starting on Tuesday. While I still hope to loose the extra pounds I also want to start adding muscle to my frame. If any of you have suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate the help and encouragement. :smile:
    Hello and welcome to the group! Good for you, already losing 18 pounds.

Did you already do your 10 RM test? If you want, you could post your starting stats in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/916491-ok-let-s-see-your-stats

I'm about 1 cycle ahead of you and did the first day of cycle 2 yesterday. I'm having lots of fun with this routine. It's very empowering to me to be able to lift heavier and heavier :happy:
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to see you around.
  • kdroppo
    kdroppo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the 10RM test is. My partner has set this routine up for me. I just finished my first day and I would have to say so far so good. It is challenging and fun. I think I will keep it up although my arms are fatigued right now.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Not sure what the 10RM test is. My partner has set this routine up for me. I just finished my first day and I would have to say so far so good. It is challenging and fun. I think I will keep it up although my arms are fatigued right now.
    The 10 RM or 10 rep max test is a way to determine your starting weights for this routine. You wouldn't want to start too heavy or too light.

To determine your 10 rep max for each exercise it is explained in the FAQ with this routine (which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine), to go to the gym one day (at least 2 days before starting the routine), and perform one set of each exercise until failure (as many reps as you can do with good form). Try and pick a weight that will bring you to failure at around 10 reps (for a more accurate calculation). Take note of the weight you used and how many reps took you to failure and then plug them in to this calculator (http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator), this will give you your 10 rep max (your weights cycle 1). 

Alternatively, you can use the spreadsheet that can be found here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137203123&p=848646813&viewfull=1#post848646813 
    This spreadsheet also gives an overview on how much you should lift for each day (heavy, medium, light), and for each warm-up for the 1st three exercises.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I can't tell you how excited I am that this group is here!!

I had been planning on starting AP after I lost some weight, but could not find any women that were doing this program. I'm 5'10 and hope to lose 10 more pounds. I looked into NROLFW, but honestly, was not too impressed with most of the progress I saw (esp under 6 mo). So I thought I would do my own before/after with this program.

I've been into the 1st cycle about a week and a half and found it super hard. Then realized I had done a 1 rep max test instead of a 10!! DOH! :noway: So over the weekend I will re-do the test and start properly Monday (4/15/13). I was concerned that gains would be slow and the first few weeks too easy. I'm glad to see it gets challenging faster than I thought. Look forward to see the outcome and will update soon.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I can't tell you how excited I am that this group is here!!

I had been planning on starting AP after I lost some weight, but could not find any women that were doing this program. I'm 5'10 and hope to lose 10 more pounds. I looked into NROLFW, but honestly, was not too impressed with most of the progress I saw (esp under 6 mo). So I thought I would do my own before/after with this program.

I've been into the 1st cycle about a week and a half and found it super hard. Then realized I had done a 1 rep max test instead of a 10!! DOH! :noway: So over the weekend I will re-do the test and start properly Monday (4/15/13). I was concerned that gains would be slow and the first few weeks too easy. I'm glad to see it gets challenging faster than I thought. Look forward to see the outcome and will update soon.
    Welcome! I'm very glad you found your way to this group, I also found it very difficult to find people on MFP that were going to do AP.

Using your 1RM I can imagine that your first week was very hard! I'm looking forward to hear how your first 10 RM based week will go. Please keep us posted and have fun! :happy:
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been on MFP on and off for some time now. I logged - then didn't log - and a bunch of injuries kept me from immersing myself in a good workout right through the last year or so. I recently started NROL4W - finished Stage1, and changed my diet macros after reading Sara's posts. I just heard about AllPro when I read a thread displaying cmeirun's awesome back :flowerforyou:
    and messaged her for more details. She told me about this group and I was very pleased to find so many enthusiasts.

I read through some 11 pages of the AllPro thread and kept jotting down points - if I had known there was a group I could've spared myself that! But it was a good for learning, I guess. I look forward to reading the threads here and catching up with all of you.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Welcome! Don't hesitate to post threads if there are subjects you would like to discuss :happy:
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sara recommended I begin with All Pro and sent me here for support. I am anxious to get started but my calves are very sore at the moment. I assume I should wait until they feel better before doing the 10 rep max test... I did not hurt them lifting...we were on a cruise and used to steps every time to somewhat offset all the calories we were consuming. Then the day after I got off the ship, Friday, I did the Power 90 sweat dvd and ouch! My already a little sore calves have been screaming every since! :/ Hopefully they will feel better tomorrow.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Triple post!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Jimmer and I've been doing AP since January, and have just done my C5W5 Heavy day. It was a beast.....

I had no idea that there was a group on MFP for the routine, so was delighted to stumble across it by accident!

I've currently got a trapped nevre in my left foot - so have dropped the calf raises for a cycle to see if it helped - sadly, it didn't! I'll probably add them back in for Cycle 6, but am unsure whether to go back to my Cycle 4 finishing weight, knock it back a bit, or just whack on the 10% increase and see how I go.... I've got another week to suss it out!

For Cycle 5 I added in something new: a weighted chin up/dip superset. It's amazing how just adding one exercise and dropping another changes the whole routine massively. It's so well balanced to start with that too much tinkering can ruin something perfect!

Anyway, that's pretty much it for now, just wanted to say that if you're just starting out, stick with it and make sure you eat enough to fuel the workouts. Too much of a calorie deficit will leave you feeling pretty beaten up on this type of routine!