Bridesmaids Gifts

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
What is everyone doing for their bridesmaids gifts?

I'm planning on making "bridesmaid survival kits" with everything they could possibly need, along with some extras like nice flip-flops for the reception if they're tired of heels, and possibly a simple clutch. For the "survival" part, I'm getting pocket pack tissues and travel-sized band-aids, lotion, mints, gum, Advil, tampons (hey, you never know!), nail clipper, water, granola bars, bobby pins, comb, hairspray, floss, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head. I'll order bridesmaid tote bags to put it all in, and tie ribbons (in our colors) around each item to prettify them and hold them together. I'm getting lots of these things out of dollar bins or at the 99 cent store, so I figure I should be able to do each for less than $30 each and I can buy the items bit by bit over time so it won't even need to come from the wedding budget. I'm thinking of giving them the gifts at the bachelorette party (is that normal?)

I got the idea from this: http://joyisathome.blogspot.com/2011/04/bridesmaids-or-brides-survival-kit.html

And I'll add a cute little poem, based on this one I found online: http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/fun-bridesmaids-survival-kit-poem/be23ca9210c9da3a.html

Replies

• OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I believe that the rehearsal dinner is the normal time for the gift-giving from the bride and groom to the groomsmen and bridesmaids. I could be wrong, but that is when we are going to do it. As for what I'm going to give them, no clue. my fiance is wanting to get personalized flasks to his groomsmen. I would love to do the same thing, but only 2 of my bridesmaids love to drink, one of them will only be 18 so I don't think it's appropriate, and the other one doesn't ever drink. I may end up giving 2 of them to the 2 that do, and find something else for the other two, but I'm not completely sure yet.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Cool, good to know about the rehearsal dinner- that does make sense. I'll probably have to do it earlier since by that time, they'll already have all their stuff with them (we're staying at a hotel together that night, assuming the rehearsal is the night before the wedding). I'm hoping to help them avoid needing to pack all that stuff. My fiance hasn't even thought about it yet, lol!

The flask idea is really fun but I can see the predicament! I wonder if you could do personalized travel coffee mugs or water bottles or something for the others, and you could fill them with mini coffee bags or candy or something. Just a thought :smile:
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My gift to my girls is their dresses :) I will probably get them something else, leaning toward a monogramed white button down shirt to wear the day of the wedding, but their main gift is the bridesmaids dress :) My fiance is giving flasks and super hero cuff clinks :)
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Wow, that's really nice of you to buy their dresses! What an awesome gift! Love the super-hero cuff links too, lol!
  • abrewer563
    abrewer563 Posts: 122
    Options
    I think I'm going to order them personalized wine glasses with "Bridesmaid" on them, their name and our wedding date to use at the ceremony. I'll probably include a bottle of wine with each of them too. For the groomsmen we'll probably get them something similar and make them little boxes with jack daniels mini bottles and coke :)

ETA: 2 of my bridesmaid are my little sisters who can't drink, so I'll have to come up with an alternative for them. :)
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    What is everyone doing for their bridesmaids gifts?

I'm planning on making "bridesmaid survival kits" with everything they could possibly need, along with some extras like nice flip-flops for the reception if they're tired of heels, and possibly a simple clutch. For the "survival" part, I'm getting pocket pack tissues and travel-sized band-aids, lotion, mints, gum, Advil, tampons (hey, you never know!), nail clipper, water, granola bars, bobby pins, comb, hairspray, floss, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head. I'll order bridesmaid tote bags to put it all in, and tie ribbons (in our colors) around each item to prettify them and hold them together. I'm getting lots of these things out of dollar bins or at the 99 cent store, so I figure I should be able to do each for less than $30 each and I can buy the items bit by bit over time so it won't even need to come from the wedding budget. I'm thinking of giving them the gifts at the bachelorette party (is that normal?)

I got the idea from this: http://joyisathome.blogspot.com/2011/04/bridesmaids-or-brides-survival-kit.html

And I'll add a cute little poem, based on this one I found online: http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/fun-bridesmaids-survival-kit-poem/be23ca9210c9da3a.html

Cool ideas! I'm doing aqua blue parasols for the wedding itself and a spa treatment of their choice (my Maid of Honor asked that I donate the equivalent $$ to a cat charity instead).
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm doing LLBean monogrammed tote bags with a bottle of wine inside. :) Hopefully the bags will be something they can enjoy and use for years to come!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I did totes with their names embroidered for my first week. Got them off ebay.

This time, I'm doing a tumbler with a lid and straw with their names on them. I found them at Kohl's and they are just about the perfect color. I used coupons on them so I paid about $1 for each. Now, I just need to order some names from a vinyl seller on Etsy and I'm done! :)

I do like the idea of a survival kt!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I got my Maid of Honor a necklace from Park Lane Jewels.

If she chooses to wear w/her dress - fine. If not, that's fine too.

The two high school nieces may do a solo during the wedding ceremony. If so, then I gotta figure out what thank you gift for them. I may get them a lesser priced necklace from Park Lane Jewels.

Why Park Lane, they have a deal -- if spend $XX dollars, you get XX number of pieces at $12 and then XX number of free pieces.
    That's how I ended up getting a necklace for MOH and several for myself... (HEY, ya gotta take care of yourself!)
  • Tinker1208
    Options
    I got my girls jewelry to wear the day of and I am making a monogrammed tote bag for each with my mom. I ordered these cute wine glass flutes with thier name written on them from Etsy.....they are plastic!!! So i want to return them because I didn't know and they look really cheap. I got my junior bridesmaid and groomsmen and two flowergirls cute little mason jars with lids to put a straw through. They come with stick on chalkboard so I can write thier name on it with chalk. I am going to look for different wine glasses ( not plastic ones lol) and I was also thinking of throwing a lip gloss in with all that. I will probably get my flowergirls their headbands so wear that day as well.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Cool, good to know about the rehearsal dinner- that does make sense. I'll probably have to do it earlier since by that time, they'll already have all their stuff with them (we're staying at a hotel together that night, assuming the rehearsal is the night before the wedding). I'm hoping to help them avoid needing to pack all that stuff. My fiance hasn't even thought about it yet, lol!

The flask idea is really fun but I can see the predicament! I wonder if you could do personalized travel coffee mugs or water bottles or something for the others, and you could fill them with mini coffee bags or candy or something. Just a thought :smile:

That's actually a really great idea! I might do that. :) I forgot, we are also paying for the wedding parties hotel rooms for 1 night so they can stay there for 4 nights instead of only 3 and have the day after the wedding as a relaxing day to go around and explore. ^_^ But I want to do something special for each of them for their gifts, and I want it to be something that they can use after the wedding instead of having to put it away in storage and have it not be used... I'm kind of a "green" person, not totally, but I love being able to re-use things.
  • Moxie42
    Options

That's actually a really great idea! I might do that. :) I forgot, we are also paying for the wedding parties hotel rooms for 1 night so they can stay there for 4 nights instead of only 3 and have the day after the wedding as a relaxing day to go around and explore. ^_^ But I want to do something special for each of them for their gifts, and I want it to be something that they can use after the wedding instead of having to put it away in storage and have it not be used... I'm kind of a "green" person, not totally, but I love being able to re-use things.

I hear ya! That's why I'm using seed-paper for my favors (making little bunches of "grapes" to keep a vintage vineyard theme, and they'll go on the placecards so it's a money-saving two-in-one) - it's not something that will be eaten and gone in 5 seconds...but it won't sit on a shelf either. If it gets thrown away, at least it's biodegradable; otherwise it can be planted to grow flowers!