I think I am doing the lunges wrong.. worried about injury

beejelblor
beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
So... I have never done lunges before and Jillian is very adamant about doing them right otherwise it is bad for your knees and ankles. When I do the side lunges I feel like I have to very awkwardly stick my butt far back to avoid my knee going over my ankle but then my chest goes far forward, and for the front lunge I have to put my back leg really far back where I almost loose my balance to avoid my knee going over my foot. (this visual is bad haha)

Any words of wisdom or suggestions to help me figure out if I am doing them right or if I am risking injury or even just not getting the full benefit of the workout???

Replies

• Hiskhaleesi
    Hiskhaleesi Posts: 53 Member
    That sounds about right
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Just a couple of suggestions... First, is there somewhere in your house that you can do the lunges in front of a mirror? It might help you to see your form, as opposed to just feeling how you're doing the moves. For the lunges, initially, it's difficult to gauge how far apart to space your feet and how to move initially. Again, a mirror might help in the beginning. Also, your balance will increase as you do more lunges. Also, try to focus on moving up and down, as opposed to lunging forward. But more than anything else, a mirror is probably the best way to start. Once you've done enough of them, your body will form muscle memory and it will come to you more easily. In the beginning, try to do the modified moves, where your range of motion is smaller too. Even if you can do the more difficult moves, you may find it's easier to learn the form that way. I hope this helps a little bit! Oh, and if your balance is an issue in the beginning, place a chair next to you for the straight lunges and hold on for a bit and forgo the weights until you're confident that your balance has improved and you can do them without the chair. No getting hurt, we don't want that :)
  • kcdoglover
    kcdoglover Posts: 8 Member
    Excellent suggestions, Amber! When I workout, I have mirrors in front and on the side of me; and I really focus on my form at all times. Try putting your hands on your hips, and keeping your back upright (like Amber said, moving up and down). If there is someone else in the house, ask them to watch you maybe? [Love the chair idea to help with balance.] Good luck!
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    last night i realized that i had been leading with my front leg for the lunges and when i began leading with my back leg bending it the form was a lot more natural and felt like i was doing something right.. still need to work on the side lunges getting my butt out and my knee back. thanks so much for all the suggestions, i am looking into getting a mirror in the room which i think will help a lot!